Boxing News 2014: Provodnikov Loses WBO Junior Welterweight Title to Algieri in New York Bout
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 16, 2014 12:19 AM EST
Prior to the surprise loss of his junior welterweight on Saturday night in New York to Chris Algieri, Russian boxer Ruslan Provoknikov was considered a serious contender to be Manny Pacquiao's opponent in the Filipino boxer's bout on Nov 27 in Macau.
Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines hits undefeated WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley of the U.S. with a right during their title fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada April 12, 2014
Although Provodnikov hit the canvas twice in the bout, he lasted 12 rounds but lost the bout after the judges Don Trella and Tom Schreck scored it 114-122 in favour of Algieri, while Max DeLuca scored it 117-109 for Provodnikov.
The results boosted Algieri's stats to 20-0, of which 8 are knockouts, while Provodnikov's record is now 23-3, 16 of which are KOs. It was his first defense of the title.
An article in ESPN on Thursday stated that winning the match vs Algieri is needed for Pacquiao to consider picking Provodnikov, although the doors have not yet officially closed, especially if Mexican boxer Juan Manuel Marquez, who is expected to be high on the list, turns down a chance to have a fifth match with Pacquiao.
If ever the Pacquiao-Provodnikov match would take place, it would put coach Freddie Roach in a bind because both boxers are his wards. While Pacquiao is his number one fighter, he considers Provodnikov a good boxer too with a promising boxing career.
Roach said he would likely just stay in the background and watch the bout on television.
However, Provodnikov's promoter assured Roach that he would provide the coach a ringside seat which the American coach believes should be held in the U.S., not in Macau as Top Rank Promotions head Bob Arum plans it.
Here are the highlights of the Provodnikov-Algiers fight.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar