Boxing News 2014: Provodnikov Loses WBO Junior Welterweight Title to Algieri in New York Bout
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 16, 2014 12:19 AM EST
Prior to the surprise loss of his junior welterweight on Saturday night in New York to Chris Algieri, Russian boxer Ruslan Provoknikov was considered a serious contender to be Manny Pacquiao's opponent in the Filipino boxer's bout on Nov 27 in Macau.
Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines hits undefeated WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley of the U.S. with a right during their title fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada April 12, 2014
Although Provodnikov hit the canvas twice in the bout, he lasted 12 rounds but lost the bout after the judges Don Trella and Tom Schreck scored it 114-122 in favour of Algieri, while Max DeLuca scored it 117-109 for Provodnikov.
The results boosted Algieri's stats to 20-0, of which 8 are knockouts, while Provodnikov's record is now 23-3, 16 of which are KOs. It was his first defense of the title.
An article in ESPN on Thursday stated that winning the match vs Algieri is needed for Pacquiao to consider picking Provodnikov, although the doors have not yet officially closed, especially if Mexican boxer Juan Manuel Marquez, who is expected to be high on the list, turns down a chance to have a fifth match with Pacquiao.
If ever the Pacquiao-Provodnikov match would take place, it would put coach Freddie Roach in a bind because both boxers are his wards. While Pacquiao is his number one fighter, he considers Provodnikov a good boxer too with a promising boxing career.
Roach said he would likely just stay in the background and watch the bout on television.
However, Provodnikov's promoter assured Roach that he would provide the coach a ringside seat which the American coach believes should be held in the U.S., not in Macau as Top Rank Promotions head Bob Arum plans it.
Here are the highlights of the Provodnikov-Algiers fight.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics, Swimming Schedule & Results
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On