Boxing News 2014: Provodnikov Loses WBO Junior Welterweight Title to Algieri in New York Bout
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 16, 2014 12:19 AM EST
Prior to the surprise loss of his junior welterweight on Saturday night in New York to Chris Algieri, Russian boxer Ruslan Provoknikov was considered a serious contender to be Manny Pacquiao's opponent in the Filipino boxer's bout on Nov 27 in Macau.
Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines hits undefeated WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley of the U.S. with a right during their title fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada April 12, 2014
Although Provodnikov hit the canvas twice in the bout, he lasted 12 rounds but lost the bout after the judges Don Trella and Tom Schreck scored it 114-122 in favour of Algieri, while Max DeLuca scored it 117-109 for Provodnikov.
The results boosted Algieri's stats to 20-0, of which 8 are knockouts, while Provodnikov's record is now 23-3, 16 of which are KOs. It was his first defense of the title.
An article in ESPN on Thursday stated that winning the match vs Algieri is needed for Pacquiao to consider picking Provodnikov, although the doors have not yet officially closed, especially if Mexican boxer Juan Manuel Marquez, who is expected to be high on the list, turns down a chance to have a fifth match with Pacquiao.
If ever the Pacquiao-Provodnikov match would take place, it would put coach Freddie Roach in a bind because both boxers are his wards. While Pacquiao is his number one fighter, he considers Provodnikov a good boxer too with a promising boxing career.
Roach said he would likely just stay in the background and watch the bout on television.
However, Provodnikov's promoter assured Roach that he would provide the coach a ringside seat which the American coach believes should be held in the U.S., not in Macau as Top Rank Promotions head Bob Arum plans it.
Here are the highlights of the Provodnikov-Algiers fight.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- Iggy Azalea Sex Tape: The Story So Far
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Superfight Won’t Happen Because Floyd Is Scared Of Left-Handed Boxers, Pacman - Bob Arum
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone