Boxing News 2014: Provodnikov Loses WBO Junior Welterweight Title to Algieri in New York Bout
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 16, 2014 12:19 AM EST
Prior to the surprise loss of his junior welterweight on Saturday night in New York to Chris Algieri, Russian boxer Ruslan Provoknikov was considered a serious contender to be Manny Pacquiao's opponent in the Filipino boxer's bout on Nov 27 in Macau.
Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines hits undefeated WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley of the U.S. with a right during their title fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada April 12, 2014
Although Provodnikov hit the canvas twice in the bout, he lasted 12 rounds but lost the bout after the judges Don Trella and Tom Schreck scored it 114-122 in favour of Algieri, while Max DeLuca scored it 117-109 for Provodnikov.
The results boosted Algieri's stats to 20-0, of which 8 are knockouts, while Provodnikov's record is now 23-3, 16 of which are KOs. It was his first defense of the title.
An article in ESPN on Thursday stated that winning the match vs Algieri is needed for Pacquiao to consider picking Provodnikov, although the doors have not yet officially closed, especially if Mexican boxer Juan Manuel Marquez, who is expected to be high on the list, turns down a chance to have a fifth match with Pacquiao.
If ever the Pacquiao-Provodnikov match would take place, it would put coach Freddie Roach in a bind because both boxers are his wards. While Pacquiao is his number one fighter, he considers Provodnikov a good boxer too with a promising boxing career.
Roach said he would likely just stay in the background and watch the bout on television.
However, Provodnikov's promoter assured Roach that he would provide the coach a ringside seat which the American coach believes should be held in the U.S., not in Macau as Top Rank Promotions head Bob Arum plans it.
Here are the highlights of the Provodnikov-Algiers fight.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan