World Cup Live Stream: Switzerland – Ecuador Preview, Schedule and Betting Odds
By James Patrick Quizon | June 15, 2014 10:49 PM EST
Switzerland and Ecuador open the action in Group E in the 2014 World Cup at the Estadio Nacional Brasiliaon on Sunday 1:00 pm local time (2:00 am in Australia).
Members of Ecuador's national soccer team run past a net during a training session at the National stadium in Brasilia, June 14, 2014. Ecuador will play in a Group E match against Switzerland on June 15.
Neither team is pegged to go far in the tournament but advancing to the next round will be considered a small success as La Nati and La Tricolor
are priced at 1.53 and 2.00, respectively to survive the group also featuring favourite France (1.20) and Honduras (7.00).
Switzerland coach Ottmar Hitzfeld is confident that his crew will do better after the experience in 2010 in South Africa where they upset eventual WC champions Spain during the early rounds.
"We started a transition four years ago, we have rejuvenated the group of experienced players," said Hitzfeld via the tournament’s official website.
"The team are better, more attacking, more creative with better organisation than in 2010. Switzerland are well-organised, capable of quickly switching from defence to attack. The players are tense, that's normal, but we have the experience to counter that."
Switzerland surprised Spain, 1-0 four years ago but failed to advance to the KO stage with a loss to Chile and a draw with Honduras.
Veteran midfielder Edison Mendez, who at 36-years-old and 111 caps for the NT will most likely be playing in his final WC, will lead Ecuador.
“My aim is to make the most of every minute, of each training session and perform to the maximum with my team-mates," said the veteran.
Switzerland is favoured to win the match at 1.61 while Ecuador is at 2.23. In the three-way betting it’s Switzerland at 2.40, Ecuador at 3.30 and a Draw at 3.10.
Potential Starting 11:
Switzerland (4-2-3-1): Drmic; Stocker, Von Bergen, Schar, Shagiri; Behrami, Inler; Rodriguez, Von Bergen, Scar; Benaglio.
Ecuador (4-4-2): Dominguez; Paredes, Guagua, Erazo, Ayovi; A Valencia, Noboa, Gruezo, Mentero; Caicedo, E Valencia.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys