World Cup Live Stream: Switzerland – Ecuador Preview, Schedule and Betting Odds
By James Patrick Quizon | June 15, 2014 10:49 PM EST
Switzerland and Ecuador open the action in Group E in the 2014 World Cup at the Estadio Nacional Brasiliaon on Sunday 1:00 pm local time (2:00 am in Australia).
Members of Ecuador's national soccer team run past a net during a training session at the National stadium in Brasilia, June 14, 2014. Ecuador will play in a Group E match against Switzerland on June 15.
Neither team is pegged to go far in the tournament but advancing to the next round will be considered a small success as La Nati and La Tricolor
are priced at 1.53 and 2.00, respectively to survive the group also featuring favourite France (1.20) and Honduras (7.00).
Switzerland coach Ottmar Hitzfeld is confident that his crew will do better after the experience in 2010 in South Africa where they upset eventual WC champions Spain during the early rounds.
"We started a transition four years ago, we have rejuvenated the group of experienced players," said Hitzfeld via the tournament’s official website.
"The team are better, more attacking, more creative with better organisation than in 2010. Switzerland are well-organised, capable of quickly switching from defence to attack. The players are tense, that's normal, but we have the experience to counter that."
Switzerland surprised Spain, 1-0 four years ago but failed to advance to the KO stage with a loss to Chile and a draw with Honduras.
Veteran midfielder Edison Mendez, who at 36-years-old and 111 caps for the NT will most likely be playing in his final WC, will lead Ecuador.
“My aim is to make the most of every minute, of each training session and perform to the maximum with my team-mates," said the veteran.
Switzerland is favoured to win the match at 1.61 while Ecuador is at 2.23. In the three-way betting it’s Switzerland at 2.40, Ecuador at 3.30 and a Draw at 3.10.
Potential Starting 11:
Switzerland (4-2-3-1): Drmic; Stocker, Von Bergen, Schar, Shagiri; Behrami, Inler; Rodriguez, Von Bergen, Scar; Benaglio.
Ecuador (4-4-2): Dominguez; Paredes, Guagua, Erazo, Ayovi; A Valencia, Noboa, Gruezo, Mentero; Caicedo, E Valencia.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown