Angelina Jolie Now an Honorary Dame, Honoured by Queen Elizabeth II
By Anne Lu | June 14, 2014 12:32 PM EST
Angelina Jolie is now an honorary dame. The Hollywood superstar and United Nations special envoy has been singled out for recognition in Queen Elizabeth II’s Birthday Honours for her work against sexual violence in war zones.
Actress and campaigner Angelina Jolie arrives at a summit to end sexual violence in conflict, at the Excel centre in London June 13, 2014. REUTERS/Luke MacGregor
The 39-year-old actress is an active campaigner against sexual violence and the use of rape as a weapon of war. She was in London to co-host an international summit on the subject.
She received the honour, which is the female version of a knight, on Friday.
As a non-British or non-Commonwealth citizen, Jolie, an American, is not entitled to be addressed as Dame, but only receives the award on an honorary basis.
“To receive an honour related to foreign policy means a great deal to me, as it is what I wish to dedicate my working life to,” Jolie said of the honour.
“Working on PVSI and with survivors of rape is an honour in itself. I know that succeeding in our goals will take a lifetime, and I am dedicated to it for all of mine.”
PVSI is Preventing Sexual Violence Initiative, of which Jolie is a co-founder.
Joining Jolie in Queen Elizabeth’s Honours List are actors Daniel Day-Lewis, Maggie Smith and “Homeland” star Damian Lewis.
Day-Lewis was awarded a knighthood for services to drama, Smith joined the elite Companion of Honour order, while Lewis landed an Order of the British Empire (OBE), also for his services to drama.
The late British blogger Stephen Sutton was also singled out for his charitable efforts. Sutton, who died of colorectal cancer on May 14, 2014 at the age of 19, is known for his blog Stephen’s Story, and was able to raise over £4 million for the Teenage Cancer Trust.
His mother Jane thought it was “an incredible honour,” saying, “though Stephen continually told all of us that he didn’t do charity work for recognition, even he acknowledged that to be appointed a Memberof the Order of the British Empire was awesome.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’: Blake And Louise Tell The True Story
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Oct. 20-24 Spoilers: An ‘Unexpected Visitor’ Changes Everything For Sami Plus Updates On Salemites
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Oct. 20-24, 2014, Plus Additional Spoilers For Oct. 27, 2014: Nina Makes Public Rosalie’s Secret
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored