Angelina Jolie Now an Honorary Dame, Honoured by Queen Elizabeth II
By Anne Lu | June 14, 2014 12:32 PM EST
Angelina Jolie is now an honorary dame. The Hollywood superstar and United Nations special envoy has been singled out for recognition in Queen Elizabeth II’s Birthday Honours for her work against sexual violence in war zones.
Actress and campaigner Angelina Jolie arrives at a summit to end sexual violence in conflict, at the Excel centre in London June 13, 2014. REUTERS/Luke MacGregor
The 39-year-old actress is an active campaigner against sexual violence and the use of rape as a weapon of war. She was in London to co-host an international summit on the subject.
She received the honour, which is the female version of a knight, on Friday.
As a non-British or non-Commonwealth citizen, Jolie, an American, is not entitled to be addressed as Dame, but only receives the award on an honorary basis.
“To receive an honour related to foreign policy means a great deal to me, as it is what I wish to dedicate my working life to,” Jolie said of the honour.
“Working on PVSI and with survivors of rape is an honour in itself. I know that succeeding in our goals will take a lifetime, and I am dedicated to it for all of mine.”
PVSI is Preventing Sexual Violence Initiative, of which Jolie is a co-founder.
Joining Jolie in Queen Elizabeth’s Honours List are actors Daniel Day-Lewis, Maggie Smith and “Homeland” star Damian Lewis.
Day-Lewis was awarded a knighthood for services to drama, Smith joined the elite Companion of Honour order, while Lewis landed an Order of the British Empire (OBE), also for his services to drama.
The late British blogger Stephen Sutton was also singled out for his charitable efforts. Sutton, who died of colorectal cancer on May 14, 2014 at the age of 19, is known for his blog Stephen’s Story, and was able to raise over £4 million for the Teenage Cancer Trust.
His mother Jane thought it was “an incredible honour,” saying, “though Stephen continually told all of us that he didn’t do charity work for recognition, even he acknowledged that to be appointed a Memberof the Order of the British Empire was awesome.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic says ‘Back in the Saddle’, Beckett, Castle Romance to Grow Stronger
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- BlackBerry Passport Video Leak, Release Date, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate [Watch YouTube Clip] --Reports