Angelina Jolie Now an Honorary Dame, Honoured by Queen Elizabeth II
By Anne Lu | June 14, 2014 12:32 PM EST
Angelina Jolie is now an honorary dame. The Hollywood superstar and United Nations special envoy has been singled out for recognition in Queen Elizabeth II’s Birthday Honours for her work against sexual violence in war zones.
Actress and campaigner Angelina Jolie arrives at a summit to end sexual violence in conflict, at the Excel centre in London June 13, 2014. REUTERS/Luke MacGregor
The 39-year-old actress is an active campaigner against sexual violence and the use of rape as a weapon of war. She was in London to co-host an international summit on the subject.
She received the honour, which is the female version of a knight, on Friday.
As a non-British or non-Commonwealth citizen, Jolie, an American, is not entitled to be addressed as Dame, but only receives the award on an honorary basis.
“To receive an honour related to foreign policy means a great deal to me, as it is what I wish to dedicate my working life to,” Jolie said of the honour.
“Working on PVSI and with survivors of rape is an honour in itself. I know that succeeding in our goals will take a lifetime, and I am dedicated to it for all of mine.”
PVSI is Preventing Sexual Violence Initiative, of which Jolie is a co-founder.
Joining Jolie in Queen Elizabeth’s Honours List are actors Daniel Day-Lewis, Maggie Smith and “Homeland” star Damian Lewis.
Day-Lewis was awarded a knighthood for services to drama, Smith joined the elite Companion of Honour order, while Lewis landed an Order of the British Empire (OBE), also for his services to drama.
The late British blogger Stephen Sutton was also singled out for his charitable efforts. Sutton, who died of colorectal cancer on May 14, 2014 at the age of 19, is known for his blog Stephen’s Story, and was able to raise over £4 million for the Teenage Cancer Trust.
His mother Jane thought it was “an incredible honour,” saying, “though Stephen continually told all of us that he didn’t do charity work for recognition, even he acknowledged that to be appointed a Memberof the Order of the British Empire was awesome.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy 2’ Nebula Is Alive And James Gunn Wants Fans To See More Of Her
- Selena Gomez And Justin Bieber: Songstress Fears Pregnancy After Experiencing Pregnancy Symptoms—Report
- 'American Horror Story' Season 4 Episode 8 Spoilers: Big Twist Features Dandy In Blood Bath
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Episode 11 On Hold, Return Date, Title And Synopsis Of New Episode
- ‘The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies’ New Images Of Bard And Smaug In Battle
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report