Angelina Jolie Now an Honorary Dame, Honoured by Queen Elizabeth II
By Anne Lu | June 14, 2014 12:32 PM EST
Angelina Jolie is now an honorary dame. The Hollywood superstar and United Nations special envoy has been singled out for recognition in Queen Elizabeth II’s Birthday Honours for her work against sexual violence in war zones.
Actress and campaigner Angelina Jolie arrives at a summit to end sexual violence in conflict, at the Excel centre in London June 13, 2014. REUTERS/Luke MacGregor
The 39-year-old actress is an active campaigner against sexual violence and the use of rape as a weapon of war. She was in London to co-host an international summit on the subject.
She received the honour, which is the female version of a knight, on Friday.
As a non-British or non-Commonwealth citizen, Jolie, an American, is not entitled to be addressed as Dame, but only receives the award on an honorary basis.
“To receive an honour related to foreign policy means a great deal to me, as it is what I wish to dedicate my working life to,” Jolie said of the honour.
“Working on PVSI and with survivors of rape is an honour in itself. I know that succeeding in our goals will take a lifetime, and I am dedicated to it for all of mine.”
PVSI is Preventing Sexual Violence Initiative, of which Jolie is a co-founder.
Joining Jolie in Queen Elizabeth’s Honours List are actors Daniel Day-Lewis, Maggie Smith and “Homeland” star Damian Lewis.
Day-Lewis was awarded a knighthood for services to drama, Smith joined the elite Companion of Honour order, while Lewis landed an Order of the British Empire (OBE), also for his services to drama.
The late British blogger Stephen Sutton was also singled out for his charitable efforts. Sutton, who died of colorectal cancer on May 14, 2014 at the age of 19, is known for his blog Stephen’s Story, and was able to raise over £4 million for the Teenage Cancer Trust.
His mother Jane thought it was “an incredible honour,” saying, “though Stephen continually told all of us that he didn’t do charity work for recognition, even he acknowledged that to be appointed a Memberof the Order of the British Empire was awesome.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Shocking Inside Stories Of Prince Charles and Princess Diana Revealed By Former Press Officer
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Spoilers: Queen Elsa Of 'Frozen' May Not Be The Big Villain (Premiere Date In A Week's Time)
- Another Celebrity Nude Photo Leak: Naked Pics Of Liam Payne And Kim Kardashian Uploaded Online
- Madonna Posts Video Of Son Hailed As Possibly The Next Dancing Prodigy
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Sept. 22-26 Spoilers: Updates On Nick And Sharon’s Wedding, Hilary, Neil, Phyllis, Chelsea, Billy And More
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border