‘Downton Abbey’ Season 5 Update: Anna’s Rape to ‘Not’ Resolve and Disappear
By Anshu Shrivastava | June 13, 2014 7:31 PM EST
The Season 4 of "Downton Abbey" featured the brutal rape of Anna by valet Green. The episode featuring Anna's rape was one of the most talked-about episodes of Season 4, and the reactions were extreme. Joanne Froggatt, who plays Anna, has indicated that everyone is still struggling to deal with Anna's rape. She also revealed that the upcoming "Downton Abbey" Season 5 will feature the unresolved issues and conflicts of Season 4.
"Some things from season four carry over into season five. It's not just resolved and they move forward with their lives. They're still struggling to deal with what's happened to Anna. It doesn't simply resolve and disappear," Froggatt said to The Hollywood Reporter (THR).
Talking about her character's rape in Season 4, Froggat said that she really thought that it was an important issue to tackle. "And of course, it was quite a shocking thing to have happen to Anna, the British actress said.
In the interview with THR, Froggat revealed that she did a lot of research on victims of sexual before shooting for the rape scene. Talking about the different reactions, the actress said, "one of the most fascinating things I found was what this might cause for a person of Anna's social standing in the early 20th century."
After the telecast of the episode, most of the reactions suggested that Anna should tell someone or confide in Mr Bates so that he could help her. Froggat said, "... you have to remember in that day and time, a woman didn't have many rights. A working-class woman of Anna's social background would be totally dependent on her reputation. And society would have seen it as a mark on her. It would have ruined her whole life. It would have been seen as, 'Well, he's a man; he can't help himself."
Froggat did not reveal whether Mr Bates is feeling guilty about killing the rapist. When THR asked about that, the actress said, "Well, I couldn't possibly comment on that! But time will tell."
The filming of "Downton Abbey" Season 5 is scheduled to wrap-up by August's end, according to Frogatt.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- NCIS Season 12 Spoilers: Fans Fear Cote de Pablo Not Coming Back, Tony DiNozzo Moving On from Ziva David
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Report: Duchess Expecting a Baby Girl, Prince William Wants 3 Kids [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown