‘Downton Abbey’ Season 5 Update: Anna’s Rape to ‘Not’ Resolve and Disappear
By Anshu Shrivastava | June 13, 2014 7:31 PM EST
The Season 4 of "Downton Abbey" featured the brutal rape of Anna by valet Green. The episode featuring Anna's rape was one of the most talked-about episodes of Season 4, and the reactions were extreme. Joanne Froggatt, who plays Anna, has indicated that everyone is still struggling to deal with Anna's rape. She also revealed that the upcoming "Downton Abbey" Season 5 will feature the unresolved issues and conflicts of Season 4.
"Some things from season four carry over into season five. It's not just resolved and they move forward with their lives. They're still struggling to deal with what's happened to Anna. It doesn't simply resolve and disappear," Froggatt said to The Hollywood Reporter (THR).
Talking about her character's rape in Season 4, Froggat said that she really thought that it was an important issue to tackle. "And of course, it was quite a shocking thing to have happen to Anna, the British actress said.
In the interview with THR, Froggat revealed that she did a lot of research on victims of sexual before shooting for the rape scene. Talking about the different reactions, the actress said, "one of the most fascinating things I found was what this might cause for a person of Anna's social standing in the early 20th century."
After the telecast of the episode, most of the reactions suggested that Anna should tell someone or confide in Mr Bates so that he could help her. Froggat said, "... you have to remember in that day and time, a woman didn't have many rights. A working-class woman of Anna's social background would be totally dependent on her reputation. And society would have seen it as a mark on her. It would have ruined her whole life. It would have been seen as, 'Well, he's a man; he can't help himself."
Froggat did not reveal whether Mr Bates is feeling guilty about killing the rapist. When THR asked about that, the actress said, "Well, I couldn't possibly comment on that! But time will tell."
The filming of "Downton Abbey" Season 5 is scheduled to wrap-up by August's end, according to Frogatt.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Filming Spoilers: Beardless Rick Grimes Seems To Be On The Set
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 1, 2014: Hope Reveals Something To Wyatt And Katie Almost Loses A Loved One [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘Orange is the New Black Story’ Season 3 Update: New Corrections Officer To Be Introduced, Likely To Take Pornstache's Position At Litchfield Penitentiary
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Season 2 Preview: Someone Drops The L Bomb, Marriage Proposal In Season Finale
- “American Horror Story” Season 4 Spoilers: Emma Roberts' Maggie And Evan Peters’ Jimmy Darling To Be In A Romantic Relationship
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build