Miami Heat LeBron James Co-Creates Beats by Dre Wireless Sports Earphones, The Powerbeats 2
By Tanya Diente | June 13, 2014 7:26 PM EST
Fresh from last month's acquisition by Apple, Beats by Dre continues to release new models for its 2014 product lineup. This includes the Powerbeats 2, the first wireless sports earphones from Beats by Dre co-created by Miami Heat's LeBron James.
A man listens to Beats brand headphones on a street in New York, May 29, 2014. Apple Inc will buy Beats for about $3 billion and bring recording mogul Jimmy Iovine into its ranks, hoping to win points with the music industry and help it catch up in fast-growing music streaming. As expected, Beats co-founders Iovine and rapper Dr. Dre will join Apple as part of the acquisition of the music streaming and audio equipment company.
There's no stopping Beats by Dre when it comes to releasing new products for its personal audio lineups. A day after the Apple acquisition on May 28, Beats by Dre had revealed a redesign of its most popular headphone model, the Beats Solo 2. Now Beats by Dre has unveiled another new product, the Powerbeats 2.
According to Cnet , Powerbeats 2 is the first ever bluetooth earphones from Beats by Dre. It is inspired and co-created by Miami Heat player and former MVP LeBron James. The original wired Powerbeats from Beats by Dre was also modeled by LeBron James and enjoyed great market success thanks to his unforgettable TV commercial (see video below).
The Powerbeats 2 features Bluetooth 4.0 for its wireless connection. The bluetooth connection is compatible with any bluetooth-enabled gadget.
Powerbeats 2 is marketed towards people who lead an active lifestyle or into sports. Thus they are IPX4 certified, which means water splashed against the enclosure from any direction does no damage to the earphones. Simply, Powerbeats 2 is only sweat-proof and not waterproof since it can only withstand splashes.
Powerbeats 2 features 6 hours of playtime at full charge. It also features an LED indicator for the battery level. Fortunately, a quick 15-minute recharge gives enough power for another hour of workout.
Powerbeats 2 features a modified audio quality to deliver more music clarity. With the Powerbeats 2, Beats by Dre has gone away with the over-emphasized heavy bass tones common in older headphone/earphone models, such as the Beats Solo.
Powerbeats 2 according to Engadget, features a similar design with the original Powerbeats model from Beats by Dre. It features a single, flat and tangle-free cable designed to connect both right and left earphones. Powerbeats 2 also features a 3-button in-line remote designed to control the microphone, the volume and track selection, and also controls the receive or end calls.
Beats by Dre has included silicone ear tips of varying sizes with the Powerbeats 2 to ensure a secure ear fit. The ear hooks can also be bent to fit around the ears. Powerbeats 2 also features a small cable management clip, marked with the beats logo, designed to help adjust the length of the wire. The outer panel of each Powerbeats 2 earphones is embossed with the signature Beats by Dre logo, with the Powerbeats livery closely beside them.
Powerbeats 2 also features a Micro USB charging port which is located at the bottom part of the left earphone, hidden by the flap of a small rubber dustcover.
Retail Box Contents
Powerbeats 2 from Beats by Dre costs $199.95 before taxes. The retail box includes the Powerbeats 2 bluetooth earphones, a carrying case, a universal Micro USB cable, the cable management clip, a few silicone ear tips, and the Powerbeats 2 manual.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- More ‘FIFA 15’ Issues Found in Companion App And Luis Suarez Ban; A PS4 Physical Disc Bundle Spotted
- Get Invite Codes to Ello the Social Networking Site That Is Viral On the Internet
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire’ Demo Distribution Method For Australia Revealed, More Info Coming
- ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity’ And ‘Rogue’: New Trailer Shows Off Customisation As Rogue PC Version Gets Spotted In UPlay
- 'Super Smash Bros' For Nintendo 3DS XL Can Hamper Gaming Experience Due To More Resistant Circle Pad
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate