'Elder Scrolls Online' How Bots Ruin Gameplay and What Players and Developers Can Do About It
By Ryan Inoyori | June 13, 2014 6:28 PM EST
'Elder Scrolls Online' is suffering bot plague just like any other MMORPG available. Zenimax Online Studios is doing everything they can to stop the crisis and prevent in-game effects of bots.
Know the facts on how bots in ESO can ruin gameplay and economy, and what can be done to counteract them.
ESO Bot Plague
"Elder Scrolls Online" director Matt Firor described the current state of the game and the range of the gold spammers and bots that comprise most of the complaints.
"The scope of the black market activity accounts for up 85 per cent of customer service emails and calls. Because of this huge influx of contact relating to this one issue, our CS team has been slower to react to other problems than planned - our sincere apologies if you have been held up for a long period of time waiting for CS to respond to you. Again, our goal is to keep this activity away from you so you don't have to contact customer service in the first place," Firor's statement at the forums.
In technical terms, bots are programs controlling characters in autopilot and perform activities like any other playable characters except they kill monsters all over again, getting experience and gold without actual player control.
ESO Bot Facts and What Can Be Done
Bots are also methods for scamming which can steal private information such as credit card details. Based on SkyrimFansite.com, bots may affect the entire game including players with the following factors:
1. Criminals may create accounts and release bots to steal private data such as credit card details.
2. Bots can infest the entire game and mine gold all over again.
3. Mined gold is sold to buyers for real cash.
Fault on why bots exist inside MMORPGs are viewed differently and people should consider the factors between the opportunists, players and the developer.
- Bots may be used to perform crime.
- Bots may be created to cheat and bypass in-game restrictions.
- Bots can be an easy way to buy in-game stuff such as gold from bot makers.
- Off-game purchases of in-game items keep the bot business going.
- Developers lack the proper and precise solution to put a stop against bots.
ESO players can help developers fight bots by performing certain countermeasures:
1. Increase the strength of the account authenticity and payment processing system.
2. File reports to the support team for any gold spamming.
3. Notify moderators regarding off-game purchases of in-game items.
For the developer, there are some suggestions as well which can help manage the occurrence and population of bots.
1. More in-game moderators to monitor game activity.
2. New ways to identify players, more accurate methods determine who purchases gold and ban accounts for any illegal activities.
3. Release new patches regularly to make it difficult for bot makers to push in their characters.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Android 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 KitKat Still Delayed for Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note 3
- PS4 News: 2 Possible Sets of PS Plus Games for August 2014 Leaked and Additional Features for PS4
- GTA V Online: Money-Glitch Ban Goes After Cheaters as a New Zombie DLC Leak is Spotted
- HTC One Mini 2 vs. LG G2 Specs and Price Comparison in Australia
- Xbox One News: EA Subscription Effective for Microsoft’s Next-gen Console; Forza Horizon 2 Announces 16 More Cars
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’