Angelina Jolie Calling Director Ang Lee Taiwanese Spurs Attacks from Chinese Netizens, Sparks Nationality Wars
By Annie Dee | June 13, 2014 5:58 PM EST
"Maleficent" star, Angelina Jolie managed to offend Chinese people by making a simple comment. In an interview, she said famous director, Ang Lee is Taiwanese and this caused immediate outrage among the Chinese people. The Chinese were so offended they want to ban Jolie from ever entering China, the Guardian reports. It can be remembered that her husband, Brad Pitt was banned as well. Still, Jolie managed to bring Pitt to the country for this business trip.
Actress and campaigner Angelina Jolie and her partner, actor Brad Pitt look at photographs at a fringe event of a summit to end sexual violence in conflict at the Excel centre in London June 12, 2014. REUTERS/Luke MacGregor
While promoting Disney hit "Maleficent" in Shanghai, China, Angelina Jolie reportedly made a controversial comment that prompted Chinese citizens, especially netizens to call her names and requests to have her blacklisted from the country. Angelina Jolie is said to have insulted the Chinese people by calling Ang Lee, Taiwanese. Asked if she'll ever consider working with a Chinese director, Angelina committed a major slip up by saying, "I am not sure if you consider Ang Lee Chinese, he's Taiwanese, but he does many Chinese-language films with many Chinese artists and actors"
"I think his works and the actors in his films are the ones I am most familiar with and very fond of," Jolie added.
Whether Angelina Jolie did this on purpose to prove a point or she honestly thought it was a harmless comment is unclear. Intentional or not, the Chinese people who went on to attack and diss her do not care. Chinese people take the comment as Jolie's refusal to recognize Taiwan as part of China. By claiming Ang Lee is Taiwanese and whether he can be considered a Chinese, Jolie made Chinese communists, who strongly believe that Taiwan is a rogue state that is still part of China. Jolie's comment riled Chinese people who do not recognize Taiwan's sovereignty. Some of them even questioned the A-List actress's intelligence.
One netizen took to Weibo, one of the popular social media in China, and wrote: "In a moment of excitement, a brilliant woman became a stupid laughing stock." Other netizens equated the "Maleficent" star to a "deranged Taiwan independence supporter." Netizens did not stop here. They started warning people against watching "Maleficent" too or else they are traitors.
Naturally, she received support among Taiwan netizens. One person wrote: "Her comment about Ang Lee being Taiwanese shows she fully deserves to be the goodwill ambassador for the UN. She is not afraid to tell the truth."
It can be remembered that Angelina Jolie's husband is not well-accepted among Chinese people either. In fact, he was banned from entering the country after he appeared in the film "Seven Years in Tibet," which showed Dalai Lama in a good light while fighting against China's ownership of the region. This blacklist did not stop the actor from accompanying wife on this current promotion trip though.
A Shanghai spokesperson for Disney, the film's studio, produced a statement saying Jolie's comments reflect her own opinion and Disney does not have anything to do with it.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies