Angelina Jolie Calling Director Ang Lee Taiwanese Spurs Attacks from Chinese Netizens, Sparks Nationality Wars
By Annie Dee | June 13, 2014 5:58 PM EST
"Maleficent" star, Angelina Jolie managed to offend Chinese people by making a simple comment. In an interview, she said famous director, Ang Lee is Taiwanese and this caused immediate outrage among the Chinese people. The Chinese were so offended they want to ban Jolie from ever entering China, the Guardian reports. It can be remembered that her husband, Brad Pitt was banned as well. Still, Jolie managed to bring Pitt to the country for this business trip.
Actress and campaigner Angelina Jolie and her partner, actor Brad Pitt look at photographs at a fringe event of a summit to end sexual violence in conflict at the Excel centre in London June 12, 2014. REUTERS/Luke MacGregor
While promoting Disney hit "Maleficent" in Shanghai, China, Angelina Jolie reportedly made a controversial comment that prompted Chinese citizens, especially netizens to call her names and requests to have her blacklisted from the country. Angelina Jolie is said to have insulted the Chinese people by calling Ang Lee, Taiwanese. Asked if she'll ever consider working with a Chinese director, Angelina committed a major slip up by saying, "I am not sure if you consider Ang Lee Chinese, he's Taiwanese, but he does many Chinese-language films with many Chinese artists and actors"
"I think his works and the actors in his films are the ones I am most familiar with and very fond of," Jolie added.
Whether Angelina Jolie did this on purpose to prove a point or she honestly thought it was a harmless comment is unclear. Intentional or not, the Chinese people who went on to attack and diss her do not care. Chinese people take the comment as Jolie's refusal to recognize Taiwan as part of China. By claiming Ang Lee is Taiwanese and whether he can be considered a Chinese, Jolie made Chinese communists, who strongly believe that Taiwan is a rogue state that is still part of China. Jolie's comment riled Chinese people who do not recognize Taiwan's sovereignty. Some of them even questioned the A-List actress's intelligence.
One netizen took to Weibo, one of the popular social media in China, and wrote: "In a moment of excitement, a brilliant woman became a stupid laughing stock." Other netizens equated the "Maleficent" star to a "deranged Taiwan independence supporter." Netizens did not stop here. They started warning people against watching "Maleficent" too or else they are traitors.
Naturally, she received support among Taiwan netizens. One person wrote: "Her comment about Ang Lee being Taiwanese shows she fully deserves to be the goodwill ambassador for the UN. She is not afraid to tell the truth."
It can be remembered that Angelina Jolie's husband is not well-accepted among Chinese people either. In fact, he was banned from entering the country after he appeared in the film "Seven Years in Tibet," which showed Dalai Lama in a good light while fighting against China's ownership of the region. This blacklist did not stop the actor from accompanying wife on this current promotion trip though.
A Shanghai spokesperson for Disney, the film's studio, produced a statement saying Jolie's comments reflect her own opinion and Disney does not have anything to do with it.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Finale Performance Episode Recap, Spoilers: 6 Finalists Perform Their Last Acts To Win Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Skyler Samuels Roped In To Play Pivotal Role, Extended Teaser Released [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson And FKA Twigs Romance: Singer’s Twitter Post Sparks Pregnancy Reports Speculating The Couple Is Expecting Their First Baby
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2 Preview: Sam’s Fairy Tale Date, Belly Dancing Time, Who Exits
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone