2014 FIFA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Chile vs. Australia Preview and Betting Odds
By James Patrick Quizon | June 13, 2014 5:30 PM EST
Australia has never won against Chile in four meetings in World Cup history. The Socceroos can change that if they win as 6.5-to-1 underdogs against La Roja in their opening matches of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
Australia's national soccer team players Tim Cahill (C) and captain Mile Jedinak (R) run with teammates during a training session in the Arena Pantanal stadium in Cuiaba, June 12, 2014. Australia will play its first match of the 2014 World Cup against Chile on June 13 in Cuiaba.
La Roja is favoured to win the match by a mile (1.09) but one thing going for Australia is the status of Chilean midfielder Arturo Vidal who was doubtful due to an injury days leading up to the opener. A key player for Chile, Vidal underwent an operation on his knee due to a meniscus problem last May.
Vidal actually played in his team’s 2-0 friendly win versus Northern Island last Wednesday but suited up for only 15 minutes and has yet to rejoin the squad’s full practices.
Still, it will be a tough challenge for Australia, which is ranked the lowest (No 62 in the world) in this World Cup owing to a young and inexperienced squad.
"For a lot of these players it's their first go at the big stage and I'm sure there's a little bit of uncertainty in their heads. If we can get through those initial moments we'll be fine,” shared Ange Postecoglou, the Socceroos coach.
The Socceroos will look to veteran Tim Cahill, who scored his country’s first ever WC goals in Japan in 2006, to guide the young squad in Brazil.
Expectedly, Australia is not pegged to advance (13.00 to advance) from Group B, which also includes powerhouse teams Spain and Netherlands. Chile is considered the dark horse to qualify with 1.83 betting line to get a spot in the knockout rounds.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports