2014 FIFA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Chile vs. Australia Preview and Betting Odds
By James Patrick Quizon | June 13, 2014 5:30 PM EST
Australia has never won against Chile in four meetings in World Cup history. The Socceroos can change that if they win as 6.5-to-1 underdogs against La Roja in their opening matches of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
Australia's national soccer team players Tim Cahill (C) and captain Mile Jedinak (R) run with teammates during a training session in the Arena Pantanal stadium in Cuiaba, June 12, 2014. Australia will play its first match of the 2014 World Cup against Chile on June 13 in Cuiaba.
La Roja is favoured to win the match by a mile (1.09) but one thing going for Australia is the status of Chilean midfielder Arturo Vidal who was doubtful due to an injury days leading up to the opener. A key player for Chile, Vidal underwent an operation on his knee due to a meniscus problem last May.
Vidal actually played in his team’s 2-0 friendly win versus Northern Island last Wednesday but suited up for only 15 minutes and has yet to rejoin the squad’s full practices.
Still, it will be a tough challenge for Australia, which is ranked the lowest (No 62 in the world) in this World Cup owing to a young and inexperienced squad.
"For a lot of these players it's their first go at the big stage and I'm sure there's a little bit of uncertainty in their heads. If we can get through those initial moments we'll be fine,” shared Ange Postecoglou, the Socceroos coach.
The Socceroos will look to veteran Tim Cahill, who scored his country’s first ever WC goals in Japan in 2006, to guide the young squad in Brazil.
Expectedly, Australia is not pegged to advance (13.00 to advance) from Group B, which also includes powerhouse teams Spain and Netherlands. Chile is considered the dark horse to qualify with 1.83 betting line to get a spot in the knockout rounds.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon