2014 FIFA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Chile vs. Australia Preview and Betting Odds
By James Patrick Quizon | June 13, 2014 5:30 PM EST
Australia has never won against Chile in four meetings in World Cup history. The Socceroos can change that if they win as 6.5-to-1 underdogs against La Roja in their opening matches of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
Australia's national soccer team players Tim Cahill (C) and captain Mile Jedinak (R) run with teammates during a training session in the Arena Pantanal stadium in Cuiaba, June 12, 2014. Australia will play its first match of the 2014 World Cup against Chile on June 13 in Cuiaba.
La Roja is favoured to win the match by a mile (1.09) but one thing going for Australia is the status of Chilean midfielder Arturo Vidal who was doubtful due to an injury days leading up to the opener. A key player for Chile, Vidal underwent an operation on his knee due to a meniscus problem last May.
Vidal actually played in his team’s 2-0 friendly win versus Northern Island last Wednesday but suited up for only 15 minutes and has yet to rejoin the squad’s full practices.
Still, it will be a tough challenge for Australia, which is ranked the lowest (No 62 in the world) in this World Cup owing to a young and inexperienced squad.
"For a lot of these players it's their first go at the big stage and I'm sure there's a little bit of uncertainty in their heads. If we can get through those initial moments we'll be fine,” shared Ange Postecoglou, the Socceroos coach.
The Socceroos will look to veteran Tim Cahill, who scored his country’s first ever WC goals in Japan in 2006, to guide the young squad in Brazil.
Expectedly, Australia is not pegged to advance (13.00 to advance) from Group B, which also includes powerhouse teams Spain and Netherlands. Chile is considered the dark horse to qualify with 1.83 betting line to get a spot in the knockout rounds.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage