2014 FIFA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Chile vs. Australia Preview and Betting Odds
By James Patrick Quizon | June 13, 2014 5:30 PM EST
Australia has never won against Chile in four meetings in World Cup history. The Socceroos can change that if they win as 6.5-to-1 underdogs against La Roja in their opening matches of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
Australia's national soccer team players Tim Cahill (C) and captain Mile Jedinak (R) run with teammates during a training session in the Arena Pantanal stadium in Cuiaba, June 12, 2014. Australia will play its first match of the 2014 World Cup against Chile on June 13 in Cuiaba.
La Roja is favoured to win the match by a mile (1.09) but one thing going for Australia is the status of Chilean midfielder Arturo Vidal who was doubtful due to an injury days leading up to the opener. A key player for Chile, Vidal underwent an operation on his knee due to a meniscus problem last May.
Vidal actually played in his team’s 2-0 friendly win versus Northern Island last Wednesday but suited up for only 15 minutes and has yet to rejoin the squad’s full practices.
Still, it will be a tough challenge for Australia, which is ranked the lowest (No 62 in the world) in this World Cup owing to a young and inexperienced squad.
"For a lot of these players it's their first go at the big stage and I'm sure there's a little bit of uncertainty in their heads. If we can get through those initial moments we'll be fine,” shared Ange Postecoglou, the Socceroos coach.
The Socceroos will look to veteran Tim Cahill, who scored his country’s first ever WC goals in Japan in 2006, to guide the young squad in Brazil.
Expectedly, Australia is not pegged to advance (13.00 to advance) from Group B, which also includes powerhouse teams Spain and Netherlands. Chile is considered the dark horse to qualify with 1.83 betting line to get a spot in the knockout rounds.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Rhonda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans