Oprah Winfrey Movies Update: As Annie Cooper, A Civil Rights Heroine In 'Selma'
By Tanya Diente | June 13, 2014 5:30 PM EST
Oscar-nominated Oprah Winfrey has joined the cast of "Selma," where she will be playing as civil rights heroine, Annie Cooper.
Oprah Winfrey (R) laughs with poet Maya Angelou during the taping of "Oprah's Surprise Spectacular" in Chicago in this May 17, 2011 file photo. U.S. author and poet Maya Angelou has died at age 86 in North Carolina, local media reported on May 28, 2014, citing her agent and a local official.
It's only been less than a year and Winfrey is now returning to the big screen. After appearing in Lee Daniel's presidential period film, "The Butler," the host-actress is now back in another period drama in "Selma."
'Selma" follows the 1965 voting rights campaign of Martin King Luther Jr., which is regarded as the peak of civil rights movement. Winfrey portrays the role of Annie Cooper, a civil rights heroine, who is best known for punching Dallas Country Sheriff Clark, when he tried to prevent her from registering to vote in 1965.
According to Vanity Fair, the punching incident resulted in Annie Cooper's assault by police and further national exposure of the violence surrounding voter-registration attempts in 1965. Annie Cooper passed away four years ago at age 100.
In an interview with Entertainment Tonight (video, Winfrey said she talked to her friend, the late Dr. Maya Angelou, about her role as Annie Cooper in "Selma."
She reportedly spoke with Angelou for an hour before she left to film "Selma" in Georgia before she passed away. Winfrey shared Angelou had given her the stamp of approval for her Annie Cooper's role. She was so proud that I was doing this movie, saying, 'Take it baby. Take it all the way. Take it all the way,'" Oprah recalled.
Winfrey said Maya was part of the civil rights movement. She also worked with Martin Luther King Jr. so she understood what Winfrey and the production team of "Selma" were trying to do with the movie.
"Selma" was supposed to be directed by "The Butler" Director Lee Daniels. But Ava DuVernay, director of "Middle of Nowhere," currently helms the film.
Along with Winfrey is David Oyelowo, who will portray the late Martin Luther King Jr., Carmen Ejogo as Coretta Scott King, Tom Wilkinson as President Lyndon B. Johnson and Tim Roth as George Wallace.
Aside from starring as Annie Cooper, Winfrey will also be co-producing "Selma," along with Brad Pitt's Plan B Production Company.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop