FIFA World Cup 2014 Predictions: Match #12 Iran vs. Nigeria
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 13, 2014 4:41 PM EST
Iran 0 Nigeria 0
Nigeria's Victor Moses (R) looks to pass, next to Greece's Andreas Samaris, during their international friendly soccer match in Chester, Pennsylvania June 3, 2014.
The twelfth match of the FIFA World Cup 2014 is going to be held between Iran and Nigeria. The Group F match should be interesting because this will be Nigeria's chance to seal a victory against a relatively weaker opposition and secure 3 points, which will give it a strong hope of going to the next round.
Iran: Iran's performance in pre-World cCup friendlies was far from encouraging. After failing to failing to score against Belarus (0-0) and Montenegro (0-0), it finally scored against Angola (1-1). However, its only win came in the last match before the World Cup against Trinidad and Tobago (2-0). Iran did not qualify in 2010, but former Manchester United coach Carlos Queiroz (also coached South Africa and Portugal before) guided it to finish on top of the Asian Qualifying Group A. It defeated South Korea (1-0) there. It will depend a lot on Fulham winger Ashkan Dejagah who has had impressive season.
Nigeria: Nigeria has been a giant killer. It defeated Spain 3-2 in the 1998 World Cup. It seems to have an uncanny connection with Argentina as it has been in the same group with the South American giant four times out of five World Cups it played (in 1994, 2002, 2010 and now in 2014). Nigeria is the current Africa Cup of Nations champion. It will miss its defender Elderson Echiejile who has recently suffered an injury. Nigeria will depend a lot on players like Victor Moses and Emmanuel Emenike. It will be one of the most fabulous teams to watch, but it has not reached the World Cup knockout stages since 1998. This year, 2014, will be its fight against history.
Head to Head
These two teams played only once against each other. Nigeria scored 1 goal and won it.
Nigeria: Victor Moses, Emmanuel Emenike and Victor Obinna
Iran: Reza Ghoochannejhad, Karim Ansari and Ashkan Dejagah
Date, Time & Venue
Brazil's time zone is UTC/GMT -3. The match starts at 4 pm (local time) on June 16, which means it is 5 am on June 17 in New South Wales, Australia. The match will be held at Arena da Baixada in Curitiba.
Iran will look helpless against the mighty opposition. Nigeria will win the match 3-0.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group A Preview, Prediction, Roster, Schedule: Spain and Brazil To Clinch Top 2 Spots, France, Serbia, And Iran To Battle For Remaining Slots
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Team Preview: Puerto Rico Roster, Key Players And Schedule
- Kevin Love Tells Minnesota Timberwolves Owner Glen Taylor To Mind His Own Team
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge