FIFA World Cup 2014 Predictions: Match #15 Belgium vs. Algeria
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 13, 2014 3:17 PM EST
Belgium 2 Algeria 1
Belgium's national soccer team players Eden Hazard (R) and Axel Witsel fight for the ball during a training session at the squad's camp ahead of the World Cup, in Knokke-Heist June 6, 2014.
The fifteenth match of the FIFA World Cup 2014 is going to be held between Belgium vs. Algeria. Several teams wanted to be in Group H because that would have given them a chance to start late in the tournament. This is probably the most balanced group in the tournament.
Belgium: Belgium happens to be the one that participated in most number (11) of World Cups. Belgium has several top players who can make a difference even against the strongest teams in the world. Strong midfield, high quality centre-backs and fierce attack - this team has all the possibilities to reach the semi-finals at least. It won its pre-World Cup matches against Luxembourg (5-1), Sweden (2-0) and Tunisia (1-0). Coach Marc Wilmots said that Romelu Lukaku would be available for this match even though he suffered an ankle injury against Tunisia. That will make the team even stronger. Premiere League star Eden Hazard will make things "hazardous" for Algeria.
Algeria: Algeria is probably the one which is most habituated with similar climatic conditions in Brazil. This is the 4th World Cup for Algeria. It failed to score any goal in the 2010 World Cup but was able to have a draw against England. Algeria has moved to the top as the highest ranked African team, beating Ivory Coast only a week before the tournament. It has lost only once in its previous 13 matches. It even defeated Romania in a warm-up match on Wednesday, June 4. There may not be much hope for Algeria on paper against Belgium, but 25-year-old Islam Slimani and the team can definitely cause troubles.
Head to Head
These two teams played twice against each other. Belgium won 1, and the other ended in a draw. Algeria scored 1 of the total 4 goals scored.
Belgium: Romelu Lukaku, Eden Hazard & Marouane Fellaini
Algeria: Islam Slimani, Saphir & Sofiane Feghouli
Date, Time & Venue
Brazil's time zone is UTC/GMT -3. The match starts at 1 pm (local time) on June 17, which means it is 2 am on June 18 in New South Wales, Australia. The match will be held at Estadio Mineirao in Belo Horizonte.
Belgium will not give much opportunity to Algeria to shine as it is going to be desperate to make an impressive in its opening game in the tournament. Belgium will win the match with the final score line 3-0.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft