FIFA World Cup 2014 Predictions: Match #15 Belgium vs. Algeria
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 13, 2014 3:17 PM EST
Belgium 2 Algeria 1
Belgium's national soccer team players Eden Hazard (R) and Axel Witsel fight for the ball during a training session at the squad's camp ahead of the World Cup, in Knokke-Heist June 6, 2014.
The fifteenth match of the FIFA World Cup 2014 is going to be held between Belgium vs. Algeria. Several teams wanted to be in Group H because that would have given them a chance to start late in the tournament. This is probably the most balanced group in the tournament.
Belgium: Belgium happens to be the one that participated in most number (11) of World Cups. Belgium has several top players who can make a difference even against the strongest teams in the world. Strong midfield, high quality centre-backs and fierce attack - this team has all the possibilities to reach the semi-finals at least. It won its pre-World Cup matches against Luxembourg (5-1), Sweden (2-0) and Tunisia (1-0). Coach Marc Wilmots said that Romelu Lukaku would be available for this match even though he suffered an ankle injury against Tunisia. That will make the team even stronger. Premiere League star Eden Hazard will make things "hazardous" for Algeria.
Algeria: Algeria is probably the one which is most habituated with similar climatic conditions in Brazil. This is the 4th World Cup for Algeria. It failed to score any goal in the 2010 World Cup but was able to have a draw against England. Algeria has moved to the top as the highest ranked African team, beating Ivory Coast only a week before the tournament. It has lost only once in its previous 13 matches. It even defeated Romania in a warm-up match on Wednesday, June 4. There may not be much hope for Algeria on paper against Belgium, but 25-year-old Islam Slimani and the team can definitely cause troubles.
Head to Head
These two teams played twice against each other. Belgium won 1, and the other ended in a draw. Algeria scored 1 of the total 4 goals scored.
Belgium: Romelu Lukaku, Eden Hazard & Marouane Fellaini
Algeria: Islam Slimani, Saphir & Sofiane Feghouli
Date, Time & Venue
Brazil's time zone is UTC/GMT -3. The match starts at 1 pm (local time) on June 17, which means it is 2 am on June 18 in New South Wales, Australia. The match will be held at Estadio Mineirao in Belo Horizonte.
Belgium will not give much opportunity to Algeria to shine as it is going to be desperate to make an impressive in its opening game in the tournament. Belgium will win the match with the final score line 3-0.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- Dallas Mavericks Owner Mark Cuban Wants The Los Angeles Lakers To ‘Suck Forever’
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Exit For Messi Is Possible - Tata Martino
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports
- Xiaomi to Kill Redmi 1S for More Redmi Notes
- New Zealand Dairy Industry Feels Bullish At Chinese President's Visit