World Cup 2014: Spain v Netherlands Preview, Updates, Live Stream Information
By Mark Wayne Eubank | June 13, 2014 2:26 PM EST
It will be a battle of Group B's titans as Spain will be taking on Netherlands for their opening match of the World Cup.
La Furia Roja will bank on their possession and passing game with Xavi Hernandez, Sergio Busquets, and Andres Iniesta, all of whom are FC
"We know that we're going to win or to die with this style of play." - Xavi on Spain's possession-based philosophy
Barcelona players who are used to playing with the tiki-taka style at the Nou Camp, expected to man the middle of the park.
"We've had this philosophy now for a number of years and I think it would be a mistake to change it," said Xavi.
"We know that we're going to win or to die with this style of play."
Meanwhile, the inclusion of Diego Costa in the squad might mean that Vicente del Bosque will be fielding in a group with an out-and-out striker, rather than settling for a false 9, as he did in the past.
Projected Starters (4-3-3): Casillas; Alba, Juanfran, Pique, Ramos; Alonso, Xavi, Busquets; Silva, Iniesta, Costa
The Oranje will look to crowd the midfield in order to try to disrupt the opposition's possession-based offence, (yes, only to disrupt) as it would be very difficult to neutralise a technically sound Spanish midfield.
Distractions is one of their concerns following the recent appointment of Loius van Gaal as Manchester United manager, but the Dutch boss begs to disagree.
"The World Cup is a championship and clubs don't take part in this, so I am fully focused on the national team," said the 62-year-old.
"Distraction? It may be a distraction but, for instance, the players - when was it? - on Monday afternoon and Tuesday morning, I gave them some time off, just to get out there."
"You can't just focus monotonously on the World Cup, so perhaps Manchester United was a good distraction. You can't be fully focused on football for five weeks."
In the meantime, star hitman Robin van Persie will be ready for the much anticipated clash in spite of doubts on his fitness.
"The last few days I have trained fully and I therefore have no more problems," said the Red Devil striker.
"I'm ready for it. Besides, I've been playing six years with aches. There is always something. I've had to learn to do that."
Projected Starters (3-4-1-2): Cillessen; Indi, Vrij, Vlaar; Blind, Janmaat, Jong, Guzman; Sneijder; Robben, v. Persie
Schedule and Live Stream Information (Click on the links below):
Kick-off: 5:00 am, June 14, 2014 (AEST/Sydney Time)
U.S. - [here]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics, Swimming Schedule & Results
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal