2014 World Cup: Brazil vs. Croatia in Photos
By James Patrick Quizon | June 13, 2014 1:54 PM EST
Brazil’s campaign in the 2014 World Cup was off to roaring—and controversial—start with a 3-1 win over Croatia.
Croatia put on the pressure on the hosts—especially goalkeeper Marcelo—with an 11th minute own goal by Brazil.
"I stayed calm because if I let myself get down I would have hurt the team," Marcelo said via ESPN. "It's not the first time that this has happened, so you have to stay relaxed to help the team."
It was actually the entire Brazil squad that was calm and relaxed. On the 29th minute, Neymar provided the equalizer and he added a goal off a penalty in the 71st.
That penalty was the first controversial call of this World Cup.
"If that was a penalty, we should be playing basketball. Those kinds of fouls are penalized there," an emotional Niko Kovac, coach for the Croatian squad said. "That is shameful, this is not a World Cup referee. He had one kind of criteria for them and another for us. The rules were not the same."
Oscar’s late goal made the final score 3-to-1 for Brazil.
“The players were fantastic. They kept calm and turned around the Opening Match of the World Cup, which is not easy. The fans deserve an even bigger hand, though. The support here in Sao Paulo was amazing. It was out of this world and people can’t imagine what it was like,” said Brazil coach Luiz Felipe Scolari about the crowd via the tournament’s official website.
View the slideshow for more images from the Brazil-Croatia match.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown