2014 World Cup: Brazil vs. Croatia in Photos
By James Patrick Quizon | June 13, 2014 1:54 PM EST
Brazil’s campaign in the 2014 World Cup was off to roaring—and controversial—start with a 3-1 win over Croatia.
Croatia put on the pressure on the hosts—especially goalkeeper Marcelo—with an 11th minute own goal by Brazil.
"I stayed calm because if I let myself get down I would have hurt the team," Marcelo said via ESPN. "It's not the first time that this has happened, so you have to stay relaxed to help the team."
It was actually the entire Brazil squad that was calm and relaxed. On the 29th minute, Neymar provided the equalizer and he added a goal off a penalty in the 71st.
That penalty was the first controversial call of this World Cup.
"If that was a penalty, we should be playing basketball. Those kinds of fouls are penalized there," an emotional Niko Kovac, coach for the Croatian squad said. "That is shameful, this is not a World Cup referee. He had one kind of criteria for them and another for us. The rules were not the same."
Oscar’s late goal made the final score 3-to-1 for Brazil.
“The players were fantastic. They kept calm and turned around the Opening Match of the World Cup, which is not easy. The fans deserve an even bigger hand, though. The support here in Sao Paulo was amazing. It was out of this world and people can’t imagine what it was like,” said Brazil coach Luiz Felipe Scolari about the crowd via the tournament’s official website.
View the slideshow for more images from the Brazil-Croatia match.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- Manny Pacquiao Calls Out On Floyd Mayweather Jr. Again After Unbeaten Boxer Mocks Him With His KO Video
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- 2014 NFL Thanksgiving Games Results: Detroit Lions, Philadelphia Eagles, Seattle Seahawks Notch All-Important Wins With Major Postseason Implications
- Phil Hughes No More: Australian Batsman Dies at 25
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments