2014 World Cup: Brazil vs. Croatia in Photos
By James Patrick Quizon | June 13, 2014 1:54 PM EST
Brazil’s campaign in the 2014 World Cup was off to roaring—and controversial—start with a 3-1 win over Croatia.
Croatia put on the pressure on the hosts—especially goalkeeper Marcelo—with an 11th minute own goal by Brazil.
"I stayed calm because if I let myself get down I would have hurt the team," Marcelo said via ESPN. "It's not the first time that this has happened, so you have to stay relaxed to help the team."
It was actually the entire Brazil squad that was calm and relaxed. On the 29th minute, Neymar provided the equalizer and he added a goal off a penalty in the 71st.
That penalty was the first controversial call of this World Cup.
"If that was a penalty, we should be playing basketball. Those kinds of fouls are penalized there," an emotional Niko Kovac, coach for the Croatian squad said. "That is shameful, this is not a World Cup referee. He had one kind of criteria for them and another for us. The rules were not the same."
Oscar’s late goal made the final score 3-to-1 for Brazil.
“The players were fantastic. They kept calm and turned around the Opening Match of the World Cup, which is not easy. The fans deserve an even bigger hand, though. The support here in Sao Paulo was amazing. It was out of this world and people can’t imagine what it was like,” said Brazil coach Luiz Felipe Scolari about the crowd via the tournament’s official website.
View the slideshow for more images from the Brazil-Croatia match.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues