2014 World Cup: Brazil vs. Croatia in Photos
By James Patrick Quizon | June 13, 2014 1:54 PM EST
Brazil’s campaign in the 2014 World Cup was off to roaring—and controversial—start with a 3-1 win over Croatia.
Croatia put on the pressure on the hosts—especially goalkeeper Marcelo—with an 11th minute own goal by Brazil.
"I stayed calm because if I let myself get down I would have hurt the team," Marcelo said via ESPN. "It's not the first time that this has happened, so you have to stay relaxed to help the team."
It was actually the entire Brazil squad that was calm and relaxed. On the 29th minute, Neymar provided the equalizer and he added a goal off a penalty in the 71st.
That penalty was the first controversial call of this World Cup.
"If that was a penalty, we should be playing basketball. Those kinds of fouls are penalized there," an emotional Niko Kovac, coach for the Croatian squad said. "That is shameful, this is not a World Cup referee. He had one kind of criteria for them and another for us. The rules were not the same."
Oscar’s late goal made the final score 3-to-1 for Brazil.
“The players were fantastic. They kept calm and turned around the Opening Match of the World Cup, which is not easy. The fans deserve an even bigger hand, though. The support here in Sao Paulo was amazing. It was out of this world and people can’t imagine what it was like,” said Brazil coach Luiz Felipe Scolari about the crowd via the tournament’s official website.
View the slideshow for more images from the Brazil-Croatia match.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- NBA Preview: Milwaukee Bucks Look to Develop Youngsters Jabari Parker, Giannis Antetokounmpo
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine