2014 World Cup: Brazil vs. Croatia in Photos
By James Patrick Quizon | June 13, 2014 1:54 PM EST
Brazil’s campaign in the 2014 World Cup was off to roaring—and controversial—start with a 3-1 win over Croatia.
Croatia put on the pressure on the hosts—especially goalkeeper Marcelo—with an 11th minute own goal by Brazil.
"I stayed calm because if I let myself get down I would have hurt the team," Marcelo said via ESPN. "It's not the first time that this has happened, so you have to stay relaxed to help the team."
It was actually the entire Brazil squad that was calm and relaxed. On the 29th minute, Neymar provided the equalizer and he added a goal off a penalty in the 71st.
That penalty was the first controversial call of this World Cup.
"If that was a penalty, we should be playing basketball. Those kinds of fouls are penalized there," an emotional Niko Kovac, coach for the Croatian squad said. "That is shameful, this is not a World Cup referee. He had one kind of criteria for them and another for us. The rules were not the same."
Oscar’s late goal made the final score 3-to-1 for Brazil.
“The players were fantastic. They kept calm and turned around the Opening Match of the World Cup, which is not easy. The fans deserve an even bigger hand, though. The support here in Sao Paulo was amazing. It was out of this world and people can’t imagine what it was like,” said Brazil coach Luiz Felipe Scolari about the crowd via the tournament’s official website.
View the slideshow for more images from the Brazil-Croatia match.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu