Shailene Woodley Had Help From 'An Angel' During Hollywood Success
By Tanya Diente | June 13, 2014 1:46 PM EST
Shailene Woodley revealed that she thought of quitting acting after "Descendants" made her a Hollywood success. But co-star George Clooney, being "an angel" in her life, helped her reconsider quitting.
Actress Shailene Woodley arrives for a 20th Century Fox presentation of "The Fault in Our Stars" in Las Vegas, Nevada in this March 27, 2014. In a summer of blockbusters with superheroes, a rampaging monster and a wicked fairy, "The Fault in Our Stars," the film adaptation of John Green's best-seller, is a heart-wrenching story of young love that could become a box-office hit.
Shailene Woodley went from child actress (having appeared in "A Place Called Home" when she was 13) to a movie star in "Divergent" and "The Fault In Our Stars." However, in an interview with Vanity Fair, Shailene Woodley admitted to senior West Coast editor Krista Smith, that she had considered quitting acting after her supporting role in the "The Descendants" made her an instant success in Hollywood.
"Somebody came to me and said, 'I can't wait to see what you do next.' I took that as pressure-that I had to live up to somebody else's expectations," Shailene recalled.
Shailene Woodley recalled that there were a few times she thought she didn't want to act anymore. However, she eventually got over it and realized that it's not her business what other people think of her.
Scroll Down For The Vanity Fair Interview with Shailene Woodley
Shailene Woodley added that her "Descendants" co-star George Clooney had also helped reaffirm her beliefs amid the troubles of Hollywood. According to hngn, Clooney had helped Shailene overcome her fears with his kindness.
"He has been an angel in my life for many reasons," Woodley shared. "He knew everyone's name on set. He treated everyone as an equal and everyone got his warmth," she added.
In a separate Vanity Fair interview, George Clooney revealed that the admiration is mutual. Clooney told Smith that Shailene Woodley can do whatever she wants. He said if Woodley wants to be a movie star then she has it. If she wants to change the world, then, she will. George Clooney said that Shailene Woodley's kindness and talent go hand in hand. Clooney added that even 40 years from now people will still be talking about Shailene Woodley.
"I've never seen anyone so young that has so much together." Clooney said in praise of Woodley.
Shailene Woodley has been known as an actress with principles. However, she told Smith that not everyone wants to hear about her principles.
"As much as this industry is a platform for talking about big issues, there are also so many fuckin' issues. You could talk about Russia, or Argentina, or fracking, or G.M.O.'s. Maybe the only thing that I'm supposed to do is just show up and be me in every moment," she said.
Shailene Woodley said she feels that one of her gifts is to be open and lovely; doing simple things like smiling at strangers and having kind, small interactions, which she thinks will ultimately shift things.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
Join the Conversation
- Kylie Jenner Shamed for Range Rover Boasts
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Maksim Chmerkovskiy Exits DWTS For Jennifer Lopez --- Reports
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Vacation Plans: Visit Prince Charles & Camilla Parker-Bowles
- Queen Elizabeth and Kate Middleton Clash Again: Duchess Scared of Difficult Pregnancy, Adopting Second 'Royal' Baby - Reports
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports