Shailene Woodley Had Help From 'An Angel' During Hollywood Success
By Tanya Diente | June 13, 2014 1:46 PM EST
Shailene Woodley revealed that she thought of quitting acting after "Descendants" made her a Hollywood success. But co-star George Clooney, being "an angel" in her life, helped her reconsider quitting.
Actress Shailene Woodley arrives for a 20th Century Fox presentation of "The Fault in Our Stars" in Las Vegas, Nevada in this March 27, 2014. In a summer of blockbusters with superheroes, a rampaging monster and a wicked fairy, "The Fault in Our Stars," the film adaptation of John Green's best-seller, is a heart-wrenching story of young love that could become a box-office hit.
Shailene Woodley went from child actress (having appeared in "A Place Called Home" when she was 13) to a movie star in "Divergent" and "The Fault In Our Stars." However, in an interview with Vanity Fair, Shailene Woodley admitted to senior West Coast editor Krista Smith, that she had considered quitting acting after her supporting role in the "The Descendants" made her an instant success in Hollywood.
"Somebody came to me and said, 'I can't wait to see what you do next.' I took that as pressure-that I had to live up to somebody else's expectations," Shailene recalled.
Shailene Woodley recalled that there were a few times she thought she didn't want to act anymore. However, she eventually got over it and realized that it's not her business what other people think of her.
Scroll Down For The Vanity Fair Interview with Shailene Woodley
Shailene Woodley added that her "Descendants" co-star George Clooney had also helped reaffirm her beliefs amid the troubles of Hollywood. According to hngn, Clooney had helped Shailene overcome her fears with his kindness.
"He has been an angel in my life for many reasons," Woodley shared. "He knew everyone's name on set. He treated everyone as an equal and everyone got his warmth," she added.
In a separate Vanity Fair interview, George Clooney revealed that the admiration is mutual. Clooney told Smith that Shailene Woodley can do whatever she wants. He said if Woodley wants to be a movie star then she has it. If she wants to change the world, then, she will. George Clooney said that Shailene Woodley's kindness and talent go hand in hand. Clooney added that even 40 years from now people will still be talking about Shailene Woodley.
"I've never seen anyone so young that has so much together." Clooney said in praise of Woodley.
Shailene Woodley has been known as an actress with principles. However, she told Smith that not everyone wants to hear about her principles.
"As much as this industry is a platform for talking about big issues, there are also so many fuckin' issues. You could talk about Russia, or Argentina, or fracking, or G.M.O.'s. Maybe the only thing that I'm supposed to do is just show up and be me in every moment," she said.
Shailene Woodley said she feels that one of her gifts is to be open and lovely; doing simple things like smiling at strangers and having kind, small interactions, which she thinks will ultimately shift things.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Filming Spoilers: Beardless Rick Grimes Seems To Be On The Set
- ‘Orange is the New Black Story’ Season 3 Update: New Corrections Officer To Be Introduced, Likely To Take Pornstache's Position At Litchfield Penitentiary
- “American Horror Story” Season 4 Spoilers: Emma Roberts' Maggie And Evan Peters’ Jimmy Darling To Be In A Romantic Relationship
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Season 2 Preview: Someone Drops The L Bomb, Marriage Proposal In Season Finale
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 1, 2014: Hope Reveals Something To Wyatt And Katie Almost Loses A Loved One [WATCH VIDEO]
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build