Shailene Woodley Had Help From 'An Angel' During Hollywood Success
By Tanya Diente | June 13, 2014 1:46 PM EST
Shailene Woodley revealed that she thought of quitting acting after "Descendants" made her a Hollywood success. But co-star George Clooney, being "an angel" in her life, helped her reconsider quitting.
Actress Shailene Woodley arrives for a 20th Century Fox presentation of "The Fault in Our Stars" in Las Vegas, Nevada in this March 27, 2014. In a summer of blockbusters with superheroes, a rampaging monster and a wicked fairy, "The Fault in Our Stars," the film adaptation of John Green's best-seller, is a heart-wrenching story of young love that could become a box-office hit.
Shailene Woodley went from child actress (having appeared in "A Place Called Home" when she was 13) to a movie star in "Divergent" and "The Fault In Our Stars." However, in an interview with Vanity Fair, Shailene Woodley admitted to senior West Coast editor Krista Smith, that she had considered quitting acting after her supporting role in the "The Descendants" made her an instant success in Hollywood.
"Somebody came to me and said, 'I can't wait to see what you do next.' I took that as pressure-that I had to live up to somebody else's expectations," Shailene recalled.
Shailene Woodley recalled that there were a few times she thought she didn't want to act anymore. However, she eventually got over it and realized that it's not her business what other people think of her.
Scroll Down For The Vanity Fair Interview with Shailene Woodley
Shailene Woodley added that her "Descendants" co-star George Clooney had also helped reaffirm her beliefs amid the troubles of Hollywood. According to hngn, Clooney had helped Shailene overcome her fears with his kindness.
"He has been an angel in my life for many reasons," Woodley shared. "He knew everyone's name on set. He treated everyone as an equal and everyone got his warmth," she added.
In a separate Vanity Fair interview, George Clooney revealed that the admiration is mutual. Clooney told Smith that Shailene Woodley can do whatever she wants. He said if Woodley wants to be a movie star then she has it. If she wants to change the world, then, she will. George Clooney said that Shailene Woodley's kindness and talent go hand in hand. Clooney added that even 40 years from now people will still be talking about Shailene Woodley.
"I've never seen anyone so young that has so much together." Clooney said in praise of Woodley.
Shailene Woodley has been known as an actress with principles. However, she told Smith that not everyone wants to hear about her principles.
"As much as this industry is a platform for talking about big issues, there are also so many fuckin' issues. You could talk about Russia, or Argentina, or fracking, or G.M.O.'s. Maybe the only thing that I'm supposed to do is just show up and be me in every moment," she said.
Shailene Woodley said she feels that one of her gifts is to be open and lovely; doing simple things like smiling at strangers and having kind, small interactions, which she thinks will ultimately shift things.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Shocking Inside Stories Of Prince Charles and Princess Diana Revealed By Former Press Officer
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Spoilers: Queen Elsa Of 'Frozen' May Not Be The Big Villain (Premiere Date In A Week's Time)
- Another Celebrity Nude Photo Leak: Naked Pics Of Liam Payne And Kim Kardashian Uploaded Online
- Rihanna Nude Photos Leaked – The Fappening 2: Second Wave Of Celebrities Nude Pictures Leak on 4chan And Reddit
- Madonna Posts Video Of Son Hailed As Possibly The Next Dancing Prodigy
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- G20 Summit in Nov: No Consensus to Bar Russia, Putin Open to Attend in Australia