‘Mortal Kombat X’: More Gameplay Demos, Characters and Fight Scenes
By Gel Galang | June 13, 2014 1:44 PM EST
It seems that "Mortal Kombat X" is doing more than just following the footsteps of the previous best-selling game--it serves as proof that the studio has challenged themselves to upping the level of the game even more.
"We didn't want to do like just re-skin the same game with next-generation graphics, so we're taking a really impressive approach to adding new elements to the game-gameplay elements and new characters, just a ton of new characters," said Boon during the demo interview as seen below.
Given that the storyline-as little as is known about it-will take place years after "Mortal Kombat 9," aged characters are to be expected (just imagine Johnny Cage and Sonya Blade already having a daughter in the form of Cassie Cage).
For fans of "Mortal Kombat 9," NetherRealms will still be making use of the meters in "Mortal Kombat X," which add another layer to the fighting experience, given everything that has been revealed so far.
"We refined it (the energy meter). That's one of the things that I think had worked out really well with MK9 or 2011 Mortal Kombat," said Boon. "You can do so many things with it. You can enhance your special moves, you can do those breakers, break out of a combo. And you can do that kind of crazy X-ray moves, which is kind of synonymous with Mortal Kombat."
Boon also promised that, while long-time Mortal Kombat fans will find familiar faces and experiences in "Mortal Kombat X," they have also incorporated as many new elements to differentiate the franchise.
"There's gonna be some familiarity but also a newness involved there. We also just want to add new elements, you know gameplay-wise, the character variations, the environment, but also character-wise," said Boon. "We just want people to say, "Who's the big hulk with the lady on his shoulders?" We want to introduce as much elements, not to just rest back on the old game."
When it comes to the story line and who the big bad character is, it seems that Boon and the rest of the NetherRealms team will still have a lot of teasers ahead as they will be revealing who it will be in the coming months leading to the release of the game.
But Boon did give a hint on who it could be: "It's gonna be a fun surprise returning character. Not a lot of people will see it coming but there's a lot of surprises in store."
Gameplay experience: Fatality and Brutality in MK
The Fatality part in every "Mortal Kombat X" fight is possibly one of the more interesting but also more brutal of each entire fight. From Sub-Zero breaking the spine and torso of Torr to D'Vorah's face-eating bugs defeating her enemy, there's really a lot of gore going around. And in next-gen quality graphics, as the trademark gore in the "Mortal Kombat" franchise has risen another notch with "Mortal Kombat X."
In this interview by IGN, you can see Cassie Cage fighting against D'Vorah. Cassie's Fatality is brutal, though very coy at that, with the use of gun and a bubblegum. However, according to PC Mag's own hands-on with "Mortal Kombat X," Cassie also has her own take of her dad's "floor-split/groin-punch" move.
Boon has also explained the dynamism of the environment that the pair is fighting in. Aside from providing leverage for characters, there are also some elements in the environment that can be used in combat. Particularly in The Cove, the swept bodies in the background can actually be thrown at a player.
Comparing the environment to NetherRealm's other fighting game, the report states that its use is more for leverage than being used as makeshift weapons.
As an end note on Fatality, Gamerant reports that, compared to its predecessor, "Mortal Kombat X" may be looking at more than just two Fatality moves, bringing it to a total of five all over.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Before Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire: TwitchPlaysPokemon Goes X and Y, More Events and More Gym Leader Info
- PS4 News: 2 Possible Sets of PS Plus Games for August 2014 Leaked and Additional Features for PS4
- Xbox One News: Games with Gold for August Announced; Updates for Progress in China
- Samsung Galaxy K Zoom vs. Nokia Lumia 1020 Specs and Price Comparison in Australia
- The SIMS 4 on Sept 2 Release: Low Demands Specs, No Toddlers or Pools and 3 Premium Packs
- Transfer News: In Demand Everton Midfielder Silence Speculations by Penning New Deal [VIDEO]
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Reebok Launches Bacon Line to Lure CrossFit and Paleo Diet Fans
- Transfer News: Star Midfielder Pledges Future with Manchester City [VIDEO]
- ACT Party's Demand to Re Consider Maoris Privileges Evokes Reprimand