‘Mortal Kombat X’: More Gameplay Demos, Characters and Fight Scenes
By Gel Galang | June 13, 2014 1:44 PM EST
It seems that "Mortal Kombat X" is doing more than just following the footsteps of the previous best-selling game--it serves as proof that the studio has challenged themselves to upping the level of the game even more.
"We didn't want to do like just re-skin the same game with next-generation graphics, so we're taking a really impressive approach to adding new elements to the game-gameplay elements and new characters, just a ton of new characters," said Boon during the demo interview as seen below.
Given that the storyline-as little as is known about it-will take place years after "Mortal Kombat 9," aged characters are to be expected (just imagine Johnny Cage and Sonya Blade already having a daughter in the form of Cassie Cage).
For fans of "Mortal Kombat 9," NetherRealms will still be making use of the meters in "Mortal Kombat X," which add another layer to the fighting experience, given everything that has been revealed so far.
"We refined it (the energy meter). That's one of the things that I think had worked out really well with MK9 or 2011 Mortal Kombat," said Boon. "You can do so many things with it. You can enhance your special moves, you can do those breakers, break out of a combo. And you can do that kind of crazy X-ray moves, which is kind of synonymous with Mortal Kombat."
Boon also promised that, while long-time Mortal Kombat fans will find familiar faces and experiences in "Mortal Kombat X," they have also incorporated as many new elements to differentiate the franchise.
"There's gonna be some familiarity but also a newness involved there. We also just want to add new elements, you know gameplay-wise, the character variations, the environment, but also character-wise," said Boon. "We just want people to say, "Who's the big hulk with the lady on his shoulders?" We want to introduce as much elements, not to just rest back on the old game."
When it comes to the story line and who the big bad character is, it seems that Boon and the rest of the NetherRealms team will still have a lot of teasers ahead as they will be revealing who it will be in the coming months leading to the release of the game.
But Boon did give a hint on who it could be: "It's gonna be a fun surprise returning character. Not a lot of people will see it coming but there's a lot of surprises in store."
Gameplay experience: Fatality and Brutality in MK
The Fatality part in every "Mortal Kombat X" fight is possibly one of the more interesting but also more brutal of each entire fight. From Sub-Zero breaking the spine and torso of Torr to D'Vorah's face-eating bugs defeating her enemy, there's really a lot of gore going around. And in next-gen quality graphics, as the trademark gore in the "Mortal Kombat" franchise has risen another notch with "Mortal Kombat X."
In this interview by IGN, you can see Cassie Cage fighting against D'Vorah. Cassie's Fatality is brutal, though very coy at that, with the use of gun and a bubblegum. However, according to PC Mag's own hands-on with "Mortal Kombat X," Cassie also has her own take of her dad's "floor-split/groin-punch" move.
Boon has also explained the dynamism of the environment that the pair is fighting in. Aside from providing leverage for characters, there are also some elements in the environment that can be used in combat. Particularly in The Cove, the swept bodies in the background can actually be thrown at a player.
Comparing the environment to NetherRealm's other fighting game, the report states that its use is more for leverage than being used as makeshift weapons.
As an end note on Fatality, Gamerant reports that, compared to its predecessor, "Mortal Kombat X" may be looking at more than just two Fatality moves, bringing it to a total of five all over.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Android L 5.0 Eligible And Ineligible Devices: Nexus Gadgets, Google Play Edition And Android One
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Confirmed With Demo, More Info Revealed
- Know More About ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Team Aqua And Magma, Pokemon Bank and Global Link
- 'Dragon Age Inquisition': Three Classes Confirmed—Warrior, Mage And Rogue Abilities Exposed
- ‘World Of Warcraft’ Extends The ‘Gaze Of The Black Prince’ Buff Until The ‘Warlords Of Draenor' Pre-Patch 6.0.2 Release After Updating The 6.0.2 Public Test Realm Patch Notes [WATCH VIDEO]
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers