To Host or Not to Host: USA for World Cup 2022
By James Patrick Quizon | June 13, 2014 1:09 PM EST
As the kick-off in Brazil 2014 commenced, conflicting reports of the status of World Cup in 2022 have surfaced.
ESPN’s Jorge Ramos reported via Twitter that FIFA has contacted United States soccer for the latter to prepare their organizing committee should the 2022 event be relocated.
FIFA President Sepp Blatter (L) speaks with an unidentified man during the 2014 World Cup opening match between Brazil and Croatia at the Corinthians arena in Sao Paulo June 12, 2014.
“BREAKING NEWS: #FIFA advised #USA to have their organization committee ready for 2022, in case there is no #WorldCup in #Qatar. Final decision will take place in September/October,” stated Ramos, a Latin American correspondent for the sports media giant in a translated version of his tweet.
Ramos is part of a group of reputable Latin reporters who also broke in 2010 that the Centennial Americas Cup (Copa América Centenario) or also known as the Pan-American Cup (Copa Panamericana) has been awarded to the U.S.
Literally just spoke to Gulati, who was completely surprised by report. "Simply not true," he told @nytimes.
— Sam Borden (@SamBorden) June 12, 2014
Qatar was awarded the rights for the World Cup 2022 way back in 2010 but it couldn’t escape the controversies. One of which is that FIFA officials were bribed to vote in favor of Qatar.
Although top officials have denied the recent reports, the rumours of relocation won’t stop with still eight years away from the World Cup in Qatar.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Fernando Alonso Leaves Ferrari 'For Two Reasons'
- Roger Federer Says He Has Never Seen Rafael Nadal Play So Bad, Wishes That The Spaniard Recuperate Well From Appendicitis
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nick Kyrgios Holds Twitter Q&A, Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time And His Favourite Superhero
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight