To Host or Not to Host: USA for World Cup 2022
By James Patrick Quizon | June 13, 2014 1:09 PM EST
As the kick-off in Brazil 2014 commenced, conflicting reports of the status of World Cup in 2022 have surfaced.
ESPN’s Jorge Ramos reported via Twitter that FIFA has contacted United States soccer for the latter to prepare their organizing committee should the 2022 event be relocated.
FIFA President Sepp Blatter (L) speaks with an unidentified man during the 2014 World Cup opening match between Brazil and Croatia at the Corinthians arena in Sao Paulo June 12, 2014.
“BREAKING NEWS: #FIFA advised #USA to have their organization committee ready for 2022, in case there is no #WorldCup in #Qatar. Final decision will take place in September/October,” stated Ramos, a Latin American correspondent for the sports media giant in a translated version of his tweet.
Ramos is part of a group of reputable Latin reporters who also broke in 2010 that the Centennial Americas Cup (Copa América Centenario) or also known as the Pan-American Cup (Copa Panamericana) has been awarded to the U.S.
Literally just spoke to Gulati, who was completely surprised by report. "Simply not true," he told @nytimes.
— Sam Borden (@SamBorden) June 12, 2014
Qatar was awarded the rights for the World Cup 2022 way back in 2010 but it couldn’t escape the controversies. One of which is that FIFA officials were bribed to vote in favor of Qatar.
Although top officials have denied the recent reports, the rumours of relocation won’t stop with still eight years away from the World Cup in Qatar.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- DeMarcus Cousins, Omar Casspi Lift Undermanned Sacramento Kings Over New Orleans Pelicans, 99-89
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys