‘Game of Thrones' Season 4 Episode 9: 'The Watchers on the Wall' Giant Is Real, Former Basketball Player
By Tanya Diente | June 13, 2014 9:44 AM EST
One of the giants who made his way into the inner gate wall in the Season 4, Episode 9 of "Game of Thrones' entitled The Watchers on the Wall" is a real giant and a former basketball player.
Cast member Peter Dinklage arrives for the season four premiere of the HBO series "Game of Thrones" in New York in this March 18, 2014, file photo. The blood-filled finale of the fourth season of HBO's fantasy series "Game of Thrones" was watched by 7.1 million viewers, the network said on Monday, topping the 5.4 million people who watched last season's closing episode.
"Game of Thrones: The Watchers on the Wall" focuses on the wall being attacked on both sides by mammoths, wildlings and giants. One of the giants is former North Carolina and Holly Cross big man named Neil Fingleton, reports sportingnews.
Fingleton's appearance in "Game of Thrones: The Watchers on the Wall" was confirmed by a twitter post and the end credits of the "Game of Thrones" episode.
Neil Fingleton is certainly a giant with his height of seven feet and five inches. His appearance in "Game of Thrones: The Watchers on the Wall' is among his lists of movie cameos. He also appeared as a giant, a warrior or a body guard in a handful of TV shows and movies including "X-Men: First Class" and "47 Ronin."
Neil Fingleton is among those who fell short of expectations among the most highly recruited basketball players, reports yahoo. However, unlike Renardo Sidney, Lenny Cooke and Chris Burgess, who quickly faded from the public eye, Fingleton has established his name as one of the world's tallest actor. He thought that he had to embark on a second career since his basketball career did not progress as far as many once expected.
A native of Durham, England, Fingleton attended high school in Massachusetts where he earned a spot on the 2000 McDonald's All-American team. He eventually signed with North Carolina after an intense recruiting battle. A back injury postponed Neil Fingleton's Tar Heels debut for a year. He only played one game in Chapel Hill before eventually transferring to Holy Cross.
Neil Fingleton graduated from Holy Cross in 2004 and thereafter played as a reserve center for two years. He also played pro-basketball overseas for three years before embarking on a new career path - acting.
Neil Fingleton not only acts, he also owns a clothing business catering to big and tall men like him, whom anyone would consider a giant.
In 2011, Neil Fingleton told Holy Cross magazine that his "ultimate goal" is to be able to work as a full-time actor. However, the scope of his roles is limited because of his height.
Yahoo reports that a cameo in "Game of Thrones" is a step in Neil Fingleton's goal. And the publicity he has received for the cameo should also help.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Dallas Cowboys Have Worst Linebackers in History, Tony Romo To Miss Games Again – Gerry Fraley
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Update: 4 Feature Upgrades That Really Matter