‘Game of Thrones' Season 4 Episode 9: 'The Watchers on the Wall' Giant Is Real, Former Basketball Player
By Tanya Diente | June 13, 2014 9:44 AM EST
One of the giants who made his way into the inner gate wall in the Season 4, Episode 9 of "Game of Thrones' entitled The Watchers on the Wall" is a real giant and a former basketball player.
Cast member Peter Dinklage arrives for the season four premiere of the HBO series "Game of Thrones" in New York in this March 18, 2014, file photo. The blood-filled finale of the fourth season of HBO's fantasy series "Game of Thrones" was watched by 7.1 million viewers, the network said on Monday, topping the 5.4 million people who watched last season's closing episode.
"Game of Thrones: The Watchers on the Wall" focuses on the wall being attacked on both sides by mammoths, wildlings and giants. One of the giants is former North Carolina and Holly Cross big man named Neil Fingleton, reports sportingnews.
Fingleton's appearance in "Game of Thrones: The Watchers on the Wall" was confirmed by a twitter post and the end credits of the "Game of Thrones" episode.
Neil Fingleton is certainly a giant with his height of seven feet and five inches. His appearance in "Game of Thrones: The Watchers on the Wall' is among his lists of movie cameos. He also appeared as a giant, a warrior or a body guard in a handful of TV shows and movies including "X-Men: First Class" and "47 Ronin."
Neil Fingleton is among those who fell short of expectations among the most highly recruited basketball players, reports yahoo. However, unlike Renardo Sidney, Lenny Cooke and Chris Burgess, who quickly faded from the public eye, Fingleton has established his name as one of the world's tallest actor. He thought that he had to embark on a second career since his basketball career did not progress as far as many once expected.
A native of Durham, England, Fingleton attended high school in Massachusetts where he earned a spot on the 2000 McDonald's All-American team. He eventually signed with North Carolina after an intense recruiting battle. A back injury postponed Neil Fingleton's Tar Heels debut for a year. He only played one game in Chapel Hill before eventually transferring to Holy Cross.
Neil Fingleton graduated from Holy Cross in 2004 and thereafter played as a reserve center for two years. He also played pro-basketball overseas for three years before embarking on a new career path - acting.
Neil Fingleton not only acts, he also owns a clothing business catering to big and tall men like him, whom anyone would consider a giant.
In 2011, Neil Fingleton told Holy Cross magazine that his "ultimate goal" is to be able to work as a full-time actor. However, the scope of his roles is limited because of his height.
Yahoo reports that a cameo in "Game of Thrones" is a step in Neil Fingleton's goal. And the publicity he has received for the cameo should also help.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown