Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. Note 3 - Can Note 4 Beat Note 3 Head-On
By Pavithra Rathinavel | June 13, 2014 8:55 AM EST
The recently leaked information pertaining to the long-awaited Samsung Galaxy Note 4 gives a glimpse of what can be expected out of this terrific phablet. The Note 4 is expected to be released in September, which will be in-line with Samsung Galaxy Note 3's release, last year.
Readers who are planning to purchase the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 or waiting for the release of the Galaxy Note 4, here is a specification and features comparison.
The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 has a 5.7 inches Super AMOLED display with 1,080 x 1,920 pixels resolution. The Galaxy Note 4, on the other hand, is expected to sport the same 5.7 inches display but the screen resolution will be phenomenal with a bundled pixel range of 2,560 x 1,440 (2K display). The pixel strength of the Note 3 is 386 ppi, while the upcoming Note 4 is expected to come with more than 500 ppi of pixel density. In addition, the phablet Note 4 is expected to come with a bendable or flexible display.
Hardware, Software and Internal Storage
The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 is powered by 3 different processor/chipset combination; a quad-core (Qualcomm Snapdragon 800) Krait 400 processor clocked at 2.3 GHz (or) quad-core Cortex-A15 chipset clocked at 1.9 GHz (or) quad-core Cortex-A7 chipset clocked at 1.3 GHz with 3 GB of RAM and 16 GB, 32 GB or 64 GB of internal storage. Whereas the Note 4 will be powered by a superior quad-core (Qualcomm Snapdragon 805) processor clocked at 2.5 GHz. Other reports also point out to the existence of a Note 4 variant with an octa-core 64-bit processor, with 4 GB of RAM and up to 128 GB of internal storage.
The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 is expected to run on the latest Android 4.4.3 KitKat or the upcoming Android 4.5 Lollipop, while Note 3 runs on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, which is upgradable to Android 4.4.2 KitKat.
Battery and Camera
The Galaxy Note 3 houses a Li-Ion 3200 mAh battery unit, which provides up to 21 hours of 3G talk-time and 420 hours of 3G stand-by time. On the other hand, the Galaxy Note 4 is expected to house a slightly better 3600 mAh battery unit.
The Galaxy Note 3 comes with a 13 MP and 2 MP rear and front-facing camera units respectively, with 2K recording capability. While the Galaxy Note 4 is expected to sport a whopping 20.7 MP as the primary camera unit and a 5 MP as the secondary camera unit. If rumors were true, the Note 4 camera would support 4K recording capabilities like the LG G3.
1. The Note 3 comes in white, black, pink, and gold colours. The Galaxy Note 4, on the other hand, is expected to come in black, white, green and red shades, says Note4Galaxy.
3. The Note 4 will reportedly feature 'Aqua Capture' capability. This feature can be used to capture photos under water.
4. The other feature includes 'Multi Network for Booster.' This feature utilizes both the LTE and Wi-Fi to give a temporary speed boost.
5. Similar to Galaxy S5, the Note 4 will also feature a form of fingerprint scanner technology. But the underlying details are unknown, at this point in time.
6. Samsung is expected to release the Galaxy Gear 3 smartwatch along with the much- anticipated Galaxy Note 4.
To contact the editor, e-mail: