Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini—Specifications Faceoff
By Pavithra Rathinavel | June 13, 2014 8:49 AM EST
Samsung's Galaxy S5 got released only in April, but the compact version of the Galaxy S5 is already making news. Recently leaked information pertaining to the much-awaited Galaxy S5 Mini shows terrific hardware specifications and killer features. Here is a comparison between the upcoming Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini and its predecessor, the Galaxy S4 Mini, which was released in July 2013.
The Galaxy S4 Mini has a 4.3 inches display, while the Galaxy S5 Mini will sport a slightly bigger screen size of 4.5 inches. The Galaxy S4 Mini comes with a display resolution of 540 x 960 pixels, while the resolution of the Galaxy S5 Mini is going to be much better than the S4 Mini at 720 x 1,280 pixels range. The S4 Mini comes with a thickness of 0.35 inches and it weighs only 107 g, whereas the specifications for the Galaxy S5 Mini pertaining to size are not available at this point in time.
Hardware and Software
The Galaxy S4 Mini is powered by dual-core (Qualcomm Snapdragon 400) Krait processor, clocked at 1.7 GHz, which houses 1.5 GB of RAM. The Galaxy S5 Mini, on the other hand, is powered by a superior quad-core Cortex-A7 CPU (Exynos 3 Quad chipset) clocked at 1.4 GHz. Also, the handset houses the same 1.5 GB of RAM.
The Galaxy S4 Mini runs on Android v4.2.2 Jelly Bean (upgradable to v4.4.2 KitKat) with Samsung's custom UI TouchWiz. The Galaxy S5 Mini will be running on Android v4.4.2 KitKat with TouchWiz UI on top of it.
The Galaxy S4 Mini houses 8 GB of internal storage, while the upcoming S5 Mini will house 16 GB of internal memory. In addition, both the handsets support microSD card for expansion up to 64 GB.
Both the devices sport the same 8 MP primary camera with autofocus and LED flash. Also, the Galaxy S4 Mini and the Galaxy S5 Mini house 1.9 MP and 2.1 MP front-facing camera units respectively. In addition, both the smartphones support face detection, geo tagging, HDR, panorama, and voice command.
The Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini will feature a good 2100 mAh user-replaceable battery unit, whereas the Galaxy S4 Mini houses a relatively lesser 1900 mAh user-replaceable battery unit. The Galaxy S4 Mini can provide up to 12 hours of 3G talk-time and 300 hours of 3G stand-by time. The battery life of the upcoming S5 Mini will be analysed once the phone is launched.
Connectivity and SIM
Both the phones support Bluetooth v4.0, Wi-Fi, LTE, microUSB slots and NFC. The Galaxy S4 Mini supports optional dual-sim mode and it employs micro-sim type, while the Galaxy S5 Mini is expected to follow suit.
The Galaxy S5 Mini can be expected in white and blue shades, while the Galaxy S4 Mini comes in black, white, blue, pink, orange and purple shades. However, not all colours are widely available.
The upcoming Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini handset is IP67 certified; that translates to featuring water and dust proof body. In addition, the handset houses fingerprint scanner, and heart-rate monitor. The Galaxy S5 Mini will also sport Ultra Power Saving Mode, Kids Mode, Private Mode, and KNOX, to name a few.
Price and Launch Date
The Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini with 4G LTE is priced at AU$359.95, while the Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini is expected to be launched/announced on June 12, 2014. The price details are not available at this point in time.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight