Boxing News 2014: Floyd Mayweather’s Net Income Hits $105 Million
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 13, 2014 8:48 AM EST
With just two fights that lasted 72 minutes, unbeaten American boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr earned a net income of $105 million. These are purely for his bouts with Canelo Alvarez in September 2013 and Marcos Maidana in May 2014, unlike other athletes whose income are boosted by endorsements.
Marcos Maidana (L) of Argentina takes a punch from Floyd Mayweather Jr. of the U.S. during their WBC/WBA welterweight unification fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, May 3, 2014. REUTERS/Steve Marcus
The huge sums of money explains why he is also called Money May and why he topped Forbes Magazine's newly released list of the highest paid athletes in the world. It covers the period June 2013 to May 2014.
It was the second year in a row that Mayweather held the number one position, held by golfer Tiger Woods from 2001 to 2011. In 2012, Mayweather grabbed the title from Woods with a net income of $85 million.
Woods is now on 6th spot with net earnings of $61.2 million. On second place is footballer Cristiano Ronaldo with $80 million and on third is basketballer LeBron James with $72.3 million.
"I'm humbled and extremely fortunate to be recognized by Forbes as the highest-paid athlete once again. I'm doing something no other athlete is doing, promoting myself and seeing my hard work pay off in the form of record-breaking numbers," Money May said.
Mayweather just broke off with Golden Boy Promotions of Oscar de la Hoya and is relying on his own promotions company for his remaining three fights with Showtime.
It is estimated that Mayweather had earned $400 million since he turned pro in 1996, and he is showing to the world that he is enjoying his wealth to the hilt by posting videos of himself aboard his yacht and splurging millions on diamonds, watches and expensive cars.
He even justifies his profligate lifestyle, claiming he had talked to God who has allegedly approved of Mayweather's spending because he is the greatest and king.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet