Boxing News 2014: Floyd Mayweather’s Net Income Hits $105 Million
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 13, 2014 8:48 AM EST
With just two fights that lasted 72 minutes, unbeaten American boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr earned a net income of $105 million. These are purely for his bouts with Canelo Alvarez in September 2013 and Marcos Maidana in May 2014, unlike other athletes whose income are boosted by endorsements.
Marcos Maidana (L) of Argentina takes a punch from Floyd Mayweather Jr. of the U.S. during their WBC/WBA welterweight unification fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, May 3, 2014. REUTERS/Steve Marcus
The huge sums of money explains why he is also called Money May and why he topped Forbes Magazine's newly released list of the highest paid athletes in the world. It covers the period June 2013 to May 2014.
It was the second year in a row that Mayweather held the number one position, held by golfer Tiger Woods from 2001 to 2011. In 2012, Mayweather grabbed the title from Woods with a net income of $85 million.
Woods is now on 6th spot with net earnings of $61.2 million. On second place is footballer Cristiano Ronaldo with $80 million and on third is basketballer LeBron James with $72.3 million.
"I'm humbled and extremely fortunate to be recognized by Forbes as the highest-paid athlete once again. I'm doing something no other athlete is doing, promoting myself and seeing my hard work pay off in the form of record-breaking numbers," Money May said.
Mayweather just broke off with Golden Boy Promotions of Oscar de la Hoya and is relying on his own promotions company for his remaining three fights with Showtime.
It is estimated that Mayweather had earned $400 million since he turned pro in 1996, and he is showing to the world that he is enjoying his wealth to the hilt by posting videos of himself aboard his yacht and splurging millions on diamonds, watches and expensive cars.
He even justifies his profligate lifestyle, claiming he had talked to God who has allegedly approved of Mayweather's spending because he is the greatest and king.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues