Boxing News 2014: Floyd Mayweather’s Net Income Hits $105 Million
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 13, 2014 8:48 AM EST
With just two fights that lasted 72 minutes, unbeaten American boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr earned a net income of $105 million. These are purely for his bouts with Canelo Alvarez in September 2013 and Marcos Maidana in May 2014, unlike other athletes whose income are boosted by endorsements.
Marcos Maidana (L) of Argentina takes a punch from Floyd Mayweather Jr. of the U.S. during their WBC/WBA welterweight unification fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, May 3, 2014. REUTERS/Steve Marcus
The huge sums of money explains why he is also called Money May and why he topped Forbes Magazine's newly released list of the highest paid athletes in the world. It covers the period June 2013 to May 2014.
It was the second year in a row that Mayweather held the number one position, held by golfer Tiger Woods from 2001 to 2011. In 2012, Mayweather grabbed the title from Woods with a net income of $85 million.
Woods is now on 6th spot with net earnings of $61.2 million. On second place is footballer Cristiano Ronaldo with $80 million and on third is basketballer LeBron James with $72.3 million.
"I'm humbled and extremely fortunate to be recognized by Forbes as the highest-paid athlete once again. I'm doing something no other athlete is doing, promoting myself and seeing my hard work pay off in the form of record-breaking numbers," Money May said.
Mayweather just broke off with Golden Boy Promotions of Oscar de la Hoya and is relying on his own promotions company for his remaining three fights with Showtime.
It is estimated that Mayweather had earned $400 million since he turned pro in 1996, and he is showing to the world that he is enjoying his wealth to the hilt by posting videos of himself aboard his yacht and splurging millions on diamonds, watches and expensive cars.
He even justifies his profligate lifestyle, claiming he had talked to God who has allegedly approved of Mayweather's spending because he is the greatest and king.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga