Liverpool FC Transfer News: No Napoli Extension for On-Loan Reds Goalkeeper, Says Boss
By Mark Wayne Eubank | June 13, 2014 1:12 AM EST
Napoli boss Rafa Benitez will not hold on to on-loan Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina, after his commitment with the Serie A club will expire this month.
The Spanish international, who is out-of-favour at Anfield, will have to fight for the starting spot upon return, otherwise, he will need to consider moving to another club that can grant him his demands.
“He has to go back and he’ll stay there. We can’t afford Pepe’s wages.” - Rafa Benitez on Pepe Reina
"Yes. Pepe has two years left on his contract at Liverpool," the former Reds boss told talkSPORT.
"He has to go back and he'll stay there. We can't afford Pepe's wages."
"The Premier League is a very big league and, in Serie A, we don't pay big wages like in England. He will have to fight for his position at Liverpool."
Reina, 31, who still has a lot of years left in his career as a shot-stopper, is rumoured to be considered by La Liga giants FC Barcelona to provide necessary competition to apparent first-choice Marc-Andre ter Stegen.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Serena Williams and Rumoured Boyfriend Patrick Mouratoglou Spotted on a Date in NYC
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Mehdi Benatia and Alex Song in the Mix as Wenger Looks to 'Strengthen Defensive Department'
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015