Liverpool FC Transfer News: No Napoli Extension for On-Loan Reds Goalkeeper, Says Boss
By Mark Wayne Eubank | June 13, 2014 1:12 AM EST
Napoli boss Rafa Benitez will not hold on to on-loan Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina, after his commitment with the Serie A club will expire this month.
The Spanish international, who is out-of-favour at Anfield, will have to fight for the starting spot upon return, otherwise, he will need to consider moving to another club that can grant him his demands.
“He has to go back and he’ll stay there. We can’t afford Pepe’s wages.” - Rafa Benitez on Pepe Reina
"Yes. Pepe has two years left on his contract at Liverpool," the former Reds boss told talkSPORT.
"He has to go back and he'll stay there. We can't afford Pepe's wages."
"The Premier League is a very big league and, in Serie A, we don't pay big wages like in England. He will have to fight for his position at Liverpool."
Reina, 31, who still has a lot of years left in his career as a shot-stopper, is rumoured to be considered by La Liga giants FC Barcelona to provide necessary competition to apparent first-choice Marc-Andre ter Stegen.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- Iggy Azalea Sex Tape: The Story So Far
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone