Liverpool FC Transfer News: No Napoli Extension for On-Loan Reds Goalkeeper, Says Boss
By Mark Wayne Eubank | June 13, 2014 1:12 AM EST
Napoli boss Rafa Benitez will not hold on to on-loan Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina, after his commitment with the Serie A club will expire this month.
The Spanish international, who is out-of-favour at Anfield, will have to fight for the starting spot upon return, otherwise, he will need to consider moving to another club that can grant him his demands.
“He has to go back and he’ll stay there. We can’t afford Pepe’s wages.” - Rafa Benitez on Pepe Reina
"Yes. Pepe has two years left on his contract at Liverpool," the former Reds boss told talkSPORT.
"He has to go back and he'll stay there. We can't afford Pepe's wages."
"The Premier League is a very big league and, in Serie A, we don't pay big wages like in England. He will have to fight for his position at Liverpool."
Reina, 31, who still has a lot of years left in his career as a shot-stopper, is rumoured to be considered by La Liga giants FC Barcelona to provide necessary competition to apparent first-choice Marc-Andre ter Stegen.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles