Liverpool FC Transfer News: No Napoli Extension for On-Loan Reds Goalkeeper, Says Boss
By Mark Wayne Eubank | June 13, 2014 1:12 AM EST
Napoli boss Rafa Benitez will not hold on to on-loan Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina, after his commitment with the Serie A club will expire this month.
The Spanish international, who is out-of-favour at Anfield, will have to fight for the starting spot upon return, otherwise, he will need to consider moving to another club that can grant him his demands.
“He has to go back and he’ll stay there. We can’t afford Pepe’s wages.” - Rafa Benitez on Pepe Reina
"Yes. Pepe has two years left on his contract at Liverpool," the former Reds boss told talkSPORT.
"He has to go back and he'll stay there. We can't afford Pepe's wages."
"The Premier League is a very big league and, in Serie A, we don't pay big wages like in England. He will have to fight for his position at Liverpool."
Reina, 31, who still has a lot of years left in his career as a shot-stopper, is rumoured to be considered by La Liga giants FC Barcelona to provide necessary competition to apparent first-choice Marc-Andre ter Stegen.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June