Federer-Slayer Gulbis Waste Away French Open Winnings in Casino
By James Patrick Quizon | June 12, 2014 11:13 PM EST
Roughly two weeks after beating a top five player for the first time in his career in a Grand Slam tournament, Ernests Gulbis lost big in a Latvian casino saying that he “gambled away a percentage of my winnings.”
Ernests Gulbis of Latvia reacts during his men's singles match against Roger Federer of Switzerland at the French Open tennis tournament at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris June 1, 2014.
Gulbis admitted the casino loss in an interview with a BBC Sport reporter (video courtesy: Sport Feed YouTube):
“Not really party, I went to casino to gamble away a percentage of my winnings so I need to get it back this week,” jokingly admitted Gulbis who won north of half a million dollars in the Paris grand slam.
“I was a big loser.”
Gulbis is considered “one of the villains” in tennis or rather one of the most outspoken players in the men’s tour and he’s also coming from one of the wealthiest families in his country, Latvia so it’s highly probable that he spent most of his French Open winnings in a casino.
Seeded No. 18 at Roland Garros, Gulbis upset No. 4 and former world number one Roger Federer, 6-7 (5), 7-6 (3), 6-2, 4-6, 6-3 in the fourth round of the recently concluded 2014 French Open.
Gulbis beat Tomas Berdych in the quarters, 6-3, 6-2, 6-4 before falling to Novak Djokovic in the semifinals, 3-6, 3-6, 6-3, 3-6.
For his efforts in Paris, Gulbis climbed to No. 10 in the ATP rankings.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air