Federer-Slayer Gulbis Waste Away French Open Winnings in Casino
By James Patrick Quizon | June 12, 2014 11:13 PM EST
Roughly two weeks after beating a top five player for the first time in his career in a Grand Slam tournament, Ernests Gulbis lost big in a Latvian casino saying that he “gambled away a percentage of my winnings.”
Ernests Gulbis of Latvia reacts during his men's singles match against Roger Federer of Switzerland at the French Open tennis tournament at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris June 1, 2014.
Gulbis admitted the casino loss in an interview with a BBC Sport reporter (video courtesy: Sport Feed YouTube):
“Not really party, I went to casino to gamble away a percentage of my winnings so I need to get it back this week,” jokingly admitted Gulbis who won north of half a million dollars in the Paris grand slam.
“I was a big loser.”
Gulbis is considered “one of the villains” in tennis or rather one of the most outspoken players in the men’s tour and he’s also coming from one of the wealthiest families in his country, Latvia so it’s highly probable that he spent most of his French Open winnings in a casino.
Seeded No. 18 at Roland Garros, Gulbis upset No. 4 and former world number one Roger Federer, 6-7 (5), 7-6 (3), 6-2, 4-6, 6-3 in the fourth round of the recently concluded 2014 French Open.
Gulbis beat Tomas Berdych in the quarters, 6-3, 6-2, 6-4 before falling to Novak Djokovic in the semifinals, 3-6, 3-6, 6-3, 3-6.
For his efforts in Paris, Gulbis climbed to No. 10 in the ATP rankings.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS