Aussie Mom Poisons 4-Year-Old Daughter With Chemo Drugs, Creates 'Fake' Facebook Page to Seek Attention
By Reissa Su | June 12, 2014 6:30 PM EST
An Australian mom in Queensland was sentenced to jail for six years after poisoning her 4-year-old daughter with chemotherapy drugs to attract attention.
The woman, whose identity cannot be revealed for legal purposes, has been tried before a Brisbane court. According to the judge, the 23-year-old woman has put her daughter at "unquantifiable risk."
Reports said the woman bought cancer drugs online and had her healthy daughter take them for nine months. The woman has spent 426 days in custody and will be eligible for parole on April 10, 2015. According to court documents, she had faked symptoms to have her appendix removed after poisoning her daughter.
According to medical experts, her daughter, now aged 5, will more likely contract a life-threatening disease which includes bone marrow failure.
In an interview with reporters outside the Brisbane District Court, the young girl's maternal grandmother said it was hard for her to see her granddaughter sick.
She added she's was glad the girl is healthy now. The girl is now under the custody of her maternal granddaughter. The family has decided to stick with the woman throughout her jail sentence.
Catherine Morgan, defense barrister, said the girl's mother has suffered from an extremely rare mental disorder known as factitious disorder by proxy. Under this condition, a person will intentionally produce or exaggerate symptoms of another person under his care.
But Prosecutor Glen Cash did not agree. He said the woman was suffering from a personality disorder and not a mental one. He claimed the defendant was not delusional or psychotic.
He said the chemo drugs had placed the child at risk of infertility and increased her chances of developing cancer later on.
Judge Anthony Rafter said the mother's betrayal of her daughter's trust was "incomprehensible" for she had caused her child to experience severe suffering.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Heart Diseases Can Be Healed with Fat: Study Says
- 232 Teeth Extracted from a Teenager: World Record
- HIV/AIDS Cure a Step Closer with Anti-Cancer Drugs 'Kicking' Virus Out of Infected Cells
- Dwayne Johnson Talks About Overcoming Depression
- Johns Hopkins Hospital Agrees To Pay $190 Million To Settle Gynaecology Scandal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales