Aussie Mom Poisons 4-Year-Old Daughter With Chemo Drugs, Creates 'Fake' Facebook Page to Seek Attention
By Reissa Su | June 12, 2014 6:30 PM EST
An Australian mom in Queensland was sentenced to jail for six years after poisoning her 4-year-old daughter with chemotherapy drugs to attract attention.
The woman, whose identity cannot be revealed for legal purposes, has been tried before a Brisbane court. According to the judge, the 23-year-old woman has put her daughter at "unquantifiable risk."
Reports said the woman bought cancer drugs online and had her healthy daughter take them for nine months. The woman has spent 426 days in custody and will be eligible for parole on April 10, 2015. According to court documents, she had faked symptoms to have her appendix removed after poisoning her daughter.
According to medical experts, her daughter, now aged 5, will more likely contract a life-threatening disease which includes bone marrow failure.
In an interview with reporters outside the Brisbane District Court, the young girl's maternal grandmother said it was hard for her to see her granddaughter sick.
She added she's was glad the girl is healthy now. The girl is now under the custody of her maternal granddaughter. The family has decided to stick with the woman throughout her jail sentence.
Catherine Morgan, defense barrister, said the girl's mother has suffered from an extremely rare mental disorder known as factitious disorder by proxy. Under this condition, a person will intentionally produce or exaggerate symptoms of another person under his care.
But Prosecutor Glen Cash did not agree. He said the woman was suffering from a personality disorder and not a mental one. He claimed the defendant was not delusional or psychotic.
He said the chemo drugs had placed the child at risk of infertility and increased her chances of developing cancer later on.
Judge Anthony Rafter said the mother's betrayal of her daughter's trust was "incomprehensible" for she had caused her child to experience severe suffering.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Joan Rivers May Have Died From Propofol Like Michael Jackson
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy: Middleton's Morning Sickness Could Cause Risk Of Miscarriage[Watch Video]
- Prince Harry Turns 30 And Inherits $16 Million: Cancels Birthday Bash Due To Morning Sickness Of His Sister-in-Law Kate Middleton
- Ebola Update: Australian Aid Worker Appeals For More Field Hospitals, U.S. Steps Up Efforts To Fight Virus
- Whoopi Goldberg Lost 35 Pounds on Rocco DiSpirito’s 'Pound a Day' Diet: The Diet Gives Faster Results Than Liposuction
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone