Aussie Mom Poisons 4-Year-Old Daughter With Chemo Drugs, Creates 'Fake' Facebook Page to Seek Attention
By Reissa Su | June 12, 2014 6:30 PM EST
An Australian mom in Queensland was sentenced to jail for six years after poisoning her 4-year-old daughter with chemotherapy drugs to attract attention.
The woman, whose identity cannot be revealed for legal purposes, has been tried before a Brisbane court. According to the judge, the 23-year-old woman has put her daughter at "unquantifiable risk."
Reports said the woman bought cancer drugs online and had her healthy daughter take them for nine months. The woman has spent 426 days in custody and will be eligible for parole on April 10, 2015. According to court documents, she had faked symptoms to have her appendix removed after poisoning her daughter.
According to medical experts, her daughter, now aged 5, will more likely contract a life-threatening disease which includes bone marrow failure.
In an interview with reporters outside the Brisbane District Court, the young girl's maternal grandmother said it was hard for her to see her granddaughter sick.
She added she's was glad the girl is healthy now. The girl is now under the custody of her maternal granddaughter. The family has decided to stick with the woman throughout her jail sentence.
Catherine Morgan, defense barrister, said the girl's mother has suffered from an extremely rare mental disorder known as factitious disorder by proxy. Under this condition, a person will intentionally produce or exaggerate symptoms of another person under his care.
But Prosecutor Glen Cash did not agree. He said the woman was suffering from a personality disorder and not a mental one. He claimed the defendant was not delusional or psychotic.
He said the chemo drugs had placed the child at risk of infertility and increased her chances of developing cancer later on.
Judge Anthony Rafter said the mother's betrayal of her daughter's trust was "incomprehensible" for she had caused her child to experience severe suffering.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Spreads Through Red Cross Vaccine - Ghana Nurse ‘Testifies’; The Truth About Red Cross
- Ebola News Regarding Wortham's Kindergarterners Infected is False, Angry Reactions
- Ebola Outbreak Blamed on Infected Bushmeat; First Family to Catch Virus Hunted Bats
- Ebola Is Changing The Religious Landscape In West Africa
- Ebola Does Not Infect But Scares Southwestern College To Evacuate Students
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar