Aussie Mom Poisons 4-Year-Old Daughter With Chemo Drugs, Creates 'Fake' Facebook Page to Seek Attention
By Reissa Su | June 12, 2014 6:30 PM EST
An Australian mom in Queensland was sentenced to jail for six years after poisoning her 4-year-old daughter with chemotherapy drugs to attract attention.
The woman, whose identity cannot be revealed for legal purposes, has been tried before a Brisbane court. According to the judge, the 23-year-old woman has put her daughter at "unquantifiable risk."
Reports said the woman bought cancer drugs online and had her healthy daughter take them for nine months. The woman has spent 426 days in custody and will be eligible for parole on April 10, 2015. According to court documents, she had faked symptoms to have her appendix removed after poisoning her daughter.
According to medical experts, her daughter, now aged 5, will more likely contract a life-threatening disease which includes bone marrow failure.
In an interview with reporters outside the Brisbane District Court, the young girl's maternal grandmother said it was hard for her to see her granddaughter sick.
She added she's was glad the girl is healthy now. The girl is now under the custody of her maternal granddaughter. The family has decided to stick with the woman throughout her jail sentence.
Catherine Morgan, defense barrister, said the girl's mother has suffered from an extremely rare mental disorder known as factitious disorder by proxy. Under this condition, a person will intentionally produce or exaggerate symptoms of another person under his care.
But Prosecutor Glen Cash did not agree. He said the woman was suffering from a personality disorder and not a mental one. He claimed the defendant was not delusional or psychotic.
He said the chemo drugs had placed the child at risk of infertility and increased her chances of developing cancer later on.
Judge Anthony Rafter said the mother's betrayal of her daughter's trust was "incomprehensible" for she had caused her child to experience severe suffering.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Kendall Jenner's Secret To A Slim and Sexy Body: All About Her Diet And Fitness Routine [Watch Video]
- Sleep Deprivation Among Teens Is The Main Cause of Low Academic Performance, Bad Behaviour And Lethargy, Finds Study
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Pilgrimage To Mecca: The Latest Health and Travel Advice For Muslim Hajj And Umrah With Regard To MERS-CoV
- Bill Gates Believes Ebola Could Spread Outside West Africa, Warns Countries Should Strengthen Healthcare
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate