Toyota Motor Shares Up Despite 'Expanded Airbag-related Recall'
By Athena Yenko | June 12, 2014 6:14 PM EST
"We rate Toyota Motor Corp. a buy. This is driven by a number of strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, impressive record of earnings per share growth, attractive valuation levels, good cash flow from operations and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows low profit margins," TheStreet Ratings team said.
The rose in shares occurred despite the company's announcement of expanded airbag-related recall across countries amounting to $2.27 million.
The recall covered Toyota's 20 car models, including Corolla sedan and Yaris subcompact, ABC reported.
"There is a risk that the airbag container could break down and scatter around, which could cause fire or injuries," Toyota Motor said in a statement given to Japan's transport ministry.
A passenger in Japan who reported about his passenger seat burnt up due to the airbag defect sparked Toyota's worldwide recall, according to a company spokesman. Fortunately, there are no grave injuries and fatal accidents that had been reported.
In April, TM had already recalled a total of 6.38 million cars worldwide due to numerous defects. The company is now in a difficult place protecting its brand against bad reputation.
In May, the company retained its position as the market leader in terms of worldwide sales volume for selling 9.98 million vehicles in 2013 up by 2 percent from its total sales in 2012, NASDAQ reports.
But TM also topped the list with the most number of vehicles recalled both in 2012 and 2013. The company had a record of 5.3 million cars recalled both in 2012 and 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones
- BlackBerry Offers $600 To Lure iPhone Owners To Switch To Passport Phone
- Beware: Black Friday Bargain Hunters, Clothes With Deep Discounts Are About To Go Out Of Fashion
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates