Toyota Motor Shares Up Despite 'Expanded Airbag-related Recall'
By Athena Yenko | June 12, 2014 6:14 PM EST
"We rate Toyota Motor Corp. a buy. This is driven by a number of strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, impressive record of earnings per share growth, attractive valuation levels, good cash flow from operations and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows low profit margins," TheStreet Ratings team said.
The rose in shares occurred despite the company's announcement of expanded airbag-related recall across countries amounting to $2.27 million.
The recall covered Toyota's 20 car models, including Corolla sedan and Yaris subcompact, ABC reported.
"There is a risk that the airbag container could break down and scatter around, which could cause fire or injuries," Toyota Motor said in a statement given to Japan's transport ministry.
A passenger in Japan who reported about his passenger seat burnt up due to the airbag defect sparked Toyota's worldwide recall, according to a company spokesman. Fortunately, there are no grave injuries and fatal accidents that had been reported.
In April, TM had already recalled a total of 6.38 million cars worldwide due to numerous defects. The company is now in a difficult place protecting its brand against bad reputation.
In May, the company retained its position as the market leader in terms of worldwide sales volume for selling 9.98 million vehicles in 2013 up by 2 percent from its total sales in 2012, NASDAQ reports.
But TM also topped the list with the most number of vehicles recalled both in 2012 and 2013. The company had a record of 5.3 million cars recalled both in 2012 and 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown