‘5 Seconds of Summer’ Covers ‘American Idiot’
By Karen Nielsen Palconit | June 12, 2014 5:51 PM EST
"5 Seconds of Summer" gathered applauses and screams from the listeners as they rocked the song, "American Idiot," for "Kerrang!'s" tribute to the band, "Green Day."
This Australian-based pop-rock band made a refreshing approach to 2004 punk piece original from "Green Day." Even if their style was lighter compared to the original, music critics still approved it, saying that it gave justice to the song. They incorporated elements of pop with lighter guitar strums and drum beats but maintained its punk-ness with the gruff vocals.
Covering one of the songs of their music influence was a reaffirmation of the band's talent as they got the honor to cover "Green Day's" hit despite being new to music indurtsy. Kerrang! gave them such opportunity along with other bands such as "The Swellers" and "Falling in Reverse."
It then gave assurance to the fans who believed that they were indeed a pop-rock band, not a pop band. Listeners of "5 Seconds of Summer" have debated as to whether the band's genre was pop-rock or simply, pop. Some believed that they were pop since they went to a tour with the English boyband, "One Direction." But their followers rationalized that they leaned towards pop-rock given their manner of dressing, and guitar riffs and drum beats. Twitter followers also showed their delight of listening to the band's cover. They praised them for being skillful on capturing the punk vibe of the song.
"5 Seconds of Summer" started to gain fame when they posted videos of their cover versions of Mike Posner's "Please Don't Go" and Chris Brown's "Next toYou." They are composed of Michael Clifford (guitar, vocals) Luke Hemmings (lead guitar, vocals), Calum Hood (bass guitar), and Ashton Irwin (drums). Then they became more popular when they became a part of "Take Me Home Tour" of "One Direction." Their "She Looked So Perfect" song became popular in many countries such as Australia and United Kingdom.
On the other hand, "Green Day" was formed in 1987. They have been rocking the airwaves since then and released punk hits like "Basket Case." They released their seventh album entitled "American Idiot" in 2004.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Celebs: Struggle With Drug Addiction
Join the Conversation
- Bachelorette 2014, Bachelor 2015 Spoilers: Andi Dorfman Hints at Next Bachelor; Find Out What He Thinks About the Job
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic says ‘Back in the Saddle’, Beckett, Castle Romance to Grow Stronger
- Orange is the New Black Update: Reality T.V. Star to Appear in Season 3, Actor Says Show can Run for Long Time, even with New Protagonist
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Spoilers: Nymeria Sand and Arya's Nymeria As Possible Ferocious Forces in New HBO Chapter
- The Bachelor 2014 Update: Nikki Ferrell Sparks Split News Amid Juan Pablo’s Cheating Reports; Find out the Truth
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More