‘5 Seconds of Summer’ Covers ‘American Idiot’
By Karen Nielsen Palconit | June 12, 2014 5:51 PM EST
"5 Seconds of Summer" gathered applauses and screams from the listeners as they rocked the song, "American Idiot," for "Kerrang!'s" tribute to the band, "Green Day."
This Australian-based pop-rock band made a refreshing approach to 2004 punk piece original from "Green Day." Even if their style was lighter compared to the original, music critics still approved it, saying that it gave justice to the song. They incorporated elements of pop with lighter guitar strums and drum beats but maintained its punk-ness with the gruff vocals.
Covering one of the songs of their music influence was a reaffirmation of the band's talent as they got the honor to cover "Green Day's" hit despite being new to music indurtsy. Kerrang! gave them such opportunity along with other bands such as "The Swellers" and "Falling in Reverse."
It then gave assurance to the fans who believed that they were indeed a pop-rock band, not a pop band. Listeners of "5 Seconds of Summer" have debated as to whether the band's genre was pop-rock or simply, pop. Some believed that they were pop since they went to a tour with the English boyband, "One Direction." But their followers rationalized that they leaned towards pop-rock given their manner of dressing, and guitar riffs and drum beats. Twitter followers also showed their delight of listening to the band's cover. They praised them for being skillful on capturing the punk vibe of the song.
"5 Seconds of Summer" started to gain fame when they posted videos of their cover versions of Mike Posner's "Please Don't Go" and Chris Brown's "Next toYou." They are composed of Michael Clifford (guitar, vocals) Luke Hemmings (lead guitar, vocals), Calum Hood (bass guitar), and Ashton Irwin (drums). Then they became more popular when they became a part of "Take Me Home Tour" of "One Direction." Their "She Looked So Perfect" song became popular in many countries such as Australia and United Kingdom.
On the other hand, "Green Day" was formed in 1987. They have been rocking the airwaves since then and released punk hits like "Basket Case." They released their seventh album entitled "American Idiot" in 2004.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Trial’s Second Week: TPB Founder’s Co-Defendant Answers Questions Plus Jacob Appelbaum Appears
- Miley Cyrus Naked Picture In Bathroom: 'Bangerz' Singer Shares The Racy Picture With Fans
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date