‘5 Seconds of Summer’ Covers ‘American Idiot’
By Karen Nielsen Palconit | June 12, 2014 5:51 PM EST
"5 Seconds of Summer" gathered applauses and screams from the listeners as they rocked the song, "American Idiot," for "Kerrang!'s" tribute to the band, "Green Day."
This Australian-based pop-rock band made a refreshing approach to 2004 punk piece original from "Green Day." Even if their style was lighter compared to the original, music critics still approved it, saying that it gave justice to the song. They incorporated elements of pop with lighter guitar strums and drum beats but maintained its punk-ness with the gruff vocals.
Covering one of the songs of their music influence was a reaffirmation of the band's talent as they got the honor to cover "Green Day's" hit despite being new to music indurtsy. Kerrang! gave them such opportunity along with other bands such as "The Swellers" and "Falling in Reverse."
It then gave assurance to the fans who believed that they were indeed a pop-rock band, not a pop band. Listeners of "5 Seconds of Summer" have debated as to whether the band's genre was pop-rock or simply, pop. Some believed that they were pop since they went to a tour with the English boyband, "One Direction." But their followers rationalized that they leaned towards pop-rock given their manner of dressing, and guitar riffs and drum beats. Twitter followers also showed their delight of listening to the band's cover. They praised them for being skillful on capturing the punk vibe of the song.
"5 Seconds of Summer" started to gain fame when they posted videos of their cover versions of Mike Posner's "Please Don't Go" and Chris Brown's "Next toYou." They are composed of Michael Clifford (guitar, vocals) Luke Hemmings (lead guitar, vocals), Calum Hood (bass guitar), and Ashton Irwin (drums). Then they became more popular when they became a part of "Take Me Home Tour" of "One Direction." Their "She Looked So Perfect" song became popular in many countries such as Australia and United Kingdom.
On the other hand, "Green Day" was formed in 1987. They have been rocking the airwaves since then and released punk hits like "Basket Case." They released their seventh album entitled "American Idiot" in 2004.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers For Aug. 22, 2014: Liam’s Confession About Paris To Hope And Deacon’s Revelation To Brooke In ‘B&B’ [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers For Aug. 21, 2014: A Party For Hope And Wyatt Affects Liam’s Pride In ‘B&B’ [WATCH VIDEO]
- Chuck Zito Apologises For Offensive Comment On Christy Mack Beating
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 1 Teaser Video: ‘What’s Coming Next’
- ‘True Blood’ Final Episode Thank You: Watch Sookie Ask Whether God Made Us All, Find Out Why 'True Blood' Is Ending [VIDEO]
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch