‘5 Seconds of Summer’ Covers ‘American Idiot’
By Karen Nielsen Palconit | June 12, 2014 5:51 PM EST
"5 Seconds of Summer" gathered applauses and screams from the listeners as they rocked the song, "American Idiot," for "Kerrang!'s" tribute to the band, "Green Day."
This Australian-based pop-rock band made a refreshing approach to 2004 punk piece original from "Green Day." Even if their style was lighter compared to the original, music critics still approved it, saying that it gave justice to the song. They incorporated elements of pop with lighter guitar strums and drum beats but maintained its punk-ness with the gruff vocals.
Covering one of the songs of their music influence was a reaffirmation of the band's talent as they got the honor to cover "Green Day's" hit despite being new to music indurtsy. Kerrang! gave them such opportunity along with other bands such as "The Swellers" and "Falling in Reverse."
It then gave assurance to the fans who believed that they were indeed a pop-rock band, not a pop band. Listeners of "5 Seconds of Summer" have debated as to whether the band's genre was pop-rock or simply, pop. Some believed that they were pop since they went to a tour with the English boyband, "One Direction." But their followers rationalized that they leaned towards pop-rock given their manner of dressing, and guitar riffs and drum beats. Twitter followers also showed their delight of listening to the band's cover. They praised them for being skillful on capturing the punk vibe of the song.
"5 Seconds of Summer" started to gain fame when they posted videos of their cover versions of Mike Posner's "Please Don't Go" and Chris Brown's "Next toYou." They are composed of Michael Clifford (guitar, vocals) Luke Hemmings (lead guitar, vocals), Calum Hood (bass guitar), and Ashton Irwin (drums). Then they became more popular when they became a part of "Take Me Home Tour" of "One Direction." Their "She Looked So Perfect" song became popular in many countries such as Australia and United Kingdom.
On the other hand, "Green Day" was formed in 1987. They have been rocking the airwaves since then and released punk hits like "Basket Case." They released their seventh album entitled "American Idiot" in 2004.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Premiere Questions: 'Frozen' Story Kicks Off, Queen Elsa vs Emma Swan vs The Evil Queen - New Story Unfolds [SPOILERS]
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate