‘5 Seconds of Summer’ Covers ‘American Idiot’
By Karen Nielsen Palconit | June 12, 2014 5:51 PM EST
"5 Seconds of Summer" gathered applauses and screams from the listeners as they rocked the song, "American Idiot," for "Kerrang!'s" tribute to the band, "Green Day."
This Australian-based pop-rock band made a refreshing approach to 2004 punk piece original from "Green Day." Even if their style was lighter compared to the original, music critics still approved it, saying that it gave justice to the song. They incorporated elements of pop with lighter guitar strums and drum beats but maintained its punk-ness with the gruff vocals.
Covering one of the songs of their music influence was a reaffirmation of the band's talent as they got the honor to cover "Green Day's" hit despite being new to music indurtsy. Kerrang! gave them such opportunity along with other bands such as "The Swellers" and "Falling in Reverse."
It then gave assurance to the fans who believed that they were indeed a pop-rock band, not a pop band. Listeners of "5 Seconds of Summer" have debated as to whether the band's genre was pop-rock or simply, pop. Some believed that they were pop since they went to a tour with the English boyband, "One Direction." But their followers rationalized that they leaned towards pop-rock given their manner of dressing, and guitar riffs and drum beats. Twitter followers also showed their delight of listening to the band's cover. They praised them for being skillful on capturing the punk vibe of the song.
"5 Seconds of Summer" started to gain fame when they posted videos of their cover versions of Mike Posner's "Please Don't Go" and Chris Brown's "Next toYou." They are composed of Michael Clifford (guitar, vocals) Luke Hemmings (lead guitar, vocals), Calum Hood (bass guitar), and Ashton Irwin (drums). Then they became more popular when they became a part of "Take Me Home Tour" of "One Direction." Their "She Looked So Perfect" song became popular in many countries such as Australia and United Kingdom.
On the other hand, "Green Day" was formed in 1987. They have been rocking the airwaves since then and released punk hits like "Basket Case." They released their seventh album entitled "American Idiot" in 2004.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS