Neil Gaiman's 'American Gods' TV Series: HBO Explains Why They Won’t Push Through with It
By charmaine corne clutton | June 12, 2014 5:44 PM EST
HBO has disappointed Neil Gaiman's fans as they announced that they will be passing off the chance to adapt Gaiman's "American Gods." The adaptation process has been long in the works - first being HBO's initial plan to adapt the fantasy novel and the second being Fremantle Media's attempt to make it into a potential TV series.
The fate of Gaiman's "American Gods" still remains unclear and vague. HBO head Michael Lombardo, however, offered an explanation as to why the novel has not been adapted into a TV series.
"I think we're all huge fans of the book, and I think the script just didn't-we couldn't craft the script as good as we needed it to be. I think we knew going in that it would be a challenge; every good book is a challenge to adapt it and find the level you need for it. The bar is high now for great dramas. And to find that bar-we tried. So it was a huge disappointment. We tried three different writers, we put a lot of effort into it. Some things just don't happen. We have to trust at the end of the day, if you don't have a star with a great script, you're just not going to go through with it."
For those who are not familiar with "Sandman" creator Neil Gaiman's "American Gods," the work basically follows the life of ex-convict Shadow Moon, who teams up with a strangecon=man Mr. Wednesday (who is also secretly a god himself). The two become embroiled in a battle between classic (yet passé) mythological gods and the 'new' American gods furnished with greed, technology and celebrity.
Fremantile Media North America, however, has breathed new life to the novel where Gaiman shall co-produce. Fremantle Media also has deals with A&E for their TV adaptation of the French drama "The Returned."
Hopefully Neil Gaiman's fans will see their idol's work, "American Gods" brought to life on television. Fans are just hoping that Fremantle Media does justice to Gaiman's iconic piece.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales