Neil Gaiman's 'American Gods' TV Series: HBO Explains Why They Won’t Push Through with It
By charmaine corne clutton | June 12, 2014 5:44 PM EST
HBO has disappointed Neil Gaiman's fans as they announced that they will be passing off the chance to adapt Gaiman's "American Gods." The adaptation process has been long in the works - first being HBO's initial plan to adapt the fantasy novel and the second being Fremantle Media's attempt to make it into a potential TV series.
The fate of Gaiman's "American Gods" still remains unclear and vague. HBO head Michael Lombardo, however, offered an explanation as to why the novel has not been adapted into a TV series.
"I think we're all huge fans of the book, and I think the script just didn't-we couldn't craft the script as good as we needed it to be. I think we knew going in that it would be a challenge; every good book is a challenge to adapt it and find the level you need for it. The bar is high now for great dramas. And to find that bar-we tried. So it was a huge disappointment. We tried three different writers, we put a lot of effort into it. Some things just don't happen. We have to trust at the end of the day, if you don't have a star with a great script, you're just not going to go through with it."
For those who are not familiar with "Sandman" creator Neil Gaiman's "American Gods," the work basically follows the life of ex-convict Shadow Moon, who teams up with a strangecon=man Mr. Wednesday (who is also secretly a god himself). The two become embroiled in a battle between classic (yet passé) mythological gods and the 'new' American gods furnished with greed, technology and celebrity.
Fremantile Media North America, however, has breathed new life to the novel where Gaiman shall co-produce. Fremantle Media also has deals with A&E for their TV adaptation of the French drama "The Returned."
Hopefully Neil Gaiman's fans will see their idol's work, "American Gods" brought to life on television. Fans are just hoping that Fremantle Media does justice to Gaiman's iconic piece.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Premiere Questions: 'Frozen' Story Kicks Off, Queen Elsa vs Emma Swan vs The Evil Queen - New Story Unfolds [SPOILERS]
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate