Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Android 4.4.2 KitKat from Verizon Out; More than 10 Changes Included
By Ryan Inoyori | June 12, 2014 5:20 PM EST
Verizon Wireless is now releasing the official Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware for its Samsung Galaxy Note 2 model. It comes with six major features, six major bug-fixing patches and seven changes for native applications.
The largest network carrier in North America, Verizon Wireless is now seeding out the official Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware for the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 after updating its successor, the Galaxy Note 3. Users can now download and install the software update by going to Settings > About Phone > Software Updates and get the KOT49H.I605VRUFND7 firmware build version.
In general, Android 4.4.2 KitKat for the Verizon Galaxy Note 2 delivers optimised system apps, faster performance speed, support for wireless printing, advanced Location Settings control, new white status bar icons, emoji for the keyboard and other miscellaneous improvements.
According to Verizon Wireless, the firmware also include six major changes, six bug-squashing patches and seven new applications for the Galaxy Note 2 phablet.
Six Major Changes
The latest firmware version brings the following major changes to Verizon's Samsung Galaxy Note 2:
1. Samsung KNOX Security version 2.0 with compatibility for enterprise customers.
2. Dual Persona
3. TIMA Real Time Kernel Protection
4. Trust-Zone based ODE
5. Universal MDM Client and Samsung Enterprise Gateway
6. KNOX Generic VPN Framework.
Six Major Bug Fixing Patches
Verizon's Android 4.4.2 Kitkat brings major patches to fix the following bugs:
1. Error code popups fixed in Backup Assistant
2. Search icon has been removed within S Memo when there is no memo
3. Favourite Contact information background is now more readable
4. Connectivity has been improved when streaming music
5. Stability has been improved for Samsung Gear Manager
6. Text alert improvements for select factory installed car kits.
Seven New Application Updates
The latest firmware bring changes or updates to the following applications:
1. Google Drive
2. Google Photos
3. Google Play Newsstand
4. Emergency Alerts App Icon
5. S Suggest has been removed
6. Samsung Music has been removed
7. Support for Samsung Galaxy Gear 2 has been added.
Installation Notes from Verizon Wireless
Users should download the new software after the device has been fully charged and if it's receiving a strong Verizon Wireless or Wi-Fi signal to avoid any interruptions.
Android 4.4.3 KitKat Plans
So far, Samsung has not yet announced future upgrade plans for the Galaxy Note 2 as the device already faced software support expiration. Android 4.4.3 KitKat mainly features additional bug fixes for known problems on Android 4.4.2 KitKat.
If the current firmware is stable, it is likely the phablet's final firmware version unless Verizon Wireless decides to deliver another major upgrade.
To contact the editor, e-mail: