Wellington Changes Name to ‘Vellington’ in Support of ‘What We Do in the Shadows’
By Anne Lu | June 12, 2014 3:17 PM EST
Wellington has been overtaken by vampires. The New Zealand capital has been renamed Vellington in support of the vampire comedy flick “What We Do in the Shadows.”
Comedians Taika Waititi and Jemaine Clement, who also wrote and directed the mockumentary, unveiled the new Vellington sign on Miramar Hill on Tuesday during a media conference.
Instead of the capital city’s name, the W has been changed with a red V to read Vellington.
— Taika Waititi (@TaikaWaititi) June 9, 2014
“Vellington’s perfectly suited to be the vampire capital, it’s another example of our city getting behind the film industry while making the most of the chance to showcase our home to the Vorld,” mayor Celia Vade-Brown said.
“Ve think this idea is vonderful and ve applaud Vellington for opening its doors to the Vampire community,” Waititi, who went in character as the centuries-old vampire Viago, said.
“Ve can’t promise not ot eat anyone but ve vill do our best.”
The new “Vellington” sign coincides with the launch of Positively Wellington Tourism’s new video “Vampire’s Guide to Vellington,” a short clip hosted by Viago.
Wellington also changed its Web site to VellingtonNZ.com.
“What We Do in the Shadows” is a mockumentary based on Waititi and Celement’s 2006 short film of the same name. It follows the lives of immortal vampires Viago, Vladislav (Clement), Petyr (Ben Fransham) and Deacon (Jonathan Brugh), who live in a flat in Wellington.
The blood-sucking vampires find out that living in the modern world isn’t as easy as it used to. They now struggle to pay rent, do chores and socialise.
The film premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in January, and will be released on June 19 in New Zealand.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’