Citizens Beware: Canada Wants Answers on Quebec Jailbreak, Interpol Issues Alert on 3 Fugitives
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 12, 2014 2:08 PM EST
Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard has ordered a probe and wants immediate answers on how three fugitives were able to escape from a jail near Quebec City over the weekend using a helicopter.
"It's not acceptable. I'm not happy at all with this. We're going to deal with this, first bring the people back into jail, and then make sure this doesn't happen again," CBC News quoted Couillard.
On Wednesday, the Interpol released an Orange Notice to all 190-member countries to help track down the three fugitives. The notice warned of "an event, a person, an object or a process representing an imminent threat and danger to persons or property." The organisation released the international alert based on a request from its Ottawa branch, run by the RCMP.
Yves Denis, Denis Lefebvre and Serge Pomerleau managed to escape from the Orsainville Detention Centre in suburban Quebec City on Saturday when a chopper landed in a courtyard. The flight from the detention facility happened so fast as the chooper scooped them up and quickly took off.
Denis is facing first-degree murder charges, while Lefebvre and Pomerleau are facing charges of murder and conspiracy to murder, according to the Montreal Gazette. Arrested in 2010, they were originally slapped with drug-trafficking and gangsterism charges.
Saturday's escape plan was the second time that inmates have escaped from jail via helicopter from a Quebec detention facility. Two inmates in March 2013 made a similar escape plan from a St-Jérôme detention centre. They were immediately caught by police within a few hours and brought back to detention.
"Two escapes by helicopter in Quebec is not acceptable. Two is too many," Couillard said.
"The first priority is to get those three persons back in jail again," Couillard told reporters in Quebec City. "This is what threatens citizens' security as we speak.
"Now, the government is not satisfied with the flow of information, the level of information and the coherence of the information that it has received from the various actors, and there are four of them in this situation. We want to go at the bottom of that situation."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- New Zealand and China Decide to Boost Defence Ties
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian Govt Found Tinkering Wikipedia Crash Info
- Scientists Warn MERS Virus Could be Spread Airborne
- British PM Cameron Urges Tough Sanctions Against Russia
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales