Citizens Beware: Canada Wants Answers on Quebec Jailbreak, Interpol Issues Alert on 3 Fugitives
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 12, 2014 2:08 PM EST
Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard has ordered a probe and wants immediate answers on how three fugitives were able to escape from a jail near Quebec City over the weekend using a helicopter.
"It's not acceptable. I'm not happy at all with this. We're going to deal with this, first bring the people back into jail, and then make sure this doesn't happen again," CBC News quoted Couillard.
On Wednesday, the Interpol released an Orange Notice to all 190-member countries to help track down the three fugitives. The notice warned of "an event, a person, an object or a process representing an imminent threat and danger to persons or property." The organisation released the international alert based on a request from its Ottawa branch, run by the RCMP.
Yves Denis, Denis Lefebvre and Serge Pomerleau managed to escape from the Orsainville Detention Centre in suburban Quebec City on Saturday when a chopper landed in a courtyard. The flight from the detention facility happened so fast as the chooper scooped them up and quickly took off.
Denis is facing first-degree murder charges, while Lefebvre and Pomerleau are facing charges of murder and conspiracy to murder, according to the Montreal Gazette. Arrested in 2010, they were originally slapped with drug-trafficking and gangsterism charges.
Saturday's escape plan was the second time that inmates have escaped from jail via helicopter from a Quebec detention facility. Two inmates in March 2013 made a similar escape plan from a St-Jérôme detention centre. They were immediately caught by police within a few hours and brought back to detention.
"Two escapes by helicopter in Quebec is not acceptable. Two is too many," Couillard said.
"The first priority is to get those three persons back in jail again," Couillard told reporters in Quebec City. "This is what threatens citizens' security as we speak.
"Now, the government is not satisfied with the flow of information, the level of information and the coherence of the information that it has received from the various actors, and there are four of them in this situation. We want to go at the bottom of that situation."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display