Citizens Beware: Canada Wants Answers on Quebec Jailbreak, Interpol Issues Alert on 3 Fugitives
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 12, 2014 2:08 PM EST
Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard has ordered a probe and wants immediate answers on how three fugitives were able to escape from a jail near Quebec City over the weekend using a helicopter.
"It's not acceptable. I'm not happy at all with this. We're going to deal with this, first bring the people back into jail, and then make sure this doesn't happen again," CBC News quoted Couillard.
On Wednesday, the Interpol released an Orange Notice to all 190-member countries to help track down the three fugitives. The notice warned of "an event, a person, an object or a process representing an imminent threat and danger to persons or property." The organisation released the international alert based on a request from its Ottawa branch, run by the RCMP.
Yves Denis, Denis Lefebvre and Serge Pomerleau managed to escape from the Orsainville Detention Centre in suburban Quebec City on Saturday when a chopper landed in a courtyard. The flight from the detention facility happened so fast as the chooper scooped them up and quickly took off.
Denis is facing first-degree murder charges, while Lefebvre and Pomerleau are facing charges of murder and conspiracy to murder, according to the Montreal Gazette. Arrested in 2010, they were originally slapped with drug-trafficking and gangsterism charges.
Saturday's escape plan was the second time that inmates have escaped from jail via helicopter from a Quebec detention facility. Two inmates in March 2013 made a similar escape plan from a St-Jérôme detention centre. They were immediately caught by police within a few hours and brought back to detention.
"Two escapes by helicopter in Quebec is not acceptable. Two is too many," Couillard said.
"The first priority is to get those three persons back in jail again," Couillard told reporters in Quebec City. "This is what threatens citizens' security as we speak.
"Now, the government is not satisfied with the flow of information, the level of information and the coherence of the information that it has received from the various actors, and there are four of them in this situation. We want to go at the bottom of that situation."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Amner Hall Residence
- Australia's Imam Council Rebuffs Abbott Decision To Send Troops; Wants 'Islamic' Dropped From ISIS
- Spying Claims Muddle New Zealand Election as Dotcom Calls Key Gov't An 'American Slave'
- Germany to Send Soldiers to Iraq, Bans Displays of Support for ISIS
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date