Truck Driver Kevin Roper Fatally Injuring Tracy Morgan Plead 'Not Guilty,' Released on $50K Bail
By Annie Dee | June 12, 2014 1:58 PM EST
Kevin Roper, the man driving the tractor-trailer that put "30 Rock" Star Tracy Morgan on his critical condition on Saturday has been released after paying a $50,000 bail.
The actor has slammed claims that he refused help his estranged mother avoid foreclosure
The veteran actor was critically injured in the accident with one of his friends being killed. The Middlesex County Courthouse decided on June 11 that the driver should be charged with vehicular homicide and assault by auto but was released on bail, New York Daily reported.
According to New York Daily, the truck driver was silent when he appeared on Court. He already proclaimed his innocence on Twitter, but he did not say at all when he was released on bail afterward. His attorney maintained his innocence.
Bradley Ferencz, the judge presiding over this case, took note of Kevin's clean record before the fatal accident that left Morgan's friend dead and the actor himself in a critical condition. But this does not deter the judge from charging him with vehicular homicide and assault by auto.
Roper pleaded not guilty on all these charges.
CNN cited before he was released, the judge warned him against escaping or going anywhere without his lawyer knowing.
"Let me just give you a caution, sir," the judge told the defendant. "You make sure your lawyer knows exactly where you are. You go anywhere, you drive anywhere, you go across country somewhere else, you need to be in contact. You understand that?"
"Yes sir," Roper responded.
Roper did not say anything despite the media horde greeted him upon his arrival on the courthouse premises. Most questions focused on his controversial Twitter post, where he proclaimed he was innocent and scapegoated in the crash. His Twitter posts also attacked the media's selective reporting.
"Today we saw why media has turned this country into nothing but a real life REALITY SHOW," read one of the Twitter messages.
"Do they all come to my court date if a certain "FAMOUS PERSON" wasn't involved? Did the media show up for all the other ACCIDENTS this year that a driver was charged with a crime?"
Kevin posted a total of five Twitter messages claiming he was innocent of the crime and critic of the police, who only paid attention when they realized one of the victims was the famous comic.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Finale Performance Episode Recap, Spoilers: 6 Finalists Perform Their Last Acts To Win Finals
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- Nina Dobrev Moves On From Ian Somerhalder: ‘TVD’ Actress Trying To Reconcile With Ex, ‘DWTS’ Star Derek Hough—Report Suggests
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Casting: Brothel Guard, Military Officer And More
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Skyler Samuels Roped In To Play Pivotal Role, Extended Teaser Released [VIDEO]
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet