New Zealand Unaware of Abbott's 'Alliance' in Email Mistakenly Sent to Media
By Reissa Su | June 12, 2014 1:17 PM EST
An email from the office of New Zealand Prime Minister John Key was accidentally sent to a Newstalk ZB reporter which revealed details not to be shared yet in public. The contents of Mr Key's personal notes include a killing and a secret meeting of United Nations ambassadors to Queenstown.
New Zealand's Prime Minister John Key speaks at a luncheon in Sydney February 7, 2014 file photo. REUTERS/Brendon Thorne/Pool
The secret meeting is reported to be part of the country's bid for a seat in the UN Security Council. The email also contained Mr Key's "talking points" to be given to media on several issues. It was erroneously sent by one of Mr Key's press secretaries before a scheduled media conference. The personal notes were addressed to chief of staff Wayne Eagleson and Foreign Affairs adviser Ben King.
According to Newstalk, Mr Key's private email contained a briefing by the Auckland police about the suspects in a Henderson homicide case. The note said police were to reveal in a later press conference that the two suspects in their custody are teens aged 12 and 13.
Mr Key was provided with cues on what to say to media, including condolences and words of comfort. The email also contained information about TV3's filming of 11 UN diplomats and staff who were given a free trip to Queenstown from New York. Reports said this may be a controversial issue since the government has vowed it will "not throw money" to win a seat in a UN security council.
In what appears to be an attempt to downplay the significance of the Queenstown visit, Mr Key said the meeting was about focusing on sustainable agriculture. According to TV3, the UN diplomats and their staff were taken sightseeing, shopping and seen on Shotover Jet ride.
Mr Key had told media that the cost of New Zealand's bid was lower than the amount spent by Australia and other countries.
The email suggested New Zealand was not aware of Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott's to seek an alliance of centre-right governments which reportedly includes the UK, Australia, New Zealand and India. The alleged alliance will attempt to stand against U.S. President Barack Obama's plan to push for tighter climate change policies.
Mr Key was advised to say on the matter that he has not talked to Mr Abbott about it. He was also instructed on his notes to highlight New Zealand's climate change policies. He was asked to say that the government takes the issue of climate change seriously.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers