Australian Navy to Kick Out Sailors in Hazing Rites With Sex Assault
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 12, 2014 11:41 AM EST
The Australian Navy will impose sanctions on eight sailors from the HMAS Ballarat who were involved in 2013 in hazing rites with sex assault. Some of them are in danger of being kicked out of service, said the Ministry of Defence in a statement.
Credit: Reuters/Sivaram V
Italian sailors Massimiliano Latorre (L) and Salvatore Girone sit in a police vehicle after they appeared in court in the southern Indian city of Kochi June 2, 2012.
The sex assault included anal penetration using objects such as pens, water bottles, carrots, bananas and pencils.
The incident was the offshoot of a sailor's birthday celebration aboard the warship when the celebrants, both male and female, were sexually assaulted with elongated objects. In one instance, a whiteboard lid came off in a male sailor's anus who ran out screaming because of bleeding, according to a former sailed known as Bridget.
The eight have escaped court martial but would still face administrative action ranging from formal warnings to termination. The administrative action is being pursued because the internal investigation failed to produce enough evidence to file criminal charges against those involved in the sex assault.
The eight sailors were given several weeks to convince the authorities why they shouldn't be punished for their involvement.
Vice Admiral Ray Griggs, chief of Navy, who urged all Navy members to come forward if they have been victimised by such hazing rituals, said, "We have worked to clearly articulate what behaviour is appropriate in our workplace. Accountability is a feature of our cultural change program. All personnel are aware that Navy will not tolerate unacceptable behaviour."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Indonesia Uses Russian-Built Fighter Jets In Chasing For Australian Plane
- Move Over, Jeremy Meeks; Brazil Has A Handsome Crook With 39 Murders On Record
- Producers Allowed to Sue ‘Femme Fatales’ Actress Anne Greene For Refusing Nude Scenes
- Islamic State: Aussie Terrorism Suspect Was In Same Video When Runaway Teenager Threatened PM Abbott
- Islamic State: From Beheading Men, IS Moves To Stoning Adulteress To Death
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier