Australian Navy to Kick Out Sailors in Hazing Rites With Sex Assault
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 12, 2014 11:41 AM EST
The Australian Navy will impose sanctions on eight sailors from the HMAS Ballarat who were involved in 2013 in hazing rites with sex assault. Some of them are in danger of being kicked out of service, said the Ministry of Defence in a statement.
Credit: Reuters/Sivaram V
Italian sailors Massimiliano Latorre (L) and Salvatore Girone sit in a police vehicle after they appeared in court in the southern Indian city of Kochi June 2, 2012.
The sex assault included anal penetration using objects such as pens, water bottles, carrots, bananas and pencils.
The incident was the offshoot of a sailor's birthday celebration aboard the warship when the celebrants, both male and female, were sexually assaulted with elongated objects. In one instance, a whiteboard lid came off in a male sailor's anus who ran out screaming because of bleeding, according to a former sailed known as Bridget.
The eight have escaped court martial but would still face administrative action ranging from formal warnings to termination. The administrative action is being pursued because the internal investigation failed to produce enough evidence to file criminal charges against those involved in the sex assault.
The eight sailors were given several weeks to convince the authorities why they shouldn't be punished for their involvement.
Vice Admiral Ray Griggs, chief of Navy, who urged all Navy members to come forward if they have been victimised by such hazing rituals, said, "We have worked to clearly articulate what behaviour is appropriate in our workplace. Accountability is a feature of our cultural change program. All personnel are aware that Navy will not tolerate unacceptable behaviour."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone