NBA News 2014: Opt In or Out? Melo to Decide by June 23; Bulls, Mavericks and Rockets Considered as Free Agency Options
By James Patrick Quizon | June 12, 2014 11:27 AM EST
The New York Knicks have imposed a deadline of June 23 for Carmelo Anthony to decide if he is going to opt-in of the last year of his contract with the team. Should the star forward decide otherwise, Melo is reportedly considering the Chicago Bulls, Dallas Mavericks or Houston Rockets as potential free agent destinations when his contract expires.
NBA: New York Knicks at Los Angeles Lakers
According to Marc Stein of ESPN, Knicks president Phil Jackson is encouraging Anthony to stay with New York for one more year and become an unrestricted free agent after the 2014-2015 NBA season. Melo is set to be paid $23,530,000 if he remains with the team but he can forgo that final season and choose to explore free agency where he is expected to get a long-term contract with other teams.
"We're planning on meeting with Carmelo (again) in the near future. I want to express to him again I want to have him back on the team. We haven't heard one way or another about opt-in or opt-out. If he decides on free agency, he has a right to do that,” said Jackson in a press conference on Tuesday.
While there is no decision yet on his free agency, the 30-year-old star is reportedly considering the Dallas Mavericks, Chicago Bulls and Houston Rockets as potential FA destinations.
Among the three teams, Dallas appears to have the inside track if the salary situation is considered. The Mavericks have only $26.6M in salary committed to players for the 2014-15 season, when an estimated $63.2M salary cap is expected to be imposed.
Dirk Nowitzki, Shawn Marion, Vince Carter are among the recognizable names in the Dallas roster with expiring contracts this season. Nowitzki is reportedly willing to take a pay-cut for Dallas while Marion and Carter are not expected to demand big salary when they become free agents.
Both the Bulls and Rockets have to shed off salary if they want to be serious players for Melo’s services.
"As far as Carmelo is concerned, we obviously believe Carmelo is one of the top players in the NBA and world. We want him to be here, but ultimately he has the choice. We'll do everything we can possibly do to give him confidence that we can get the job done and put a team together he can feel is a championship team,” added Derek Fisher, who was officially named the Knicks head coach earlier this week.
The actual deadline for the option to be picked up or not is June 30 and he becomes a free agent the day after, July 1.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Tim Tebow Stars in SEC Network Commercial
- Fernando Alonso Describes Michael Schumacher as the Strongest Opponent He Has Faced in F1
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Serena Williams and Rumoured Boyfriend Patrick Mouratoglou Spotted on a Date in NYC
- UFC President Dana White Says He is Very Excited for Anderson Silva’s Comeback in January
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features