FIFA World Cup 2014 Predictions: Match #5 Colombia vs. Greece
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 12, 2014 10:59 AM EST
Colombia 3 Greece 0
Colombia's soccer players Juan Guillermo Cuadrado (R) and James Rodriguez talk at the squad's hotel headquarters ahead their friendly match against Jordan in preparation for the 2014 World Cup in Buenos Aires June 4, 2014.
The fifth match of the FIFA World Cup 2014 is going to be held between Colombia and Greece. This will be Colombia's fifth world cup while their best performance was in 1962 when it finished fourteenth. This is the third time Greece has qualified. The other two occasions were in 1994 and 2010.
Colombia: Colombia seems to be in high spirits to make a mark this time. It has a strong line of players who can do wonders practically in all the departments. The South American team is presently ranked eighth in the world. It defeated Jordan 3-0 in its last pre-world cup friendly. Colombia coach Jose Nestor Pekerman included midfielder Carlos Carbonero at the last moment before the world cup. While the team is sure to miss its best player Radamel Falcao who has been left out of the squad due to knee injury, it has got enough steam in Fredy Guarin and James Rodriguez among others to take the team forward.
Greece: Greece won only one match in their previous two appearances in 1994 and 2010. However, it tends to surprise strong teams with an uncanny ability to strike back. It stunned the world after winning the Euro 2004. However, the team may just fall short of a good striker, which it compensates with its strong defence. It will be extremely difficult to score against Greece. It conceded only one goal in its three pre-world cup friendlies against Portugal (0-0), Nigeria (0-0) and Bolivia (2-1). Its star striker Konstantinos Mitroglou can perform for his team. However, the only concern is that he had very few on-field appearances of late due to his sickness and injury.
Head to Head
These two teams played against each other only once before. Colombia scored 2 goals in the match and won it without conceding any.
Colombia: Fredy Guarin & James Rodriguez
Greece: Georgios Samaras & Konstantinos Mitroglou
Date, Time & Venue
Brazil's time zone is UTC/GMT -3. The match starts at 1 pm (local time) on June 14, which means it is 2 am on June 15 in New South Wales, Australia. The match will be held at Estadio Mineirao in Belo Horizonte.
It will be difficult for Greece to stop Colombia at least twice in the match in spite of having a strong defence. Colombia will win it 2-0. The performance of Konstantinos Mitroglou will not make much difference in the score line.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- HTC ‘Double Exposure’ Event On October 8 Could Unveil HTC Eye With 5.2-inch FHD Display
- Apple iOS 8 Can Trump Google Android 5.0 L Upon September 17 Release
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect