Apple Warns Facebook: 'Stay Away From App Store Business'
By Naveena Joy | June 12, 2014 10:58 AM EST
Previously, Facebook reportedly announced at the F8 developer conference that it will take the full advantage of the secrecy surrounding how Apple's App Store and Google Play store on Android rank and feature apps that are favorites of the developers.
But Apple made a minor change in its App Store indicating a simple warning to Facebook to stay away from such business. Apple initiated such a rule change in a way so that apps within the App Store do not compete with them by promoting other apps or app spam that is encouraging downloads of other apps.
There are some notions that Facebook itself is a mobile app as it carries loads of ads of other apps like Candy Crush Saga seeking the users to promote the app to friends on Facebook to play the game further. Such promotion is what Apple tries to halt.
Apple's App Store is nontransparent while developers add any company that comes by like Facebook. It lets them advertise to new users and promote downloads improving their rank in the Apple App Store.
The rule cited to end Facebook from promoting its own App Center on the mobile app version of Facebook, which is hardly a big deal as the company makes more money from mobile ads for apps than from app downloads. By promoting the Facebook's App Center, it prevents from competing against Apple.
The Business Insider reported Apple has also initiated in sending messages to the developers who are also in the similar category of violating of the new rules.
"We found that your app includes features of content that can have an excessive influence in the listing order or ranking on the App Store, which is not in compliance with App Store Review Guidelines."
Also, the source said Baird Equity Research Analysts Colin Sebastian and Benjamin Gaither warned investors that this would be negative for Facebook.
The changes in the policies are related to Apple's policies stopping the distribution of apps that encourage users to watch video ads or post updates on Facebook in exchange for any kind of benefits.
Apple is striving to become a larger player in the app discovery ecosystem and by putting restrictions will pull down Facebook and app install ads down.
Facebook has been seen as a competition as it has become a larger portion of the company's mobile ad revenues and growth.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'Destiny' Third Subclass Weapon Upgrades: Super And Grenade Modifications Leaked [Video]
- 'The Sims 4' Official Mac Release: More Features Aside From Pools Expected To Be Included
- Motorola Nexus 6 vs. Sony Xperia Z3: Features On New Nexus To Match Latest Sony Phone
- Motorola Nexus 6 v HTC One M8, One M7: Reasons How New Nexus Can Match HTC Flagship Phones
- Motorola Nexus 6 vs. Samsung Galaxy S5: Practical Reasons Why Choose Latest Nexus Smartphone
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery