Apple Warns Facebook: 'Stay Away From App Store Business'
By Naveena Joy | June 12, 2014 10:58 AM EST
Previously, Facebook reportedly announced at the F8 developer conference that it will take the full advantage of the secrecy surrounding how Apple's App Store and Google Play store on Android rank and feature apps that are favorites of the developers.
But Apple made a minor change in its App Store indicating a simple warning to Facebook to stay away from such business. Apple initiated such a rule change in a way so that apps within the App Store do not compete with them by promoting other apps or app spam that is encouraging downloads of other apps.
There are some notions that Facebook itself is a mobile app as it carries loads of ads of other apps like Candy Crush Saga seeking the users to promote the app to friends on Facebook to play the game further. Such promotion is what Apple tries to halt.
Apple's App Store is nontransparent while developers add any company that comes by like Facebook. It lets them advertise to new users and promote downloads improving their rank in the Apple App Store.
The rule cited to end Facebook from promoting its own App Center on the mobile app version of Facebook, which is hardly a big deal as the company makes more money from mobile ads for apps than from app downloads. By promoting the Facebook's App Center, it prevents from competing against Apple.
The Business Insider reported Apple has also initiated in sending messages to the developers who are also in the similar category of violating of the new rules.
"We found that your app includes features of content that can have an excessive influence in the listing order or ranking on the App Store, which is not in compliance with App Store Review Guidelines."
Also, the source said Baird Equity Research Analysts Colin Sebastian and Benjamin Gaither warned investors that this would be negative for Facebook.
The changes in the policies are related to Apple's policies stopping the distribution of apps that encourage users to watch video ads or post updates on Facebook in exchange for any kind of benefits.
Apple is striving to become a larger player in the app discovery ecosystem and by putting restrictions will pull down Facebook and app install ads down.
Facebook has been seen as a competition as it has become a larger portion of the company's mobile ad revenues and growth.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- 'World Of Warcraft' ‘The Iron Tide' 6.0.2 Patch Hotfixes Update Including New Resolved Issues Regarding Scenarios, Raids, Classes, Battlegrounds And Arenas
- Sony Xperia Z3 Launched In Japan Has 32 GB Storage Compared To 16 GB International Model
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports