World Cup 2014: Big Head, the Loggerhead Turtle, Predicts Brazil Will Beat Croatia in Opening Game on Friday
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 12, 2014 10:20 AM EST
It seems that Nelly, the Elephant, has competition when it comes to predicting results of the 2014 World Cup that will open on June 12, Thursday.
A loggerhead sea turtle named Chompy is released back into the wild at the Beit Yannai beach near Netanya December 25, 2009. Chompy suffered severe injuries to his front fins after being entangled in a fishing net. The turtle underwent emergency surgery in Israel on February 22, 2008 to reconstruct one of his fins. The other fin had to be amputated. Chompy was released back to the Mediterranean Sea on Friday.
It's definitely not Paul, the Octopus, which was the star oracle of the 2010 World Cup, since the eight-armed sea creature had already died, but another sea creature named Cabecao or Big Head, the Loggerhead Turtle, reports News.com.au.
Big Head lives at the Praia do Forte turtle sanctuary, located north of Salvador. The 25-year-old turtle was made to pick the winner of Friday's opening game between Brazil and Croatia by eating a fish that dangled either from the Brazilian and Croatian flag.
Initially, he preferred to eat the fish that hung from a football, which is an indicator of a draw, but Big Head eventually chose the fish from the Brazilian flag, leading the small crowd of onlookers to cheer for the turtle's choice.
In the Chinese province of Sichuan, China is hoping Paul's official oracle title would be passed on to a panda. The animal is now at the Chengdu Research Base and would do the prediction of the winning team by choosing between two pieces of food similar to what the octopus in Germany did in 2010, or climb a tree that has the flag of the opposing teams.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Fernando Alonso Leaves Ferrari 'For Two Reasons'
- Roger Federer Says He Has Never Seen Rafael Nadal Play So Bad, Wishes That The Spaniard Recuperate Well From Appendicitis
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- Nick Kyrgios Holds Twitter Q&A, Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time And His Favourite Superhero
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Xiaomi VP Hugo Barra Says ‘Apple iPhone 6 Is The Most Beautiful Smartphone Ever Built’
- Vivo Rumoured To Be Building World’s Thinnest Smartphone With 3.8 MM Thickness