World Cup 2014: Big Head, the Loggerhead Turtle, Predicts Brazil Will Beat Croatia in Opening Game on Friday
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 12, 2014 10:20 AM EST
It seems that Nelly, the Elephant, has competition when it comes to predicting results of the 2014 World Cup that will open on June 12, Thursday.
A loggerhead sea turtle named Chompy is released back into the wild at the Beit Yannai beach near Netanya December 25, 2009. Chompy suffered severe injuries to his front fins after being entangled in a fishing net. The turtle underwent emergency surgery in Israel on February 22, 2008 to reconstruct one of his fins. The other fin had to be amputated. Chompy was released back to the Mediterranean Sea on Friday.
It's definitely not Paul, the Octopus, which was the star oracle of the 2010 World Cup, since the eight-armed sea creature had already died, but another sea creature named Cabecao or Big Head, the Loggerhead Turtle, reports News.com.au.
Big Head lives at the Praia do Forte turtle sanctuary, located north of Salvador. The 25-year-old turtle was made to pick the winner of Friday's opening game between Brazil and Croatia by eating a fish that dangled either from the Brazilian and Croatian flag.
Initially, he preferred to eat the fish that hung from a football, which is an indicator of a draw, but Big Head eventually chose the fish from the Brazilian flag, leading the small crowd of onlookers to cheer for the turtle's choice.
In the Chinese province of Sichuan, China is hoping Paul's official oracle title would be passed on to a panda. The animal is now at the Chengdu Research Base and would do the prediction of the winning team by choosing between two pieces of food similar to what the octopus in Germany did in 2010, or climb a tree that has the flag of the opposing teams.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Rafael Nadal Crowned as Most Popular Personality in Spain
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales