World Cup 2014: Big Head, the Loggerhead Turtle, Predicts Brazil Will Beat Croatia in Opening Game on Friday
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 12, 2014 10:20 AM EST
It seems that Nelly, the Elephant, has competition when it comes to predicting results of the 2014 World Cup that will open on June 12, Thursday.
A loggerhead sea turtle named Chompy is released back into the wild at the Beit Yannai beach near Netanya December 25, 2009. Chompy suffered severe injuries to his front fins after being entangled in a fishing net. The turtle underwent emergency surgery in Israel on February 22, 2008 to reconstruct one of his fins. The other fin had to be amputated. Chompy was released back to the Mediterranean Sea on Friday.
It's definitely not Paul, the Octopus, which was the star oracle of the 2010 World Cup, since the eight-armed sea creature had already died, but another sea creature named Cabecao or Big Head, the Loggerhead Turtle, reports News.com.au.
Big Head lives at the Praia do Forte turtle sanctuary, located north of Salvador. The 25-year-old turtle was made to pick the winner of Friday's opening game between Brazil and Croatia by eating a fish that dangled either from the Brazilian and Croatian flag.
Initially, he preferred to eat the fish that hung from a football, which is an indicator of a draw, but Big Head eventually chose the fish from the Brazilian flag, leading the small crowd of onlookers to cheer for the turtle's choice.
In the Chinese province of Sichuan, China is hoping Paul's official oracle title would be passed on to a panda. The animal is now at the Chengdu Research Base and would do the prediction of the winning team by choosing between two pieces of food similar to what the octopus in Germany did in 2010, or climb a tree that has the flag of the opposing teams.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related