World Cup 2014: Big Head, the Loggerhead Turtle, Predicts Brazil Will Beat Croatia in Opening Game on Friday
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 12, 2014 10:20 AM EST
It seems that Nelly, the Elephant, has competition when it comes to predicting results of the 2014 World Cup that will open on June 12, Thursday.
A loggerhead sea turtle named Chompy is released back into the wild at the Beit Yannai beach near Netanya December 25, 2009. Chompy suffered severe injuries to his front fins after being entangled in a fishing net. The turtle underwent emergency surgery in Israel on February 22, 2008 to reconstruct one of his fins. The other fin had to be amputated. Chompy was released back to the Mediterranean Sea on Friday.
It's definitely not Paul, the Octopus, which was the star oracle of the 2010 World Cup, since the eight-armed sea creature had already died, but another sea creature named Cabecao or Big Head, the Loggerhead Turtle, reports News.com.au.
Big Head lives at the Praia do Forte turtle sanctuary, located north of Salvador. The 25-year-old turtle was made to pick the winner of Friday's opening game between Brazil and Croatia by eating a fish that dangled either from the Brazilian and Croatian flag.
Initially, he preferred to eat the fish that hung from a football, which is an indicator of a draw, but Big Head eventually chose the fish from the Brazilian flag, leading the small crowd of onlookers to cheer for the turtle's choice.
In the Chinese province of Sichuan, China is hoping Paul's official oracle title would be passed on to a panda. The animal is now at the Chengdu Research Base and would do the prediction of the winning team by choosing between two pieces of food similar to what the octopus in Germany did in 2010, or climb a tree that has the flag of the opposing teams.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying