Aussie Actor Keiynan Lonsdale Cast as Uriah in ‘Divergent’ Sequel ‘Insurgent’
By Anne Lu | June 12, 2014 10:16 AM EST
Australian actor Keiynan Lonsdale has scored his biggest role to date in Hollywood. The 22-year-old has been cast as Uriah in “Insurgent,” the sequel to the blockbuster film “Divergent” starring Shailene Woodley.
— Divergent (@Divergent) June 10, 2014
I'm so honoured to have this opportunity.. I still can't believe it's real.. @Divergent #URIAH — Keiynan Lonsdale (@KeiynanLonsdale) June 10, 2014
“I was just happy enough to get a call back with the director on Skype after my first audition,” the former MTV Australian VJ told Sydney Confidential before boarding his flight to the U.S.
“When they told me I got it I freaked out, I didn’t believe it. Ever since I have been waiting for a phone call to say it was a mistake.”
Lonsdale will be joining Woodley, Theo James, Ansel Elgort Octavia Spencer and Kate Winslet in the film. Naomi Watts has also been recently announced to join the remaining three films of the series. “Allegiant,” the third and final book in the series, will be filmed in two parts.
Uriah is a Dauntless-born member who befriends Tris, played by Woodley. He is heavily featured in the first book “Divergent,” but was cut out from the film version.
Author Veronica Roth previously addressed Uriah’s exclusion from the film, writing on her blog, “It is understandably disappointing when a favourite character doesn’t make it on screen.
“However, what I do think is encouraging is that the people working on the movie are taking the role of Uriah so seriously and taking so much care to get him right.”
“Divergent” has been released in March 2014, and went on to gross over U$267 million. “Insurgent” is slated to hit theatres in March 2015, while the final two films, “Allegiant” parts one and two, will be released in March 2016 and 2017 respectively.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports