Aussie Actor Keiynan Lonsdale Cast as Uriah in ‘Divergent’ Sequel ‘Insurgent’
By Anne Lu | June 12, 2014 10:16 AM EST
Australian actor Keiynan Lonsdale has scored his biggest role to date in Hollywood. The 22-year-old has been cast as Uriah in “Insurgent,” the sequel to the blockbuster film “Divergent” starring Shailene Woodley.
— Divergent (@Divergent) June 10, 2014
I'm so honoured to have this opportunity.. I still can't believe it's real.. @Divergent #URIAH — Keiynan Lonsdale (@KeiynanLonsdale) June 10, 2014
“I was just happy enough to get a call back with the director on Skype after my first audition,” the former MTV Australian VJ told Sydney Confidential before boarding his flight to the U.S.
“When they told me I got it I freaked out, I didn’t believe it. Ever since I have been waiting for a phone call to say it was a mistake.”
Lonsdale will be joining Woodley, Theo James, Ansel Elgort Octavia Spencer and Kate Winslet in the film. Naomi Watts has also been recently announced to join the remaining three films of the series. “Allegiant,” the third and final book in the series, will be filmed in two parts.
Uriah is a Dauntless-born member who befriends Tris, played by Woodley. He is heavily featured in the first book “Divergent,” but was cut out from the film version.
Author Veronica Roth previously addressed Uriah’s exclusion from the film, writing on her blog, “It is understandably disappointing when a favourite character doesn’t make it on screen.
“However, what I do think is encouraging is that the people working on the movie are taking the role of Uriah so seriously and taking so much care to get him right.”
“Divergent” has been released in March 2014, and went on to gross over U$267 million. “Insurgent” is slated to hit theatres in March 2015, while the final two films, “Allegiant” parts one and two, will be released in March 2016 and 2017 respectively.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border