2014 World Cup News: Nigeria’s Goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama Believes an African Team Will Win in Brazil
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 11, 2014 5:19 PM EST
The Nigerian soccer national team’s goalkeeper, Vincent Enyeama has some bold words for all the contenders in the 2014 World Cup saying that an African squad will make noise in Brazil this year.
Jun 7, 2014; Jacksonville, FL, USA; (Editors note: Caption correction) United States forward Jozy Altidore (17) scores a goal as Nigeria defender Joseph Yobo (2) attempted to defend during the second half at EverBank Field. United States defeated Nigeria 2-1.
“It can happen. It can happen. Nigeria has a good team; Ghana has a great team. Cote d’Ivoire has a great, amazing team,” said the Super Eagles goalie via Vanguard. “I believe an African team can win the World Cup. It can happen. I don’t believe in negativity. I am a very positive person so, I believe it can happen in Brazil.”
The statistics are against Enyeama’s prediction however. Only three African teams have reached the quarterfinals in World Cup history; Cameroon in 1990 in Italy; Senegal in 2002 in South Korea; and most recently, Ghana in 2010 in South Africa.
The 31-year-old Enyeama has played for Nigeria since 2002 with a total of 88 caps. He also played for Hapoel Tel Aviv (2007-2011) and Lille (2011) and was loaned to Maccabi Tel Aviv from 2012-2013.
Nigeria belongs to Group F with Argentina, Bosnia-Herzegovina and Iran. Ghana is in Group G, considered the “Group of Death”, with powerhouse Germany and Portugal plus the United States of America while Ivory Coast is also in the tough Group C with Colombia, Greece and Japan.
Nigeria lost to the USA, 2-1 in a friendly match last June 7.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert