2014 World Cup News: Nigeria’s Goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama Believes an African Team Will Win in Brazil
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 11, 2014 5:19 PM EST
The Nigerian soccer national team’s goalkeeper, Vincent Enyeama has some bold words for all the contenders in the 2014 World Cup saying that an African squad will make noise in Brazil this year.
Jun 7, 2014; Jacksonville, FL, USA; (Editors note: Caption correction) United States forward Jozy Altidore (17) scores a goal as Nigeria defender Joseph Yobo (2) attempted to defend during the second half at EverBank Field. United States defeated Nigeria 2-1.
“It can happen. It can happen. Nigeria has a good team; Ghana has a great team. Cote d’Ivoire has a great, amazing team,” said the Super Eagles goalie via Vanguard. “I believe an African team can win the World Cup. It can happen. I don’t believe in negativity. I am a very positive person so, I believe it can happen in Brazil.”
The statistics are against Enyeama’s prediction however. Only three African teams have reached the quarterfinals in World Cup history; Cameroon in 1990 in Italy; Senegal in 2002 in South Korea; and most recently, Ghana in 2010 in South Africa.
The 31-year-old Enyeama has played for Nigeria since 2002 with a total of 88 caps. He also played for Hapoel Tel Aviv (2007-2011) and Lille (2011) and was loaned to Maccabi Tel Aviv from 2012-2013.
Nigeria belongs to Group F with Argentina, Bosnia-Herzegovina and Iran. Ghana is in Group G, considered the “Group of Death”, with powerhouse Germany and Portugal plus the United States of America while Ivory Coast is also in the tough Group C with Colombia, Greece and Japan.
Nigeria lost to the USA, 2-1 in a friendly match last June 7.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Chelsea FC: Thibaut Courtois Thanks Cech For Tips Following Injury Scare, Not Ready To Relinquish No. 1 Spot
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia