2014 World Cup News: Nigeria’s Goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama Believes an African Team Will Win in Brazil
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 11, 2014 5:19 PM EST
The Nigerian soccer national team’s goalkeeper, Vincent Enyeama has some bold words for all the contenders in the 2014 World Cup saying that an African squad will make noise in Brazil this year.
Jun 7, 2014; Jacksonville, FL, USA; (Editors note: Caption correction) United States forward Jozy Altidore (17) scores a goal as Nigeria defender Joseph Yobo (2) attempted to defend during the second half at EverBank Field. United States defeated Nigeria 2-1.
“It can happen. It can happen. Nigeria has a good team; Ghana has a great team. Cote d’Ivoire has a great, amazing team,” said the Super Eagles goalie via Vanguard. “I believe an African team can win the World Cup. It can happen. I don’t believe in negativity. I am a very positive person so, I believe it can happen in Brazil.”
The statistics are against Enyeama’s prediction however. Only three African teams have reached the quarterfinals in World Cup history; Cameroon in 1990 in Italy; Senegal in 2002 in South Korea; and most recently, Ghana in 2010 in South Africa.
The 31-year-old Enyeama has played for Nigeria since 2002 with a total of 88 caps. He also played for Hapoel Tel Aviv (2007-2011) and Lille (2011) and was loaned to Maccabi Tel Aviv from 2012-2013.
Nigeria belongs to Group F with Argentina, Bosnia-Herzegovina and Iran. Ghana is in Group G, considered the “Group of Death”, with powerhouse Germany and Portugal plus the United States of America while Ivory Coast is also in the tough Group C with Colombia, Greece and Japan.
Nigeria lost to the USA, 2-1 in a friendly match last June 7.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate