2014 World Cup News: Nigeria’s Goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama Believes an African Team Will Win in Brazil
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 11, 2014 5:19 PM EST
The Nigerian soccer national team’s goalkeeper, Vincent Enyeama has some bold words for all the contenders in the 2014 World Cup saying that an African squad will make noise in Brazil this year.
Jun 7, 2014; Jacksonville, FL, USA; (Editors note: Caption correction) United States forward Jozy Altidore (17) scores a goal as Nigeria defender Joseph Yobo (2) attempted to defend during the second half at EverBank Field. United States defeated Nigeria 2-1.
“It can happen. It can happen. Nigeria has a good team; Ghana has a great team. Cote d’Ivoire has a great, amazing team,” said the Super Eagles goalie via Vanguard. “I believe an African team can win the World Cup. It can happen. I don’t believe in negativity. I am a very positive person so, I believe it can happen in Brazil.”
The statistics are against Enyeama’s prediction however. Only three African teams have reached the quarterfinals in World Cup history; Cameroon in 1990 in Italy; Senegal in 2002 in South Korea; and most recently, Ghana in 2010 in South Africa.
The 31-year-old Enyeama has played for Nigeria since 2002 with a total of 88 caps. He also played for Hapoel Tel Aviv (2007-2011) and Lille (2011) and was loaned to Maccabi Tel Aviv from 2012-2013.
Nigeria belongs to Group F with Argentina, Bosnia-Herzegovina and Iran. Ghana is in Group G, considered the “Group of Death”, with powerhouse Germany and Portugal plus the United States of America while Ivory Coast is also in the tough Group C with Colombia, Greece and Japan.
Nigeria lost to the USA, 2-1 in a friendly match last June 7.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Selena Gomez Allegedly Back in Rehab, Hugs Nat Wolff the Night Justin Bieber & Orlando Bloom Made Headlines in Ibiza
- Girls Star Allison Williams to Play Titular Role in NBC's Peter Pan Live
- Kendall Jenner Forbids Sister Kim Kardashian from Attending her Fashion Shows, Considers her Presence a Hindrance - Reports
- Kendall Jenner Ignores Kim Kardashian Big Time, Tries to Befriend Beyonce - Reports
- Apple Mac Remains Strong Despite Challenging PC Market, iPhone Remains a Winner Through Q3 Price Points