2014 World Cup News: Nigeria’s Goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama Believes an African Team Will Win in Brazil
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 11, 2014 5:19 PM EST
The Nigerian soccer national team’s goalkeeper, Vincent Enyeama has some bold words for all the contenders in the 2014 World Cup saying that an African squad will make noise in Brazil this year.
Jun 7, 2014; Jacksonville, FL, USA; (Editors note: Caption correction) United States forward Jozy Altidore (17) scores a goal as Nigeria defender Joseph Yobo (2) attempted to defend during the second half at EverBank Field. United States defeated Nigeria 2-1.
“It can happen. It can happen. Nigeria has a good team; Ghana has a great team. Cote d’Ivoire has a great, amazing team,” said the Super Eagles goalie via Vanguard. “I believe an African team can win the World Cup. It can happen. I don’t believe in negativity. I am a very positive person so, I believe it can happen in Brazil.”
The statistics are against Enyeama’s prediction however. Only three African teams have reached the quarterfinals in World Cup history; Cameroon in 1990 in Italy; Senegal in 2002 in South Korea; and most recently, Ghana in 2010 in South Africa.
The 31-year-old Enyeama has played for Nigeria since 2002 with a total of 88 caps. He also played for Hapoel Tel Aviv (2007-2011) and Lille (2011) and was loaned to Maccabi Tel Aviv from 2012-2013.
Nigeria belongs to Group F with Argentina, Bosnia-Herzegovina and Iran. Ghana is in Group G, considered the “Group of Death”, with powerhouse Germany and Portugal plus the United States of America while Ivory Coast is also in the tough Group C with Colombia, Greece and Japan.
Nigeria lost to the USA, 2-1 in a friendly match last June 7.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28