Security Threats Awaits OS X Yosemite And iOS 8
By Naveena Joy | June 11, 2014 4:52 PM EST
Apple has introduced a series of new features and technologies in the Worldwide Developers Conference. Those that brought huge applause are OS X Yosemite and iOS 8 operating systems.
iOS 8 brings in new openness to the operating system. The company's press release said it's their biggest developer release ever with more than 4,000 new application programming interface calls.
Apple wrote "iOS 8 allows developers to further customize the user experience with major extensibility features." But the openness invites security challenges as CNET reported more openness in Apple's mobile operating system that is great for developers and an enticement for hackers.
Richard Henderson, a security strategist at Fortinet's FortiGuard Threat Research and Response Labs, suggested the focus on continuity or seamless integration between OS X and iOS user experience may potentially be problematic for organizations and users.
Security Watch highlighted security challenges that can be faced by anyone thinking of participating in the public beta program.
1. Where is the Data Getting Stored?
The Handoff feature allows users to start working on something on iPad exactly from where they left off on the Mac. This process leads to many questions such as how exactly would Apple transmit information from one machine to another, whether Apple encrypts the data stored on iCloud servers and whether Apple can be asked to hand over information when faced with a National Security Letter or court order.
Henderson suggests an ideal situation where Apple would use end to end encryption since devices could generate private and public keys when setting up everything.
2. Password Free Hotspots Are a Threat
The Instant Hotspot helps users to share Internet connections without any password. This could be problematic especially in a public area, where anyone who can see and connect to the phone can wind up stealing bandwidth. Also, putting all these behind the iCloud account for security means only devices gets authenticated and Apple can take advantage of the hotspot feature.
3. Health Data is Not That Private
The HealthKit and Health app monitor heart rate, blood pressure, blood glucose levels and smart weigh scales. The health emergency ID screen, which also includes medications, can be accessed from the lockscreen easily. These features could be abused as it is visible to anyone who touches the phone.
4. Spotlight Data Has no location
Spotlight on both OS X Yosemite and iOS 8 will search data from sources like Wikipedia, Maps, Yelp reviews and news articles. It is unsure where Spotlight data are being stored, whether it is locally or on iCloud servers so that other devices can access the data. If Apple is building customer activity profiles similar to what Google does, then Apple should remove the profile when it is not in the Apple ecosystem.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- 'World Of Warcraft' ‘The Iron Tide' 6.0.2 Patch Hotfixes Update Including New Resolved Issues Regarding Scenarios, Raids, Classes, Battlegrounds And Arenas
- Sony Xperia Z3 Launched In Japan Has 32 GB Storage Compared To 16 GB International Model
- How To Update LG Nexus 4 To Android 4.4.4 KitKat Using LiquidSmooth Custom ROM
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’