Dan Carter Ready to Return to Rugby Field This Weekend
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 11, 2014 4:09 PM EST
After a long rest due to his injured Achilles tendon, Dan Carter is set for return this weekend playing for the Southbridge Rugby Football Club.
"I've been out for over six months and will just ease my way back into it on what will more than likely be a heavy track," said Carter via Fairfax media. "I'm probably only looking at 40 minutes of so. But it will just be good to get some game time."
The 32-year-old fly-half considered one of the greatest rugby players in the world last played competitively in his 100th Test against England in November 2013.
"Probably for the last six weeks I have been itching to get back. The more intense the training gets, the more you just want to get out there and play. It has picked up over the last six weeks and I am now at a stage where I am ready to play. There is a lot of motivation there,” he added.
A post from the official Southbridge club Facebook page also confirmed the return of Carter, who is expected to practice with his Southbridge teammates on Thursday.
“The Southbridge Rugby Football Club is extremely proud and excited to announce that our most famous son, All Blacks legend Dan Carter will be playing for our Division 1 side against Glenmark @ 2:45pm Saturday!”
Carter was born in Southbridge, a small town in the South Island of New Zealand.
Carter was the International Rugby Board player of the year twice (2005 and 2012) and has delivered four Super Rugby titles for the Crusaders plus six Tri-Nations and Rugby Championship titles for the New Zealand All Blacks.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr On Manny Pacquiao: 'He Must Know He's Not Going To Win
- For Mayweather, The Prize Comes First, Not The Fans
- Serena Williams On Caroline Wozniacki’s Friendship:’I Have Had A Love For Caroline From The Day I Met Her’
- NFL News: Chicago Bears Likely To Fire Head Coach Marc Trestman At End Of NFL Season
- NBA Trade Discussions ‘Tremendous’; 10 Teams Including Rockets, Clippers and Hornets Active For Probable Deals—NBA Insider