Shelly Sterling Seeks Court Order to Confirm Los Angeles Clippers Sale
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 11, 2014 4:08 PM EST
After her husband's flip flopping on the decision to sell the team, Shelly Sterling is looking for legal remedies to confirm the sale.
Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling (C), his wife Shelly (L) and actor George Segal attend the NBA basketball game between the Toronto Raptors and the Los Angeles Clippers at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, December 22, 2008
Shelly Sterling's attorney will appear in probate court Wednesday to seek an emergency order to hear the merits of the authority of Shelly Sterling to sell the Los Angeles Clippers, Yahoo Sports reports.
It can be recalled that Donald Sterling's wife brokered in what would be a record-breaking $2 billion deal with former Microsoft Chief Executive Officer Steve Ballmer. The sale was triggered by the controversial recordings of Donald Sterling making racist comments to a girlfriend was publicized. The NBA reacting to the scandal, immediately imposed a lifetime ban, a hefty fine, and the ouster of the maligned owner.
After numerous reports that Donald Sterling is now willing to approve the deal, he released a statement stating otherwise, clearly showing of his intentions of not selling the team but instead suing the NBA for a billion dollars.
In a statement released by his attorney Tuesday, Donald Sterling explained that he's fighting for the fundamental rights of Americans against the NBA which he labels ''a band of hypocrites and bullies'' and ''despicable monsters.''
His statement is titled in caps and underlined: ''WHY I AM FIGHTING THE NBA? THE NBA WANTS TO TAKE AWAY OUR PRIVACY RIGHTS AND FREEDOM OF SPEECH.''
While Donald Sterling is stern of his decision to take a legal action, his wife, who claims to be the sole trustee of The Sterling Family Trust, is also seeking other legal means to push through with the sale of the team. Donald Sterling was formerly a co-trustee but was stripped of the title after two neurologists certified that he is suffering from dementia and "mentally incapacitated" which was a violation of the trust's conditions. Sterling's attorneys have refuted this claim and stated that any idea entertaining of his mental incapacity is "absurd."
The objective of Shelly Sterling's move to bring into court her right to sell the team is to ensure that the Ballmer and company purchase of the Clippers moves forward without any complications. On Monday, Donald Sterling retracted on his support of the Ballmer deal and instead issued a one-page statement titled ''The Team is not for Sale.''
''I have decided that I must fight to protect my rights,'' Donald Sterling said. ''While my position may not be popular, I believe that my rights to privacy and the preservation of my rights to due process should not be trampled.''
With the move of Shelly Sterling, attorneys for Donald Sterling have stated that their client has the right to present his side at any hearing and appeal any decision of the court. His representative also assured the media that Donald Sterling shall be present during the procedures.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- WWE News: CM Punk Merchandise Pulled From Stands, Punk Chasing Royalties For WWE 2K15 Inclusion [VIDEO]
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4