Shelly Sterling Seeks Court Order to Confirm Los Angeles Clippers Sale
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 11, 2014 4:08 PM EST
After her husband's flip flopping on the decision to sell the team, Shelly Sterling is looking for legal remedies to confirm the sale.
Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling (C), his wife Shelly (L) and actor George Segal attend the NBA basketball game between the Toronto Raptors and the Los Angeles Clippers at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, December 22, 2008
Shelly Sterling's attorney will appear in probate court Wednesday to seek an emergency order to hear the merits of the authority of Shelly Sterling to sell the Los Angeles Clippers, Yahoo Sports reports.
It can be recalled that Donald Sterling's wife brokered in what would be a record-breaking $2 billion deal with former Microsoft Chief Executive Officer Steve Ballmer. The sale was triggered by the controversial recordings of Donald Sterling making racist comments to a girlfriend was publicized. The NBA reacting to the scandal, immediately imposed a lifetime ban, a hefty fine, and the ouster of the maligned owner.
After numerous reports that Donald Sterling is now willing to approve the deal, he released a statement stating otherwise, clearly showing of his intentions of not selling the team but instead suing the NBA for a billion dollars.
In a statement released by his attorney Tuesday, Donald Sterling explained that he's fighting for the fundamental rights of Americans against the NBA which he labels ''a band of hypocrites and bullies'' and ''despicable monsters.''
His statement is titled in caps and underlined: ''WHY I AM FIGHTING THE NBA? THE NBA WANTS TO TAKE AWAY OUR PRIVACY RIGHTS AND FREEDOM OF SPEECH.''
While Donald Sterling is stern of his decision to take a legal action, his wife, who claims to be the sole trustee of The Sterling Family Trust, is also seeking other legal means to push through with the sale of the team. Donald Sterling was formerly a co-trustee but was stripped of the title after two neurologists certified that he is suffering from dementia and "mentally incapacitated" which was a violation of the trust's conditions. Sterling's attorneys have refuted this claim and stated that any idea entertaining of his mental incapacity is "absurd."
The objective of Shelly Sterling's move to bring into court her right to sell the team is to ensure that the Ballmer and company purchase of the Clippers moves forward without any complications. On Monday, Donald Sterling retracted on his support of the Ballmer deal and instead issued a one-page statement titled ''The Team is not for Sale.''
''I have decided that I must fight to protect my rights,'' Donald Sterling said. ''While my position may not be popular, I believe that my rights to privacy and the preservation of my rights to due process should not be trampled.''
With the move of Shelly Sterling, attorneys for Donald Sterling have stated that their client has the right to present his side at any hearing and appeal any decision of the court. His representative also assured the media that Donald Sterling shall be present during the procedures.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’