Miss Indiana Mekayla Diehl Becomes Social Media Phenomenon For her Curvy and Womanly Body In Swimsuit Round
By nidhi tewari | June 11, 2014 4:00 PM EST
Miss Nevada, Nia Sanchez has been declared as the Miss USA 2014 winner this year but there is another woman who is gaining all the media attention for her "normal" body and she is Miss Indiana Mekayla Diehl. Though the beauty queen did not make it to the Top 10 finalists but when she appeared on the Miss USA 2014 stage wearing a swimsuit, social media went crazy with comments on her fabulous looking body. Mekayla looked healthy and normal when compared to other beauties who were on the verge of skinny and thin and people loved it.
"Miss Indiana shows you don't have to be super skinny to be beautiful," wrote @hi_itskenna on Twitter.
The beauty queen, who made it to Top 20 finalists, has responded to the overwhelming response she got on the social media network and said that she has worked "hard" to achieve this kind of body but she believes in healthy living and not being "skinny."
"I worked hard on my body without obsessing over being too skinny and I couldn't be more proud," Diehl tweeted.
"It's quite overwhelming, in a positive way. I wanted to just continue a healthy lifestyle and inspire others to go after their dreams. I never imagined that it would be in a swimsuit," the 25-year-old told Fox and Friends in a recent interview.
The beauty queen has become a social media phenomenon after Miss USA 2014 night and has been receiving Tweets from various anorexic people too who are finding her to be an inspiration. "I'm an Recovering anorexic and I think you look fabulous. Don't change who you are and thank you for loving your body," wrote @raffeecraze13 to Mekayla and she retweeted it.
However the irony of Mekayla is that she was eliminated from being the Top 10 finalists because her swimsuit score was not high enough. She is reportedly 25 pounds heavier than the average Miss USA contestant. She stands 5'8" tall and weighs 137 pounds. Mekayla wears a size 4 dress, Etonline.com reports. But Mekalya doesn't care about it and says she is proud to look womanly!
"I'm 25 and a woman, so I'm glad I look womanly. I think I'm inspiring a lot of young girls, which is what we need in today's society," the beauty queen told the Web site.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage