Instagram Expands Adverts Outside U.S., Targets UK, Canada, Australia
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 11, 2014 3:01 PM EST
"Since introducing ads last November, we've worked with a handful of top brands to draw creative inspiration from the community and create ads that were engaging and felt natural in people's feeds," Instagram said in its blog.
"So far, our community-focused efforts are working ... We're excited to build on this momentum, and in the coming months we will extend the same level of care and consideration as we introduce ads on Instagram to our global community."
Debra Aho Williamson, a principal analyst, social media and eMarketer, told portal The Drum the company's advertising rollout campaign is but a logical step.
"(The plan) will enable global brand advertisers to extend their Instagram efforts outside the US. Instagram has purposely been cautious about rolling out ads in the US, so I expect similar cautious and calculated programs in these countries."
Instagram gradually introduced advertising in November to its more than 200 million members.
"I think they've proven that people are willing to tolerate and, sometimes more than that, embrace ads that are relevant, that aren't put too frequently within their conversational stream," Mark Mahaney, a managing director and analyst at RBC Dominion Securities Inc., told the Globe and Mail.
Of the three target countries, the UK and Canada are the most important markets for Instagram, having 27.3 per cent and 20 per cent, respectively, of Internet users on the platform, a survey by eMarketer said.
"In the future we'll also look to introduce ads on Instagram to additional countries across the world," Instagram said.
Facebook acquired Instagram in 2012 for $700 million.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Muslim Leaders Refuse to Approve Tony Abbott’s Terrorism Law
- Australian Tax Office Bitcoin Guidelines a 'Disappointment'; Virtual Currency Not Treated As Money
- American Doctor Dr Kent Brantly Survives Deadly Ebola, Released from Hospital, Sent Home
- Medicinal or Otherwise, Canadian Doctors Oppose Marijuana Smoking
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members