Instagram Expands Adverts Outside U.S., Targets UK, Canada, Australia
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 11, 2014 3:01 PM EST
"Since introducing ads last November, we've worked with a handful of top brands to draw creative inspiration from the community and create ads that were engaging and felt natural in people's feeds," Instagram said in its blog.
"So far, our community-focused efforts are working ... We're excited to build on this momentum, and in the coming months we will extend the same level of care and consideration as we introduce ads on Instagram to our global community."
Debra Aho Williamson, a principal analyst, social media and eMarketer, told portal The Drum the company's advertising rollout campaign is but a logical step.
"(The plan) will enable global brand advertisers to extend their Instagram efforts outside the US. Instagram has purposely been cautious about rolling out ads in the US, so I expect similar cautious and calculated programs in these countries."
Instagram gradually introduced advertising in November to its more than 200 million members.
"I think they've proven that people are willing to tolerate and, sometimes more than that, embrace ads that are relevant, that aren't put too frequently within their conversational stream," Mark Mahaney, a managing director and analyst at RBC Dominion Securities Inc., told the Globe and Mail.
Of the three target countries, the UK and Canada are the most important markets for Instagram, having 27.3 per cent and 20 per cent, respectively, of Internet users on the platform, a survey by eMarketer said.
"In the future we'll also look to introduce ads on Instagram to additional countries across the world," Instagram said.
Facebook acquired Instagram in 2012 for $700 million.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Multi-Million Pound Law Suit Looms Over Putin’s Head, Assets At Risk
- 5 Uncanny Jobs That Actually Pay Very Well
- Ebola Virus on the Loose: World Cautioned as Infection Moves; Global Airports on High Alert; Kills Liberian Doctor, Infects American Worker
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Advisory: Britons Told to Leave Libya ASAP, UK Issues Travel Ban
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6