Nokia Corp Leads Foldable Display Technology Against Apple Inc.
By Athena Yenko | June 11, 2014 2:56 PM EST
Nokia Corp showcased a foldable OLED display technology at SID Display Week 2014 held from June 1 to 6 in San Diego. The company showcased the technology with Semiconductor Energy Laboratory (SEL) Co Ltd and Advanced Film Device (AFD) Inc, Nikkei Technology reports.
While foldable display technology remains the subject of rumours for Apple Inc., Nokia Corp showed realisation of two types of a foldable display - one can be folded three-way and the other can be folded like a book.
Both types can be folded more than 100,000 times while watching videos and have pixel count and resolution of 1,280 x 720 and 249ppi, respectively.
The book-type can be folded up to curvature radii of 2mm, while the three-way foldable can be folded up to 4mm. The three-way foldable type has OLED panels measuring 5.9 inch when unfolded.
The foldable panels were created combining white-light-emitting OLEDS and colour filter.
Display Week is an event where innovations in electronic display technology were showcased for the first time for the world to have a "first-look."
"Display Week is where the world got its first look at technologies that have shaped the display industry into what it is today: liquid crystal display (LCD) technology, organic light emitting diode (OLED) technology, HD and 4K TV, and advanced touch interfaces, just to name a few. Display Week is also where emerging industry trends such as flexible displays, electronic paper, displays for wearables, solid state lighting, digital signage, and printed electronics are brought to the forefront of the display industry," as described in the event's web site.
As electronic displays make up a $100-billion industry, the event is an opportunity for product innovators and engineers, designers, and business development decision-makers to convene and showcase display innovations.
"History has shown that the display innovations that first appear at Display Week are integrated into leading products within months to a few years," the event description read.
Meanwhile, Apple's iWatch is rumoured to have been fashioned with a curved organic OLED touchscreen. The purported device will retrieve health data like calorie consumption, sleep activity, blood glucose and blood oxygen levels, according to industry sources.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features