Nokia Corp Leads Foldable Display Technology Against Apple Inc.
By Athena Yenko | June 11, 2014 2:56 PM EST
Nokia Corp showcased a foldable OLED display technology at SID Display Week 2014 held from June 1 to 6 in San Diego. The company showcased the technology with Semiconductor Energy Laboratory (SEL) Co Ltd and Advanced Film Device (AFD) Inc, Nikkei Technology reports.
While foldable display technology remains the subject of rumours for Apple Inc., Nokia Corp showed realisation of two types of a foldable display - one can be folded three-way and the other can be folded like a book.
Both types can be folded more than 100,000 times while watching videos and have pixel count and resolution of 1,280 x 720 and 249ppi, respectively.
The book-type can be folded up to curvature radii of 2mm, while the three-way foldable can be folded up to 4mm. The three-way foldable type has OLED panels measuring 5.9 inch when unfolded.
The foldable panels were created combining white-light-emitting OLEDS and colour filter.
Display Week is an event where innovations in electronic display technology were showcased for the first time for the world to have a "first-look."
"Display Week is where the world got its first look at technologies that have shaped the display industry into what it is today: liquid crystal display (LCD) technology, organic light emitting diode (OLED) technology, HD and 4K TV, and advanced touch interfaces, just to name a few. Display Week is also where emerging industry trends such as flexible displays, electronic paper, displays for wearables, solid state lighting, digital signage, and printed electronics are brought to the forefront of the display industry," as described in the event's web site.
As electronic displays make up a $100-billion industry, the event is an opportunity for product innovators and engineers, designers, and business development decision-makers to convene and showcase display innovations.
"History has shown that the display innovations that first appear at Display Week are integrated into leading products within months to a few years," the event description read.
Meanwhile, Apple's iWatch is rumoured to have been fashioned with a curved organic OLED touchscreen. The purported device will retrieve health data like calorie consumption, sleep activity, blood glucose and blood oxygen levels, according to industry sources.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers