Hot-Shooting Spurs Beat Heat in Game 3, Take 2-1 Series Lead in 2014 NBA Finals
By James Patrick Quizon | June 11, 2014 2:09 PM EST
Kawhi Leonard and the San Antonio Spurs got off to a scorching start in Miami and beat LeBron James and the Heat to take a 2-1 series advantage in the 2014 NBA Finals.
The Spurs hit 18 of their first 20 shots in Game 3 and never looked back in netting the easy 111-92 victory over Heat, who struggled mightily to match San Antonio’s offensive power on this night.
San Antonio Spurs' Kawhi Leonard slam dunks against the Miami Heat during the first quarter in Game 3 of their NBA Finals basketball game in Miami, Florida, June 10, 2014.
Leonard, just 22 years of age, finished with 29 points on 10-of-13 field goal shooting for the Spurs, who scored 71 points in the first half.
The Spurs patented team basketball surprised the Heat from the start. Danny Green and Tony Parker chipped in 15 points apiece while Tim Duncan had 14 points. As a team, the Spurs shot 59.4 per cent from the field—even worse considering they shot over 70 per cent from the field before halftime—an NBA Finals record.
The Heat had little trouble scoring too; James (9/14 FG) and Wade (8/12) each had 22 and the Heat as a team finished 32-of-62 from the field (51.6%). Even Chris Bosh was perfect 4-of-4 from the field for 9 markers.
However, their non-existent defense allowed the Spurs’ early explosion. San Antonio led 41-25 after the first quarter and 71-50 after the first half.
Miami also had more turnovers, 20-12 and San Antonio took advantage with 23 turnover points.
Miami cut the lead down to seven points in the second half but the Spurs were just too poised to fold.
Game 4 is on Thursday still in Miami.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert