Hot-Shooting Spurs Beat Heat in Game 3, Take 2-1 Series Lead in 2014 NBA Finals
By James Patrick Quizon | June 11, 2014 2:09 PM EST
Kawhi Leonard and the San Antonio Spurs got off to a scorching start in Miami and beat LeBron James and the Heat to take a 2-1 series advantage in the 2014 NBA Finals.
The Spurs hit 18 of their first 20 shots in Game 3 and never looked back in netting the easy 111-92 victory over Heat, who struggled mightily to match San Antonio’s offensive power on this night.
San Antonio Spurs' Kawhi Leonard slam dunks against the Miami Heat during the first quarter in Game 3 of their NBA Finals basketball game in Miami, Florida, June 10, 2014.
Leonard, just 22 years of age, finished with 29 points on 10-of-13 field goal shooting for the Spurs, who scored 71 points in the first half.
The Spurs patented team basketball surprised the Heat from the start. Danny Green and Tony Parker chipped in 15 points apiece while Tim Duncan had 14 points. As a team, the Spurs shot 59.4 per cent from the field—even worse considering they shot over 70 per cent from the field before halftime—an NBA Finals record.
The Heat had little trouble scoring too; James (9/14 FG) and Wade (8/12) each had 22 and the Heat as a team finished 32-of-62 from the field (51.6%). Even Chris Bosh was perfect 4-of-4 from the field for 9 markers.
However, their non-existent defense allowed the Spurs’ early explosion. San Antonio led 41-25 after the first quarter and 71-50 after the first half.
Miami also had more turnovers, 20-12 and San Antonio took advantage with 23 turnover points.
Miami cut the lead down to seven points in the second half but the Spurs were just too poised to fold.
Game 4 is on Thursday still in Miami.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar