Hot-Shooting Spurs Beat Heat in Game 3, Take 2-1 Series Lead in 2014 NBA Finals
By James Patrick Quizon | June 11, 2014 2:09 PM EST
Kawhi Leonard and the San Antonio Spurs got off to a scorching start in Miami and beat LeBron James and the Heat to take a 2-1 series advantage in the 2014 NBA Finals.
The Spurs hit 18 of their first 20 shots in Game 3 and never looked back in netting the easy 111-92 victory over Heat, who struggled mightily to match San Antonio’s offensive power on this night.
San Antonio Spurs' Kawhi Leonard slam dunks against the Miami Heat during the first quarter in Game 3 of their NBA Finals basketball game in Miami, Florida, June 10, 2014.
Leonard, just 22 years of age, finished with 29 points on 10-of-13 field goal shooting for the Spurs, who scored 71 points in the first half.
The Spurs patented team basketball surprised the Heat from the start. Danny Green and Tony Parker chipped in 15 points apiece while Tim Duncan had 14 points. As a team, the Spurs shot 59.4 per cent from the field—even worse considering they shot over 70 per cent from the field before halftime—an NBA Finals record.
The Heat had little trouble scoring too; James (9/14 FG) and Wade (8/12) each had 22 and the Heat as a team finished 32-of-62 from the field (51.6%). Even Chris Bosh was perfect 4-of-4 from the field for 9 markers.
However, their non-existent defense allowed the Spurs’ early explosion. San Antonio led 41-25 after the first quarter and 71-50 after the first half.
Miami also had more turnovers, 20-12 and San Antonio took advantage with 23 turnover points.
Miami cut the lead down to seven points in the second half but the Spurs were just too poised to fold.
Game 4 is on Thursday still in Miami.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates