Hot-Shooting Spurs Beat Heat in Game 3, Take 2-1 Series Lead in 2014 NBA Finals
By James Patrick Quizon | June 11, 2014 2:09 PM EST
Kawhi Leonard and the San Antonio Spurs got off to a scorching start in Miami and beat LeBron James and the Heat to take a 2-1 series advantage in the 2014 NBA Finals.
The Spurs hit 18 of their first 20 shots in Game 3 and never looked back in netting the easy 111-92 victory over Heat, who struggled mightily to match San Antonio’s offensive power on this night.
San Antonio Spurs' Kawhi Leonard slam dunks against the Miami Heat during the first quarter in Game 3 of their NBA Finals basketball game in Miami, Florida, June 10, 2014.
Leonard, just 22 years of age, finished with 29 points on 10-of-13 field goal shooting for the Spurs, who scored 71 points in the first half.
The Spurs patented team basketball surprised the Heat from the start. Danny Green and Tony Parker chipped in 15 points apiece while Tim Duncan had 14 points. As a team, the Spurs shot 59.4 per cent from the field—even worse considering they shot over 70 per cent from the field before halftime—an NBA Finals record.
The Heat had little trouble scoring too; James (9/14 FG) and Wade (8/12) each had 22 and the Heat as a team finished 32-of-62 from the field (51.6%). Even Chris Bosh was perfect 4-of-4 from the field for 9 markers.
However, their non-existent defense allowed the Spurs’ early explosion. San Antonio led 41-25 after the first quarter and 71-50 after the first half.
Miami also had more turnovers, 20-12 and San Antonio took advantage with 23 turnover points.
Miami cut the lead down to seven points in the second half but the Spurs were just too poised to fold.
Game 4 is on Thursday still in Miami.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group Stage: Puerto Rico vs. Argentina Live Streaming Info and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: France vs. Serbia Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen