MLB News: Former A’s, Dodgers Pitcher Welch Dies at 57
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 11, 2014 1:27 PM EST
A legendary pitcher could not avoid a strike-out this time.
Former Oakland Athletics and Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Bob Welch passed away Monday night in Seal Beach, California, his legacy cemented in two California teams. The reasons for his passing were not yet released.
Yahoo Sports reports that Welch gained prominence during the 1978 World Series when he struck out Reggie Jackson in Game 2 and won the game. He was also a receipient of CY Young Award and pitched seasons with the Dodgers and seven with the Athletics all the while producing an accomplished resume.
"The Los Angeles Dodgers are saddened to learn of the passing of Bob Welch," Dodgers president and chief executive officer Stan Kasten said. "He was one of the greatest competitors to wear the Dodger uniform."
"This is a sad day for the entire A's organization," A's vice president and general manager Billy Beane said Tuesday. "Those of us who knew Bob as a teammate and a friend will miss him greatly. My condolences go out to his family."
During his decorated career, Welch won 211 games and struck out 1,969 batters in 3,092 innings. He pitched both as a starter and a reliever during his prodigy season in 1978, playing in the big leagues less than a year after the Dodgers selected him 10th in the 1977 amateur draft. A native of Detroit, his early career began in Eastern Michigan University. The Chicago Cubs had drafted him four years earlier, but the renowned pitcher chose a college career instead.
Details of his death have not been made known to the public but speculation is ripe that it may have been because of a heart attack. The A's the second of the two clubs in Welch career was the first to announce the passing of right-armed pitcher. A succeeding press release by the Los Angeles Dodgers stated that the cause of death was a heart attacj this despite Welch not having a history of heart weakness or trouble. His passing is widely regarded as unexpected at a ripe age of 57.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS