MLB News: Former A’s, Dodgers Pitcher Welch Dies at 57
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 11, 2014 1:27 PM EST
A legendary pitcher could not avoid a strike-out this time.
Former Oakland Athletics and Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Bob Welch passed away Monday night in Seal Beach, California, his legacy cemented in two California teams. The reasons for his passing were not yet released.
Yahoo Sports reports that Welch gained prominence during the 1978 World Series when he struck out Reggie Jackson in Game 2 and won the game. He was also a receipient of CY Young Award and pitched seasons with the Dodgers and seven with the Athletics all the while producing an accomplished resume.
"The Los Angeles Dodgers are saddened to learn of the passing of Bob Welch," Dodgers president and chief executive officer Stan Kasten said. "He was one of the greatest competitors to wear the Dodger uniform."
"This is a sad day for the entire A's organization," A's vice president and general manager Billy Beane said Tuesday. "Those of us who knew Bob as a teammate and a friend will miss him greatly. My condolences go out to his family."
During his decorated career, Welch won 211 games and struck out 1,969 batters in 3,092 innings. He pitched both as a starter and a reliever during his prodigy season in 1978, playing in the big leagues less than a year after the Dodgers selected him 10th in the 1977 amateur draft. A native of Detroit, his early career began in Eastern Michigan University. The Chicago Cubs had drafted him four years earlier, but the renowned pitcher chose a college career instead.
Details of his death have not been made known to the public but speculation is ripe that it may have been because of a heart attack. The A's the second of the two clubs in Welch career was the first to announce the passing of right-armed pitcher. A succeeding press release by the Los Angeles Dodgers stated that the cause of death was a heart attacj this despite Welch not having a history of heart weakness or trouble. His passing is widely regarded as unexpected at a ripe age of 57.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Wants To Talk To Manny Pacquiao About Super Fight If Filipino Beats Chris Algieri
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots