MLB News: Former A’s, Dodgers Pitcher Welch Dies at 57
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 11, 2014 1:27 PM EST
A legendary pitcher could not avoid a strike-out this time.
Former Oakland Athletics and Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Bob Welch passed away Monday night in Seal Beach, California, his legacy cemented in two California teams. The reasons for his passing were not yet released.
Yahoo Sports reports that Welch gained prominence during the 1978 World Series when he struck out Reggie Jackson in Game 2 and won the game. He was also a receipient of CY Young Award and pitched seasons with the Dodgers and seven with the Athletics all the while producing an accomplished resume.
"The Los Angeles Dodgers are saddened to learn of the passing of Bob Welch," Dodgers president and chief executive officer Stan Kasten said. "He was one of the greatest competitors to wear the Dodger uniform."
"This is a sad day for the entire A's organization," A's vice president and general manager Billy Beane said Tuesday. "Those of us who knew Bob as a teammate and a friend will miss him greatly. My condolences go out to his family."
During his decorated career, Welch won 211 games and struck out 1,969 batters in 3,092 innings. He pitched both as a starter and a reliever during his prodigy season in 1978, playing in the big leagues less than a year after the Dodgers selected him 10th in the 1977 amateur draft. A native of Detroit, his early career began in Eastern Michigan University. The Chicago Cubs had drafted him four years earlier, but the renowned pitcher chose a college career instead.
Details of his death have not been made known to the public but speculation is ripe that it may have been because of a heart attack. The A's the second of the two clubs in Welch career was the first to announce the passing of right-armed pitcher. A succeeding press release by the Los Angeles Dodgers stated that the cause of death was a heart attacj this despite Welch not having a history of heart weakness or trouble. His passing is widely regarded as unexpected at a ripe age of 57.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Manchester United Transfer News: Van Gaal Hits Back At Guardiola Claiming Every Player He Spoke To Wants Old Trafford Move
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border
- iPhone 6 Survives Drop, Both Accidental & Intentional
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?