MLB News: Former A’s, Dodgers Pitcher Welch Dies at 57
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 11, 2014 1:27 PM EST
A legendary pitcher could not avoid a strike-out this time.
Former Oakland Athletics and Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Bob Welch passed away Monday night in Seal Beach, California, his legacy cemented in two California teams. The reasons for his passing were not yet released.
Yahoo Sports reports that Welch gained prominence during the 1978 World Series when he struck out Reggie Jackson in Game 2 and won the game. He was also a receipient of CY Young Award and pitched seasons with the Dodgers and seven with the Athletics all the while producing an accomplished resume.
"The Los Angeles Dodgers are saddened to learn of the passing of Bob Welch," Dodgers president and chief executive officer Stan Kasten said. "He was one of the greatest competitors to wear the Dodger uniform."
"This is a sad day for the entire A's organization," A's vice president and general manager Billy Beane said Tuesday. "Those of us who knew Bob as a teammate and a friend will miss him greatly. My condolences go out to his family."
During his decorated career, Welch won 211 games and struck out 1,969 batters in 3,092 innings. He pitched both as a starter and a reliever during his prodigy season in 1978, playing in the big leagues less than a year after the Dodgers selected him 10th in the 1977 amateur draft. A native of Detroit, his early career began in Eastern Michigan University. The Chicago Cubs had drafted him four years earlier, but the renowned pitcher chose a college career instead.
Details of his death have not been made known to the public but speculation is ripe that it may have been because of a heart attack. The A's the second of the two clubs in Welch career was the first to announce the passing of right-armed pitcher. A succeeding press release by the Los Angeles Dodgers stated that the cause of death was a heart attacj this despite Welch not having a history of heart weakness or trouble. His passing is widely regarded as unexpected at a ripe age of 57.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics, Swimming Schedule & Results
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Rafael Nadal To Showcase Vintage Look at US Open - Report
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies