MLB News: Former A’s, Dodgers Pitcher Welch Dies at 57
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 11, 2014 1:27 PM EST
A legendary pitcher could not avoid a strike-out this time.
Former Oakland Athletics and Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Bob Welch passed away Monday night in Seal Beach, California, his legacy cemented in two California teams. The reasons for his passing were not yet released.
Yahoo Sports reports that Welch gained prominence during the 1978 World Series when he struck out Reggie Jackson in Game 2 and won the game. He was also a receipient of CY Young Award and pitched seasons with the Dodgers and seven with the Athletics all the while producing an accomplished resume.
"The Los Angeles Dodgers are saddened to learn of the passing of Bob Welch," Dodgers president and chief executive officer Stan Kasten said. "He was one of the greatest competitors to wear the Dodger uniform."
"This is a sad day for the entire A's organization," A's vice president and general manager Billy Beane said Tuesday. "Those of us who knew Bob as a teammate and a friend will miss him greatly. My condolences go out to his family."
During his decorated career, Welch won 211 games and struck out 1,969 batters in 3,092 innings. He pitched both as a starter and a reliever during his prodigy season in 1978, playing in the big leagues less than a year after the Dodgers selected him 10th in the 1977 amateur draft. A native of Detroit, his early career began in Eastern Michigan University. The Chicago Cubs had drafted him four years earlier, but the renowned pitcher chose a college career instead.
Details of his death have not been made known to the public but speculation is ripe that it may have been because of a heart attack. The A's the second of the two clubs in Welch career was the first to announce the passing of right-armed pitcher. A succeeding press release by the Los Angeles Dodgers stated that the cause of death was a heart attacj this despite Welch not having a history of heart weakness or trouble. His passing is widely regarded as unexpected at a ripe age of 57.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan