Pope Francis Takes Day Off, Nothing Major Says Vatican, Just Tired, Advisers Keen on Doomsday Conspiracy Mill
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 11, 2014 1:23 PM EST
So Pope Francis isn't a man of steel or ironman after all. Or just so we thought? The incumbent spiritual leader of the 1.2-billion strong Roman Catholic church has for the very first time filed for a leave of absence from work since taking on the post in March 2013. Vatican assured believers and skeptics alike it was nothing major, just that the pope was tired.
For a second day in a row since Monday, Pope Francis asked to cancel all his appointments so he can rest.
"Following a very historic and full weekend, Pope Francis has chosen to rest on Monday afternoon and today, Tuesday. He celebrated mass privately this morning and has cancelled audiences and meetings for the day. Therefore there will be no homily notes available today. The Holy See Press Office has assured us that the Pope's condition is not serious. Thank you," an e-mail from Rev. Thomas Rosica, who assists the Vatican press office with English language media, said.
Father Federico Lombardi S.J., Vatican spokesman, according to portal patheos.com, said the 77-year-old pope canceled the meetings "because of a minor indisposition."
"Yesterday the Pope was very tired because of the prayer for peace in the Middle East."
Lombardi stressed there is nothing to worry about on the pope's two-day absence from work. "His life has been very intense in the past few weeks. It is totally normal for the pope to rest."
For a man who only has one lung, Pope Francis has shown remarkable resiliency, physical and otherwise, since his election in 2013.
His advisers however have tried to pull him down to a reality check every so often. The pope, they said, is very workaholic.
"We have been asking him to have holidays this year," Religion News Service quoted Cardinal Oscar Rodriguez Maradiaga of Honduras. "Because last year he didn't and sometimes he's very tired."
Maradiaga said Pope Francis has considered their advice and will take a long leave of absence from work in August.
Even as he has hoards of believers praying for his health and success, Pope Francis expectedly also has his share of skeptics who not only critique his leadership, convictions and principles, but also pray for this death so that the conspiracy theory regarding the world's doomsday could finally happen.
"What worries me is that if Pope Francis suddenly collapses and dies the stupid conspiracy rumor mill will immediately kick in and we will have a whole new round of accusations about how the pope was bumped off by those sinister conservatives," Religion News Service quoted Rev. Dwight Longenecker, a South Carolina priest and frequent critic of Francis, on his blog at Patheos.com.
Maradiaga confirmed the praying ill-wishers.
"I have even heard people say 'We are praying for him (Francis) to die as soon as possible,'" Maradiaga said.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports