2014 World Cup: Cristiano Ronaldo ‘Fit’ to Play in Opener Against Germany
By Rachelle Corpuz | June 11, 2014 12:53 PM EST
Cristiano Ronaldo will be able to captain his country when it begins its 2014 World Cup campaign against Germany on June 16.
According to ESPN, the 29-year-old Portuguese footballer had been battling injuries recently which had left him absent during practice sessions for several weeks, raising speculations that the Real Madrid superstar will not be fit to participate in matches against Portugal's rival in Group G. Ronaldo has reportedly been aching a hamstring injury and tendonitis in his left leg.
Cristiano Ronaldo (L) of Portugal's National Team stretches with teammate Raul Meireles as they practice for their upcoming friendly soccer matches in the United States at the NFL New York Jets practice facility in Florham Park, New Jersey, June 3, 2014.
However, Ronaldo recently returned to training and was able to complete all the practice sessions ever since. A source further revealed to ESPN that Ronaldo will be playing in the Group G opener on June 16.
Germany is one of the favourite countries anticipated to win the 2014 World Cup title after finishing third place in the 2006 and 2010 tournaments, but Ronaldo remains sanguine and positive that his squad will perform well in the tournament.
"We are not favourites, indeed, but we will, as always, try to do the best possible," Ronaldo wrote.
"We know that we have a difficult group stage. In fact, in my opinion, it's the strongest group of the World Cup, but let's take one step at a time. We know we have an important match against Germany, the first one in the completion, then against Ghana, and finally against the United States."
"Our goal is obviously to pass the group stage, then we'll see."
Portugal and Germany have played each other three times in the last four major tournaments, with the Germans winning all three matches including the 2006 World Cup bronze playoff as well as the 2008 and 2012 European Championships.
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time