2014 World Cup: Cristiano Ronaldo ‘Fit’ to Play in Opener Against Germany
By Rachelle Corpuz | June 11, 2014 12:53 PM EST
Cristiano Ronaldo will be able to captain his country when it begins its 2014 World Cup campaign against Germany on June 16.
According to ESPN, the 29-year-old Portuguese footballer had been battling injuries recently which had left him absent during practice sessions for several weeks, raising speculations that the Real Madrid superstar will not be fit to participate in matches against Portugal's rival in Group G. Ronaldo has reportedly been aching a hamstring injury and tendonitis in his left leg.
Cristiano Ronaldo (L) of Portugal's National Team stretches with teammate Raul Meireles as they practice for their upcoming friendly soccer matches in the United States at the NFL New York Jets practice facility in Florham Park, New Jersey, June 3, 2014.
However, Ronaldo recently returned to training and was able to complete all the practice sessions ever since. A source further revealed to ESPN that Ronaldo will be playing in the Group G opener on June 16.
Germany is one of the favourite countries anticipated to win the 2014 World Cup title after finishing third place in the 2006 and 2010 tournaments, but Ronaldo remains sanguine and positive that his squad will perform well in the tournament.
"We are not favourites, indeed, but we will, as always, try to do the best possible," Ronaldo wrote.
"We know that we have a difficult group stage. In fact, in my opinion, it's the strongest group of the World Cup, but let's take one step at a time. We know we have an important match against Germany, the first one in the completion, then against Ghana, and finally against the United States."
"Our goal is obviously to pass the group stage, then we'll see."
Portugal and Germany have played each other three times in the last four major tournaments, with the Germans winning all three matches including the 2006 World Cup bronze playoff as well as the 2008 and 2012 European Championships.
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Manny Pacquiao Calls Out On Floyd Mayweather Jr. Again After Unbeaten Boxer Mocks Him With His KO Video
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Marussia Formula One Team Keeps Its Promise To Injured Driver
- Phil Hughes No More: Australian Batsman Dies at 25
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report