Sony Xperia SP New 12.1.A.1.205 Firmware Seeding Out In Europe and Still Android 4.3 Jelly Bean
By Ryan Inoyori | June 11, 2014 12:49 PM EST
New firmware for Sony Xperia SP is now rolling out from Orange and T-Mobile users in selected countries in Europe. It moves the smartphone from firmware build version 12.1.A.1.201 to 12.1.A.1.205 which carries incremental changes based on its numeral.
New Sony Xperia SP Update
PTCRB certified a new firmware build version 12.1.A.1.205 for the Sony Xperia SP C5302, C5303 and C5306 in May 23 which contains bug fixing patches. According to XperiaBlog, the new firmware will resolve issues reported by users who updated their Xperia SP to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean.
Even though the new firmware brings necessary bug squashing patches, it still runs Android 4.3 Jelly Bean based on the numeral used. It will move Xperia SP from 12.1.A.1.201 to 12.1.A.1.205 that obviously makes the update incremental rather than major.
One of the known bugs reported by users is the flickering screen issue after upgrading the software to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean 12.1.A.1.201 build version. Flickering screen issue include signs such as flickering light of the backlight which disrupts reading text content and viewing of media files.
Moreover, certain Sony Xperia SP smartphones running 12.1.A.0.266 are also affected by the same issue that has been carried over on 12.1.A.1.201.
Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update
As of today, there is no development yet for the Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware and Sony Mobile remains quite about it. Last month, a leaked roadmap hinted that Xperia SP will receive the next major firmware by June along with Xperia C and Xperia L getting Android 4.3 Jelly Bean.
Based on the leaked document, Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware update is scheduled from June to July 2014 for Xperia T2 Ultra, Xperia M2 and Xperia E1, and it matches the official announcement by Sony Mobile after releasing the update for Xperia Z series. But the company did not confirm Sony Xperia SP which appears on the document receiving Android 4.4.2 from June to July.
Regardless of Sony Mobile's plans for Android KitKat on Xperia SP, developers of CyanogenMod custom ROM have managed to create nightly builds for the smartphone running Android 4.4.3 KitKat.
Since CyanogenMod 11 running Android 4.4.3 KitKat is still partially unstable, users may have to endure certain bugs as the firmware goes into full developmental phase. In addition, users should know that CM 11 requires an unlocked boot loader for the installation. Check out the preview of CyanogenMod 11 for Sony Xperia SP smartphone.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 64-Bit Octa-Core CPU Expected On Samsung Galaxy S6 And Sony Xperia Z4
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- Nexus 9 NVIDIA Tegra K1 Beats Nexus 6 Adreno 420, Galaxy Note 4 Mali T-760 In GPU Tests
- Android 5.0 Lollipop SDK Makes Rooting More Difficult And Overriding Impose Serious Risk To Attacks
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier