Sony Xperia SP New 12.1.A.1.205 Firmware Seeding Out In Europe and Still Android 4.3 Jelly Bean
By Ryan Inoyori | June 11, 2014 12:49 PM EST
New firmware for Sony Xperia SP is now rolling out from Orange and T-Mobile users in selected countries in Europe. It moves the smartphone from firmware build version 12.1.A.1.201 to 12.1.A.1.205 which carries incremental changes based on its numeral.
New Sony Xperia SP Update
PTCRB certified a new firmware build version 12.1.A.1.205 for the Sony Xperia SP C5302, C5303 and C5306 in May 23 which contains bug fixing patches. According to XperiaBlog, the new firmware will resolve issues reported by users who updated their Xperia SP to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean.
Even though the new firmware brings necessary bug squashing patches, it still runs Android 4.3 Jelly Bean based on the numeral used. It will move Xperia SP from 12.1.A.1.201 to 12.1.A.1.205 that obviously makes the update incremental rather than major.
One of the known bugs reported by users is the flickering screen issue after upgrading the software to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean 12.1.A.1.201 build version. Flickering screen issue include signs such as flickering light of the backlight which disrupts reading text content and viewing of media files.
Moreover, certain Sony Xperia SP smartphones running 12.1.A.0.266 are also affected by the same issue that has been carried over on 12.1.A.1.201.
Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update
As of today, there is no development yet for the Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware and Sony Mobile remains quite about it. Last month, a leaked roadmap hinted that Xperia SP will receive the next major firmware by June along with Xperia C and Xperia L getting Android 4.3 Jelly Bean.
Based on the leaked document, Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware update is scheduled from June to July 2014 for Xperia T2 Ultra, Xperia M2 and Xperia E1, and it matches the official announcement by Sony Mobile after releasing the update for Xperia Z series. But the company did not confirm Sony Xperia SP which appears on the document receiving Android 4.4.2 from June to July.
Regardless of Sony Mobile's plans for Android KitKat on Xperia SP, developers of CyanogenMod custom ROM have managed to create nightly builds for the smartphone running Android 4.4.3 KitKat.
Since CyanogenMod 11 running Android 4.4.3 KitKat is still partially unstable, users may have to endure certain bugs as the firmware goes into full developmental phase. In addition, users should know that CM 11 requires an unlocked boot loader for the installation. Check out the preview of CyanogenMod 11 for Sony Xperia SP smartphone.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Android 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 KitKat Still Delayed for Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note 3
- GTA V Online: Money-Glitch Ban Goes After Cheaters as a New Zombie DLC Leak is Spotted
- PS4 News: 2 Possible Sets of PS Plus Games for August 2014 Leaked and Additional Features for PS4
- Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet 17.1.2.A.0.314 Firmware Update to Improve Touch Screen and Charging Speed
- Nokia Lumia 630 vs. Sony Xperia M Specs and Price Comparison in Australia
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date