'Avengers 2' Casting News: James Spader Talks about Eccentric Role, Josh Brolin to Voice Villain Thanos in 'Avengers: Age of Ultron'
By Jenalyn Villamarin | June 11, 2014 11:54 AM EST
Fans are excited to see the members of the Avengers and the villains that the superheroes will fight off in the "Avengers: Age of Ultron" film. "The Blacklist" actor James Spader is set to portray the machine nemesis Ultron and talks about the eccentric role while actor Josh Brolin will provide the voice for Thanos, another villain in the upcoming movie.
In the L.A. Times interview, James Spader opened up on what makes him accept an eccentric role like Ultron in the "Avengers" sequel, Raymond Reddington in "The Blacklist," Alan Shore in "Boston Legal" and Robert California in "The Office." The 54-year-old actor admitted that he is drawn to that type of characters.
"Maybe it's that I like reading something on the page that allows you to fill in the blanks as an actor," Spader explained in the interview. The actor even jokingly added that maybe it is something that he has an understanding for.
"I just always am drawn to that, even on the street. It never quite gets weird enough for me. And when I look at all my friends, they're weird. Maybe I have to cop to that. Maybe I'm just that," Spader further explained. Even film director Joss Whedon revealed in the Classicalite report that he is having a blast with James Spader's eccentric take on Ultron, a robot who is indisputably disturbed.
"We're finding out what makes him menacing and at the same time endearing and funny and strange and unexpected, and everything a robot never is," the director shared. With Ultron as the new villain, Josh Whedon admitted that more conflict is needed this time in the film because the Earth's Mightiest Heroes was against one British character actor in "The Avengers" film.
Aside from Ultron, Thanos will also be appearing as the enemy in "Avengers: Age of Ultron" and actor Josh Brolin provides the voice for the
villain character. According to The Wrap report, an unnamed insider revealed that the character will have a more prominent role in the "Avengers" sequel after appearing in the "Guardians of the Galaxy" film.
James Spader and Josh Brolin joins the "Avengers 2: Age of Ultron" cast members that include Robert Downey Jr, Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson Jeremy Renner, Cobie Smulders, and Samuel L Jackson. "Avengers 2: Age of Ultron" is scheduled to hit the U.S. theaters on May 1, 2015.
More Articles to Read:
'Avengers 2: The Age of Ultron' Review: Closer Look of New Characters' Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, and New Nemesis Ultron - [READ]
Scarlett Johansson Pregnancy: Filming Schedule For 'Avengers 2' Rearranged, Production Team to Fast-Track Black Widow Scenes - [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Trial’s Second Week: TPB Founder’s Co-Defendant Answers Questions Plus Jacob Appelbaum Appears
- Miley Cyrus Naked Picture In Bathroom: 'Bangerz' Singer Shares The Racy Picture With Fans
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date