'Avengers 2' Casting News: James Spader Talks about Eccentric Role, Josh Brolin to Voice Villain Thanos in 'Avengers: Age of Ultron'
By Jenalyn Villamarin | June 11, 2014 11:54 AM EST
Fans are excited to see the members of the Avengers and the villains that the superheroes will fight off in the "Avengers: Age of Ultron" film. "The Blacklist" actor James Spader is set to portray the machine nemesis Ultron and talks about the eccentric role while actor Josh Brolin will provide the voice for Thanos, another villain in the upcoming movie.
In the L.A. Times interview, James Spader opened up on what makes him accept an eccentric role like Ultron in the "Avengers" sequel, Raymond Reddington in "The Blacklist," Alan Shore in "Boston Legal" and Robert California in "The Office." The 54-year-old actor admitted that he is drawn to that type of characters.
"Maybe it's that I like reading something on the page that allows you to fill in the blanks as an actor," Spader explained in the interview. The actor even jokingly added that maybe it is something that he has an understanding for.
"I just always am drawn to that, even on the street. It never quite gets weird enough for me. And when I look at all my friends, they're weird. Maybe I have to cop to that. Maybe I'm just that," Spader further explained. Even film director Joss Whedon revealed in the Classicalite report that he is having a blast with James Spader's eccentric take on Ultron, a robot who is indisputably disturbed.
"We're finding out what makes him menacing and at the same time endearing and funny and strange and unexpected, and everything a robot never is," the director shared. With Ultron as the new villain, Josh Whedon admitted that more conflict is needed this time in the film because the Earth's Mightiest Heroes was against one British character actor in "The Avengers" film.
Aside from Ultron, Thanos will also be appearing as the enemy in "Avengers: Age of Ultron" and actor Josh Brolin provides the voice for the
villain character. According to The Wrap report, an unnamed insider revealed that the character will have a more prominent role in the "Avengers" sequel after appearing in the "Guardians of the Galaxy" film.
James Spader and Josh Brolin joins the "Avengers 2: Age of Ultron" cast members that include Robert Downey Jr, Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson Jeremy Renner, Cobie Smulders, and Samuel L Jackson. "Avengers 2: Age of Ultron" is scheduled to hit the U.S. theaters on May 1, 2015.
More Articles to Read:
'Avengers 2: The Age of Ultron' Review: Closer Look of New Characters' Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, and New Nemesis Ultron - [READ]
Scarlett Johansson Pregnancy: Filming Schedule For 'Avengers 2' Rearranged, Production Team to Fast-Track Black Widow Scenes - [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- ‘Star Wars 7: The Force Awakens’ Leaked Dialogue Of Han Solo From Upcoming Trailer [Spoilers]
- Beyonce’s ‘Ring Off’ Isn’t About Her Alleged Crumbling Marriage to Jay Z, But About Her Parents [VIDEOS]
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced