'Avengers 2' Casting News: James Spader Talks about Eccentric Role, Josh Brolin to Voice Villain Thanos in 'Avengers: Age of Ultron'
By Jenalyn Villamarin | June 11, 2014 11:54 AM EST
Fans are excited to see the members of the Avengers and the villains that the superheroes will fight off in the "Avengers: Age of Ultron" film. "The Blacklist" actor James Spader is set to portray the machine nemesis Ultron and talks about the eccentric role while actor Josh Brolin will provide the voice for Thanos, another villain in the upcoming movie.
In the L.A. Times interview, James Spader opened up on what makes him accept an eccentric role like Ultron in the "Avengers" sequel, Raymond Reddington in "The Blacklist," Alan Shore in "Boston Legal" and Robert California in "The Office." The 54-year-old actor admitted that he is drawn to that type of characters.
"Maybe it's that I like reading something on the page that allows you to fill in the blanks as an actor," Spader explained in the interview. The actor even jokingly added that maybe it is something that he has an understanding for.
"I just always am drawn to that, even on the street. It never quite gets weird enough for me. And when I look at all my friends, they're weird. Maybe I have to cop to that. Maybe I'm just that," Spader further explained. Even film director Joss Whedon revealed in the Classicalite report that he is having a blast with James Spader's eccentric take on Ultron, a robot who is indisputably disturbed.
"We're finding out what makes him menacing and at the same time endearing and funny and strange and unexpected, and everything a robot never is," the director shared. With Ultron as the new villain, Josh Whedon admitted that more conflict is needed this time in the film because the Earth's Mightiest Heroes was against one British character actor in "The Avengers" film.
Aside from Ultron, Thanos will also be appearing as the enemy in "Avengers: Age of Ultron" and actor Josh Brolin provides the voice for the
villain character. According to The Wrap report, an unnamed insider revealed that the character will have a more prominent role in the "Avengers" sequel after appearing in the "Guardians of the Galaxy" film.
James Spader and Josh Brolin joins the "Avengers 2: Age of Ultron" cast members that include Robert Downey Jr, Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson Jeremy Renner, Cobie Smulders, and Samuel L Jackson. "Avengers 2: Age of Ultron" is scheduled to hit the U.S. theaters on May 1, 2015.
More Articles to Read:
'Avengers 2: The Age of Ultron' Review: Closer Look of New Characters' Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, and New Nemesis Ultron - [READ]
Scarlett Johansson Pregnancy: Filming Schedule For 'Avengers 2' Rearranged, Production Team to Fast-Track Black Widow Scenes - [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Bachelorette 2014, Bachelor 2015 Spoilers: Andi Dorfman Hints at Next Bachelor; Find Out What He Thinks About the Job
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic says ‘Back in the Saddle’, Beckett, Castle Romance to Grow Stronger
- Orange is the New Black Update: Reality T.V. Star to Appear in Season 3, Actor Says Show can Run for Long Time, even with New Protagonist
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People